Search

EX EU Story

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2017, 3:24 am
Original Poster

EX EU Story

hey everyone.

Just to update everyone of my ex eu.

The dublin positioning flight was cancelled whilst I was at the airport. I was auto re booked onto a much later flight that wouldnof meant I missed my dublin > Middle East flight via London.

Lots of flights cancelled that day due to weather. After being at the desk for over an hour and suggesting some other options that got me to dublin in time for the dublin flight later that day that even included going to gatwick. It was decided to cancel the first leg of my trip and get me on just the London Middle East flight that I was initially going to take as part of the ex eu. Therefore missing the “ex eu” part of my plans.

Couple of questions;

shoukd i push for a refund of cancelled flight one as I did have a 12 hour layover at Heathrow which was a little tiresome. Or do I just leave it and chalk it down to experience and the fact I didn’t have to do the “ex eu” part and pay the taxes.

- secondly shall I push for tier points. I did factor in an additional 80 (dublin to London) London to Dublin first leg in CE. Or do I again just leave it be.

Thanks

egbg100
Old Nov 6, 2017, 3:37 am

Programs: BA Gold (OW Emerald) & Jet Airways - Thank goodness i never got started.......most awful FF program
It’s a double edge sword....on one hand you are entitled to missing TPs and potentially a refund but on the other BA are perfectly entitled to re-price your flights as an ex-LHR and that would be far more expensive than any gain you get from pushing the cancellation.

Let bygones be bygones!
Old Nov 6, 2017, 3:45 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Given it is a weather cause I probably wouldn't push for a refund on the flights, I may have an attempt at ORC for the TPs.
rossmacd likes this.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 3:49 am

Originally Posted by navylad
Given it is a weather cause I probably wouldn't push for a refund on the flights, I may have an attempt at ORC for the TPs.
This.

Thank your lucky stars BA were being flexible (although they didn't have to be) with dropping your positioning flight and the first sector of your next ticket.

I may try ORC of the 2 missed flights, but I do not think I would try that hard in all honesty.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 3:53 am

I would go quietly on this one.

They may refund your positioning flight, however they may also treat you as a no-show for your ex-EU and reprice accordingly.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 4:07 am

Programs: BA CCR/GGL, Hilton Diamond
As with the others, particularly as the reason for cancellation was the weather, I'd be grateful that they weren't repricing the flight that became EX LHR rather than EX EU.

However, I would gently push for the ORC.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 4:22 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by rossmacd
This.

Thank your lucky stars BA were being flexible (although they didn't have to be) with dropping your positioning flight and the first sector of your next ticket.

I may try ORC of the 2 missed flights, but I do not think I would try that hard in all honesty.
Exactly - I'd ask for the ORC if anything at all (if you need those TPs), but otherwise just appreciate the fact that BA was flexible here.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 4:24 am

Leave it be! You get a direct flight for an Ex-EU price. You won!
LostAntipod and LTN Phobia like this.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 5:14 am

Count your lucky stars and move along!

I got the reprice treatment when I missed a positioning flight due to Gatwick being shut down back in 2015. Luckily my insurance paid out. BA have done you a favour here.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 7:42 am

Programs: BA GfL, Marriott PlatfL/Ambassador, TP Gold, IHG Spire
It is obvious that BA is not going to reprice your ticket now, whether you complain or not. They agreed to re-route you so there's no risk of a reprice. Although I think it would be a bit cheeky to ask for delay compensation and unfair to expect one.

I would not pursue the compensation aspect and perhaps request ORC if I needed the TPs.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 8:07 am

Programs: BA Gold....er now Silver...er now Bronze....er now Blue
I wouldn't say a word.

BA have done you a huge favour here - if anything, you should be paying them compensation.
LostAntipod and LTN Phobia like this.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 8:07 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
1. BA agreed to reroute OP although it had no obligation to do so. It was well aware of OP's two tickets and itinerary and simply chose to accommodate a passenger as a customer service matter. Just like any other reroute, if the passenger and carrier agree, that is the end of it. It is not subject to repricing.

2. The reroute will have "used" the positioning flight and therefore it is not subject to refund. Essentially OP accepted LON-Middle East as a replacement for LON-DUB + DUB-Middle East. That will cause OP problems if he seeks the refund.

3. There is no EC 261/2004 compensation due. OP's final ticketed destination on the cancelled ticket was DUB. The DUB-Middle East ticket is separate. OP chose not to fly to DUB, thus no delay/cancellation for that one. LON-Middle East presumably went off roughly on time, so no compensation for that one.

4. I would not seek ORC. It raises the same issues as the refund request. If anything is to go wrong, it is with this.

If all of this causes a manager to review what happened ---- and it will ---- it is not likely OP, but the staff who kindly helped OP out of a bad situation, who will bear the brunt of what BA might see as a poor staff decision. If one wonders why there is sometimes illogical inflexibility, it is because of situations such as this. Staff at LHR ought to have offered to rebook OP to DUB and when advised of the separate ticket, simply smiled.
irmster, LTN Phobia and scubaccr like this.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 8:41 am

Programs: BA Exec Gold , Qatar Priviledge Club Plat
Yeah don't be too greedy on this one , rather leave it be. Talk about luck of the Irish !
Old Nov 6, 2017, 2:51 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Keep your head down and be grateful. BA staff didn't have to save the rest of your itinerary.

Do not seek ORC, do not seek refund, definitely do not seek compensation.

You do not want to attract attention to this, not to spoil it for you or someone else next time.
LTN Phobia likes this.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 3:20 pm

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Agree heartily with consensus of replies to OP, be very thankful , keep your head down, move on.

i)OP had great luck and fortunate result, ex-EU DUB-LHR-xxx became LHR-XXX rtn flight

ii)OP was lucky a flexible and helpful member of BA frontline staff did this. DO NOT chase refund/ORC, this is likely to rebound on staff member, AND THEN in future that same staff member will no longer be willing to help any similarly unlucky passenger when they don't need to

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.