FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Hand baggage-only fares have turned people into monsters
Old Nov 20, 2017, 3:56 pm
squawk

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I am always HBO and have one large bag, within dimensions, with everything in it. It isn't a rollaboard, more of a duffle bag, so squidgy, which is a crucial help.
I needed a small holdall earlier this year and picked up the bag which c-w-s has recommended in a few threads (on my phone or I’d link to them). The thing which sold me was a comment along the lines of it being “invisible to gate agents” Not yet had occasion to use it as carry on but it is quite cavernous and when not in use folds up inside itself with the aid of zippers to something about the size of a large paperback. I’ll have to dig out the thread and leave a proper review!

I agree, a lot of stress in boarding is caused by people being inconsiderate around others. In my case, my usual medium backpack (North Face Borealis) can go under the seat in front at a push, but unless it’s almost empty I much prefer it in the overhead so that I have some room for my feet. There is almost always enough room for it sitting on top of others’ suitcases, and still leave space for jackets etc on top. What is frustrating is when people take up all of the space with their bags without placing them sensibly, eg putting smalll bags end on, or putting smaller plastic bags in a space that would be better used for a suitcass - leaving lots of space available but in small pockets.