Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Hand baggage-only fares have turned people into monsters

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hand baggage-only fares have turned people into monsters

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2017, 5:50 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Gazkane
I dont generally adhere to the small bag under the seat rule, if i only have one small bag, im not sure why my legroom should be penalised to allow someone with a larger bag to take the space instead. Especially when legroom is at a premium and my knees dont do too well.
Precisely. A radical step would be to ban ALL wheelie bags from the cabin! The above issue it somewhat critical on TATLs where leg room in Y is already abysmal - those who check in their larger bag are being penalised by those who take both the larger (although still within the limits) and smaller bag (often as large as the larger one!) onboard.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 6:24 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriot Gold, Radisson Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by wythy
The real reason that LCC carriers encouraged their passengers to bring their luggage on board with them is that it takes a long time to load and offload a bulk loaded aircraft full of bags greatly extending the turn-around times of the aircraft. BA doesn't have this problem as, for the most part, their aircraft are Containerized and off loading and loading is a very quick process. BA have really just created a solution to a problem that didn't exist for them.
In which case BA doesn't have the need to charge for hand luggage, it doesn't appear to make much of a difference in costs...

You do have to wonder if they just put it back to luggage in the hold, whether this would all go away, or have a lot of people seen that HBO can actually be a good thing with fast exits, no queues for checking in the luggage (especially with no status), and continue to just do it...
Old Nov 21, 2017, 6:29 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
The real reason that LCC carriers encouraged their passengers to bring their luggage on board with them is that it takes a long time to load and offload a bulk loaded aircraft full of bags greatly extending the turn-around times of the aircraft. BA doesn't have this problem as, for the most part, their aircraft are Containerized and off loading and loading is a very quick process. BA have really just created a solution to a problem that didn't exist for them.
Yet FR's minimum turnaround time is 25 minutes, BA is typically 40
Old Nov 21, 2017, 7:00 am

Programs: BA GGL for a little while longer
Apologies if this has been covered above (I've been reading the forum off and on between flights), but I for one would be delighted to gate-check my wheelie if I could get it back somewhere close to the airbridge as I disembarked... in fact, I might even be persuaded to pay a fiver for that kind of service

It's the waiting around at the carousel that really puts me off, especially in places like BCN where delivery is glacially slow

P.S. Have never worked in ground handling so no idea of the practical challenges this might involve !
Old Nov 21, 2017, 7:08 am

Originally Posted by scottishpoet
Yet FR's minimum turnaround time is 25 minutes, BA is typically 40
BA also include a cleaning service within the turn around time. RYR also pack out their block times, so in reality, there are very few 25min turns across the network. BA do not adopt that practice.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 8:14 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
BA also include a cleaning service within the turn around time.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 10:08 am

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
SWMBO puts much too much in to her back pack. It weighs a ton. Then, to justify all the unnecessary stuff in there, she always keeps it by her feet.
Mine is light as a feather, but MUST go above my head.

Takes all sorts!!
Old Nov 21, 2017, 10:12 am
Suspended

Sometimes we get so involved with looking at the trees, we cannot see the forest.

Everyone is agreeing that carry-on is a problem. Everyone is also assuming that carry-on must exist. Anyone know what 'assume' does?

Anyone know what Occam's Razor is? The simple solution to the issue is to remove carry-on altogether since doing so means the issues will no longer exist. The more complex you make a solution, the more unlikely it is to work. The simple and OBVIOUS solution is usually the best solution.

Of course many people will say, 'but I need to go carry-on only as I'm in a rush when I deplane and besides, I'm not the problem, I only take a small bag.' That logic is flawed however. First, if you contribute to carry-on space requirements at all, you are part of the problem.

Second, if I were you, I would be asking myself, 'what's the rush?' I know most people live their lives in a rush, the evidence is all around us. However, it being a common malady does not make it any less of a malady. So would you say the answer is to try and find an 'aspirin' to treat the SYMPTOM or to try and find an answer that treats the CAUSE of the symptom? I prefer to treat the cause. The cause is being in a rush. The simple solution is to slow down. An aspirin may get rid of a headache but it does nothing about what caused the headache.

As the saying goes, 'the people get what the people deserve'. That saying is absolutely correct. But it refers to the plural, it does not refer to the individual. A group will always get what the group as a whole deserves even though it may not be what each individual in the group deserves. As long as the group insists on lower airfares and being allowed to take baggage into the cabin, that's what they will get, at a PRICE. That price is not in money, it is in all the more important things like comfort, safety, convenience, etc.

There is no point in the individual complaining about everyone else in the group acting in their own self-interest, when that individual also wants to act in their own self-interest. The only way to change what a group wants and will get, is when enough individuals start to act in the best interest of all EVEN when it is not in their own self-interest. Flyertalk has a huge number of fairly frequent flyers, the bread and butter of the airline industry. If organized, there is real potential for them to influence the airlines but until they start advocating doing away with overhead bins entirely (the only simple and effective solution) the issue will only continue to get worse, it's never going to get better. Why? Because the people get what the people deserve.
wythy and SussexFly like this.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 10:23 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by dulciusexasperis
Flyertalk has a huge number of fairly frequent flyers, the bread and butter of the airline industry.
I disagree. It is a very tiny section of air travel users.

Now, how about items that the insurance AND airlines refuse to cover? How about items that cannot travel in the hold, such as essential medicines?

Last edited by LTN Phobia; Nov 21, 2017 at 10:36 am
Old Nov 21, 2017, 10:28 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
.... RYR also pack out their block times, so in reality.... BA do not adopt that practice.
No? 55 minute flight time from Glasgow, 1 hour 25/ 1 hour 30 minutes in the timetable?
Old Nov 21, 2017, 10:29 am

Programs: BA GGL for a little while longer
Sometimes we get so involved with looking at the trees, we cannot see the forest.

Everyone is agreeing that carry-on is a problem. Everyone is also assuming that carry-on must exist. Anyone know what 'assume' does?

Anyone know what Occam's Razor is? The simple solution to the issue is to remove carry-on altogether since doing so means the issues will no longer exist. The more complex you make a solution, the more unlikely it is to work. The simple and OBVIOUS solution is usually the best solution.

Of course many people will say, 'but I need to go carry-on only as I'm in a rush when I deplane and besides, I'm not the problem, I only take a small bag.' That logic is flawed however. First, if you contribute to carry-on space requirements at all, you are part of the problem.

Second, if I were you, I would be asking myself, 'what's the rush?' I know most people live their lives in a rush, the evidence is all around us. However, it being a common malady does not make it any less of a malady. So would you say the answer is to try and find an 'aspirin' to treat the SYMPTOM or to try and find an answer that treats the CAUSE of the symptom? I prefer to treat the cause. The cause is being in a rush. The simple solution is to slow down. An aspirin may get rid of a headache but it does nothing about what caused the headache.

As the saying goes, 'the people get what the people deserve'. That saying is absolutely correct. But it refers to the plural, it does not refer to the individual. A group will always get what the group as a whole deserves even though it may not be what each individual in the group deserves. As long as the group insists on lower airfares and being allowed to take baggage into the cabin, that's what they will get, at a PRICE. That price is not in money, it is in all the more important things like comfort, safety, convenience, etc.

There is no point in the individual complaining about everyone else in the group acting in their own self-interest, when that individual also wants to act in their own self-interest. The only way to change what a group wants and will get, is when enough individuals start to act in the best interest of all EVEN when it is not in their own self-interest. Flyertalk has a huge number of fairly frequent flyers, the bread and butter of the airline industry. If organized, there is real potential for them to influence the airlines but until they start advocating doing away with overhead bins entirely (the only simple and effective solution) the issue will only continue to get worse, it's never going to get better. Why? Because the people get what the people deserve.
Well, it;'s not often that I read I post I disagree with 100%

So, what about essential medicines, valuable items, hell - even something to read ? Would you deny us access to all those ? Or should we just take the train ?

Hand luggage is an essential part of many travelers lives ... the onus is on the operating carriers to have policies, procedures, rules and enforcement to ensure the group and the individual get clear and consistent messages and experiences.

And as for not living in a rush... perhaps you have never had a job where you get the first flight on Monday morning to the client's city then have to hustle to get to site early enough to prevent moans or even complaints... and then on Tuesday you go from the client's city to another site which involves a short haul flight and again you are on the clock to get there by a certain time etc. And back to the first site on Thursday and home on Friday. I did, and it would have been impossible without hand luggage,

FR have shown it can be done:
  • BA could adopt "90 on, the rest under" tomorrow if they had the will.
  • They could enforce size and piece limits tomorrow if they had the will.
  • They could implement positive tagging (i.e. can only go in the overhead if it has a tag of a certain colour) ... if they had the will
  • They do not have the will.
The only way to be fair and consistent with groups of humans is, ... to be fair and consistent (and firm) !!

Anything else smack of blaming the victim
Old Nov 21, 2017, 4:49 pm

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I hadn't thought of that, but yes, my tactic only works because others can't / won't do anything other that get to a gate stupidly early, then get bored, then start queuing up, get bored again, start focusing on micro problems due to boredom, let the blood pressure rise.....
An economist once told me that if you don't miss at least 1 flight in 20 you're getting to the airport too early.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 5:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: Life Miles, Miles and more

Have you heard the phrase 'cutting off your nose to spite your face'? Your 'solution' may be effective in solving one particular problem, but ask yourself, does it cause a lot more rather larger ones? I'm sure others will point them out. Denying the majority the convenience of access to their valuables because of what remains a problem only affecting a minority of travellers, does not seem a sensible solution that improves the status quo to me.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 2:29 am

Second, if I were you, I would be asking myself, 'what's the rush?'
Well, last time I flew back from HAN, I had 2 hours and 20 minutes to make the last train to Cambridge at Kings Cross. Due to 1 hour late due to holding pattern, plus HEX at 20 quid, plus tenner taxi, I made it with seven minutes to spare.

Sometimes there's a rush.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 2:29 am

Originally Posted by yurtripper
An economist once told me that if you don't miss at least 1 flight in 20 you're getting to the airport too early.
That economist didn't have status and a reason to be at the airport "too" early, free champers...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.