Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Boarding by group to be introduced [general discussion]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 9, 2018, 5:44 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: KARFA
Please use this thread for discussion, conjecture and speculation about the Group Boarding Process.

Experiences of the actual process in airports should be made in the dedicated thread:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...periences.html

Group Boarding Summary (courtesy chris1979)

NB. Customers with additional needs will be offered pre-boarding ahead of all the groups listed above.

Boarding priority for Executive Club Gold, Silver or Bronze Members or oneworld equivalents, will automatically be reflected in the group number given on their boarding pass. If they arrive after their group has been called, they can use the priority boarding lane to go through before the flight closes.

Please note that priority boarding will not be reflected for any other people travelling with an Executive Club Member on the same booking at the moment, but will be introduced in the coming months. In the meantime, the whole party can use the priority boarding lane and our staff will endeavour to board everyone together.

Pre-boarding
Families with small children
We invite families with infants under two and young children in pushchairs to board first, so that the whole family can settle in. Customers must arrive by the time specified on their boarding pass so that they are ready to board and we have enough time
to load their pushchair into the hold.

Customers requiring disability or mobility assistance
We will assist customers on to the aircraft ahead of other passengers so that they have time to settle in and get comfortable. Please contact us at least 48 hours before their flight so that we can make the necessary arrangements.
Print Wikipost

Boarding by group to be introduced [general discussion]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2017, 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by EsherFlyer
To have any hope of the new system working BA will have had to give their gate teams training / reminders on enforcing it prior to launch. Maybe that has encouraged the bold to apply the same to the current system?
Both flights I took last week were called correctly - CE+Gold then Silver then Bronze.

Outbound of LHR - I saw people turned away at the desk and asked to stand aside when in the incorrect group - there was no line to patrol prior to boarding starting (amazingly).

Someone walked the line on my return from CDG and weeded out non-CE+Gold 5 minutes before it was called. Then promptly took all comers when they actually called it (no request to step aside).

So I think the message has gone out.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 4:01 pm

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold;BA GGL; hhonors lifetime diamond; Marriott lt Gold; IH Plat Amb; Amex Centurion
A minor data point. I was on a flight to Rome today - which granted the destination was full of people whose attitude to rules was elastic - and several people who were ahead of me in the priority queue at the time they were calling CE and Golds were turned away. Well done gate staff!
Old Dec 15, 2017, 4:37 pm

Programs: BA Gold, B6 Mosiac, VS, AA, DL (and a legacy UA 2MM)
Originally Posted by hsmall
.... and several people who were ahead of me in the priority queue at the time they were calling CE and Golds were turned away. Well done gate staff!
On my flight as well - I heard several people turned away for trying to board earlier than they should - well done.

One thing that BA could do that they have not figured out yet: Don't allow people to line up inside the marked lanes until boarding starts - rope off all lanes. Lots of people think that their particular status deserves "priority" boarding and so, as I noticed Tuesday LHR->SFO, they start filling the priority lane early. Once the boarding has begun, it's difficult for people to get by when their proper group is called.

Also, is it really necessary to announce OneWorld statuses like OneWorld Emerald/Ruby etc? These names are obscure enough to the infrequent traveler that they cause people to line up if they don't know whether they should or not. Just say "now boarding First and BA Gold members". If you're an Emerald member, you've very likely already figured out that you can board with the Golds, if not...
Gorcat and Silver Fox like this.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 7:46 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, TK Elite, Hilton Diamond
Just flew KLM from Singapore to Bali and the boarding process was so much more organised than any flight I've had recently. A roped off area which was manned for business/elite plus members and once boarding began they waited until everyone from the roped section had boarded before the zoned boarding.
Old Dec 16, 2017, 12:58 am

Programs: EasyJet Flight Club
Just come back from Frankfurt - it ended up being Club/BAEC, then economy - but with a minute gap between. It was a very quiet flight though.
Old Dec 16, 2017, 1:20 am

Originally Posted by StingWest
On my flight as well - I heard several people turned away for trying to board earlier than they should - well done.

One thing that BA could do that they have not figured out yet: Don't allow people to line up inside the marked lanes until boarding starts - rope off all lanes. Lots of people think that their particular status deserves "priority" boarding and so, as I noticed Tuesday LHR->SFO, they start filling the priority lane early. Once the boarding has begun, it's difficult for people to get by when their proper group is called.
It really doesn't work. Instead of queuing inside the barriers - they queue at the roped off section. Try CDG on an evening flight for a good example.

All that will work is turning people who aren't entitled at that point away. Once they learn they aren't boarding and now have to go back to either a) the back of the priority queue or b) the back of the economy line - they'll stop. It'll take 6-9 months to become properly effective - but it will work over time.
Old Dec 16, 2017, 1:21 am

Originally Posted by StingWest
Also, is it really necessary to announce OneWorld statuses like OneWorld Emerald/Ruby etc? These names are obscure enough to the infrequent traveler that they cause people to line up if they don't know whether they should or not. Just say "now boarding First and BA Gold members". If you're an Emerald member, you've very likely already figured out that you can board with the Golds, if not...
Sorry for the 2nd post - forgot - I was going to comment on this too.

On this point - this is where the groups will come in - no more long announcements - simply "group 1 may board now"
Old Dec 16, 2017, 1:29 am

Programs: AVIS presidents club, BA GGL, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum Elite
I have since found out that the automatic boarding gates in T5 do not detect status or boarding group number, and more importantly, they never will.

As the plan is to introduce automatic boarding gates at every gate in T5, thereby reducing the amount of BA agents at the gate, there will be no human check of the boarding pass and therefore no human check of boarding entitlement. So those who realise this will just stroll up anyway knowing the gates will not refuse them entry.

Shame that they couldn’t build this into the automatic gate system as that would have been great to see people trying their luck and the gates refusing them entry.
Old Dec 16, 2017, 1:52 am

Programs: BA (Gold). Various other statuses
Boarded the 988 from LHR to TXL last night. They first called Club Europe and Gold card holders in one group, specifically asking other card holders to wait until they were called. Don’t know what happened after that as we had boarded. The cabin crew had problems storing all the hand luggage even though some pax had checked their cases in at the gate.
Old Dec 16, 2017, 4:01 am

Programs: BA Gold....er now Silver...er now Bronze....er now Blue
VIE-LHR yesterday. Full flight - called Club + Gold/Silver/Bronze all together then less than a minute later tried to board by seat row but it ended up being a total free for all.
Old Dec 16, 2017, 4:41 am
Suspended

Programs: M&S, Radisson
Originally Posted by MPH1980
On this point - this is where the groups will come in - no more long announcements - simply "group 1 may board now"
You may have the groups for clarity, but also to disguise that there are first- and second-class customers. UK-based pax might be accustomed to class systems, but customers from many other countries are not. In fact, people might get upset (sometimes even outright aggressive) when realizing they are not equal but second or third relative to some other pax.
Old Dec 16, 2017, 5:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
I must say my favourite process is the way UA does it at some stations: one roped line for each boarding group (they have 7 or 8 I think). It is enforced and prioritised properly too. Group number is written in very large numbers.
Old Dec 16, 2017, 6:00 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by 1flyer
You may have the groups for clarity, but also to disguise that there are first- and second-class customers. UK-based pax might be accustomed to class systems, but customers from many other countries are not. In fact, people might get upset (sometimes even outright aggressive) when realizing they are not equal but second or third relative to some other pax.
Whilst I agree that the group system will tend to mask this problem, the real solution to this is a bit of aversion therapy. If you engage in aggressive behavior you should be warned about it and the consequence, the consequence being if you continue you will be denied boarding and dealt with by security. That will tend to focus minds.

It all comes down in the end that people need to learn to do as they are told, as is it is the fundamental issue with boarding, hand luggage, crew instructions etc that have been debated to death on here for years. In fact it seems to take up 90% of the DYKWIA thread.

People, please believe the fact that you are not more important than anyone else.
T8191 and TheOldMan like this.
Old Dec 16, 2017, 6:08 am
Suspended

Programs: M&S, Radisson
Originally Posted by orbitmic
I must say my favourite process is the way UA does it at some stations: one roped line for each boarding group (they have 7 or 8 I think).
I don't like the UA process. I think they have pre-boarding + 5 groups. And sometimes, almost everybody is group 2 or higher (*S as well as holders of United-branded CCs get group 2). It makes your *G status basically useless. In that regard, other *A tend to be better, allowing priority boarding only for *G.
Old Dec 16, 2017, 6:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by kanderson1965

People, please believe the fact that you are not more important than anyone else.
What was that phrase? "But I am a BA GOld Member, and oneWorld Emerald."
I don't have a giraffe, though

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.