Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Seriously - Is this a premium offering?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2017, 4:38 am

Location: Manchester but from Yorkshire better known as Gods country
Programs: BA Gold, , Sandals plat
I will be in this lounge on Sunday and personally I don’t see the problem. I’ll be offered breakfast on the flight, but more likely I will eat in the CCR. I would imagine that the food wastage would be very high if the fridges were fully stocked.

On a separate note I can’t understand why people who complain about having to do the four sectors on BA to attain status, don’t just join the flying club of the airline they so obviously prefer?. If I felt so dissatisfied which any airline I would avoid them at all cost.
Tobias-UK and nancypants like this.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 7:10 am

Originally Posted by PJSMITH0
I will be in this lounge on Sunday and personally I don’t see the problem. I’ll be offered breakfast on the flight, but more likely I will eat in the CCR. I would imagine that the food wastage would be very high if the fridges were fully stocked.

On a separate note I can’t understand why people who complain about having to do the four sectors on BA to attain status, don’t just join the flying club of the airline they so obviously prefer?. If I felt so dissatisfied which any airline I would avoid them at all cost.
I'd hazard a guess that many others would also see no problem if they too were i) flying CE out of AMS therefore getting fed/watered on the flight, and ii) transferring onto an F flight from LHR T5 and so can access the CCR straight after anyway.

On a separate note, I can't understand why this has anything at all to do with flying four BA sectors to attain status
Old Nov 1, 2017, 9:29 am

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
An interesting number "like" the post about getting the munchies in Amsterdam.............
Old Nov 2, 2017, 3:36 am

Location: Manchester but from Yorkshire better known as Gods country
Programs: BA Gold, , Sandals plat
On a separate note, I can't understand why this has anything at all to do with flying four BA sectors to attain status [/QUOTE]

It was a reference to a post upthread by the OP who said that this was two of the sectors needed to achieve gold whilst nearly all the TP’s were gained on other airlines.
nancypants likes this.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 2:31 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Avis President
Yup,

this has all been pointed out in my post "the rise of the fake lounge" with particular reference to AMS. It's comfortable with a decent view...but the food...

Chris
Old Nov 2, 2017, 8:34 pm
Moderator, Emirates

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Platinum, KQ Asante Gold, Shebamiles Blue, Emirates Blue
Originally Posted by simons1
Can't say it really surprises me. BA flights from Amsterdam are all short hops....perhaps the airline thinks what it is providing is commensurate with the trip being undertaken.

I'm not sure a 3 course meal is a realistic expectation here.
But a bit of a poor show for CX passengers who also use the lounge. I think I'll be splashing out on a Euro16.95 CitizenM breakfast before my trip in 4 weeks time

At least there will be the excellent apron views .

​​​​​​​S
Old Nov 2, 2017, 10:41 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by Chris_G
this has all been pointed out in my post "the rise of the fake lounge" with particular reference to AMS. It's comfortable with a decent view...but the food...
Those who complain about the food at AMS haven't seen the food at some domestic lounges that JL have/use. Actually, that's not surprising because they don't have any to see.*

To top it all, there is actually no food on board, often not even a drink on short sectors, unless you are in domestic F (in which case you do receive a decent meal). On some routes all you receive is just a lolly. Seriously. Yet no-one would accuse JL of cost-cutting or being cheap and nasty for not offering food (even on this forum) on those flights.
Short haul flying is pretty commoditised over there and with fares starting at around Ł60 it's not really surprising.

And after writing that, I think I might have just identified a common factor here - except that BA flights to/from AMS start well below Ł60 I think?

*In their defence Diamond Premier lounges now offer rice balls as well as bread/pastries and crackers and in some cases 2" x 2" x 0.8" finger sandwiches. I am not sure about what food is on offer at their 'base level' Sakura lounges.
Old Nov 3, 2017, 2:03 am

Originally Posted by Saltire74
But a bit of a poor show for CX passengers who also use the lounge. I think I'll be splashing out on a Euro16.95 CitizenM breakfast before my trip in 4 weeks time

At least there will be the excellent apron views .

S
Maybe, but I'm not sure what that has to do with BA/this thread.

Insofar as a short hop to London is concerned it looks quite adequate.
PJSMITH0 likes this.
Old Nov 3, 2017, 4:11 am

Programs: BA Gold, IC Ambassador, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Fairmont Platinum
I do think that there is an element of people putting their own expectations on something then criticising when reality does not match .

Where is this misleading advertising, taken as a given in some posts?

What does premium mean?

For on-board catering a lounge with a cheese sandwich is premium compared with an airline than offers no lounge at all.

The expectation seems to be that a lounge at an outstation with only the shortest of short haul flights would offer something akin to an airline’s flagship lounge. How do the economics of that work? Raise the price of J to cover the extra cost? How successful would that be on a route where the shortness of the flight puts many off paying J fares for point-to-point and many are flying long haul via LHR, getting the full lounge offer at LHR and contributing little to the AMS-LHR feeder.

It is only relatively recently that BA’s LHR and LGW lounges have offered extensive full-dish catering. Previously, both Club and F lounges offered little more than snacks and a finger buffet. That was true for two-floor LGW North lounges, LHR T1 DOM and INT lounges, T4 CCR, F and Club lounges. One exception was the Chef’s theatre in the old T4 Gate 5 Lounge. T5 was the game changer for UK lounges - much of the rest of the world, especially Europe, has never caught up.

One final point - these glorified (“premium”) waiting rooms are described as lounges. I have yet to see them advertised as cafes, brasseries or restaurants.
nancypants likes this.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 11:33 am

Programs: BA Gold / OW Emerald
Originally Posted by rossmacd
The GVA lounge catering offering is much wider than AMS (and that is saying something that GVA is 'better' than somewhere else). You will be bitterly disappointed with the AMS lounge.

Although the one reason I use the AMS lounge is for the excellent view.
The view was very much worth it, I have to say I was happy with that.

Seating was good, everything was a little better stocked up than in the other photos, but there wasn't much more to it. I wasn't too disappointed as a coffee, danish and yoghurt (with plastic spoons???) are fine by me for a lounge stop, although it is somewhat short for a proper breakfast. I guess it's a good coincidence that I was hungover then. I also definitely got spoiled by the BA T5 Galleries Lounge in LHR on the outbound, so it's difficult to see how anything else could compare, now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.