Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Improvements to F / CCR

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2017, 3:39 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold & GGL & CCR, HH Diam, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Spire, Tastecard
Originally Posted by frasier
The net curtains have been gone for a few weeks - I originally thought they had been sent to the cleaners but the chairs were there on Monday - they were looking a little like the 767 fleet but even so they were a welcome nod to a past time.

I have been hoping the curtains come back as I use the boardroom on pretty much every visit and it's now a goldfish bowl but at least a goldfish bowl with power and somewhere to work and occasionally spectators from the concourse watching the TV through the window!
I agree - when they disappeared a few weeks ago, I assumed it was a deep clean.

and I agree, they need some curtains for at least half of the window (the on right by security) back. it is a gold fish bowl and it's a bit awkward sitting there working with the zoo that is security right next to one (albeit of course separated by the window).
Old Nov 12, 2017, 3:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Cap'n Benj
Don’t think it looks bad (esp the rest of the lounge, a tad monochrome perhaps, never actually been though sadly) that one pic though however is pretty out there imagination wise.

Not the kind of thing you’d have at home!
Someone has posted a few more photos of the AF P lounge there. In a way, I agree the photos never do it justice perhaps because ther is quite a bit of natural light about and it would require better photography, but it actually feels very classy and comfortable at once in the various lounge areas when you are in it (and the menu food, also pictured, are outstanding by airport lounge standards).

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29050539-post234.html
Old Nov 12, 2017, 4:36 am

Programs: BA Gold. KrisFlyer Gold
Goodness, this thread has led to some interesting and divergent views! I've now been in the CCR twice since it was re-done, and I do genuinely think it's an improvement over what went before. However, I disagree with those who have expressed the view that it doesn't feel like a mish-mash of styles. I think it very much feels cobbled together, and I don't think BA has aimed for this deliberately. However, it's comfortably eccentric, and the new furniture is certainly more conducive to putting your feet up and relaxing.

I'm torn on the terrace. On my first visit, I liked the Moroccan-styled cabanas. However, today I got the feeling that the previous feeling of space on the terrace, which was one of its strongest features for me, has been compromised. It's a little cramped with the three rows of furniture. Plus, this morning, each cabana was inhabited by 1 single person for a brief period, making them completely under-used. I could of course have sat down on the spare seats, but it seems like an imposition that you don't feel in other areas of the lounge. I maintain the view that the loungers are not right for the CCR, and (snobbery alert ahead...) promote the kind of in-public lounging that I don't think is appropriate for one's pre-flight preparation.

The biggest loss to me remains the absence of plug sockets, which, as we know, were already scarce. The portable chargers are an inadequate fix, not least because the one I was given didn't have a USB-C connection, rendering it useless for most people who have bought Android phones in the last 6 months or so. This kind of avoidable failing is so typical of BA's maddening inconsistency. Having said that, access to power is a critical part of what I look for in the lounge, and I would happily swap the CCR dining room for the Galleries Club offerings if at-seat power was available for everyone. I accept that's an extreme view

It's very interesting to see the lounge rankings of BA's road warriors in this thread. My views vary continuously, depending on my mood, but I'd put both CCRs in the world's top 5 - just behind the Pier F lounge, QF's F lounges in SYD and MEL, and Al Safwa. But ahead of pretty much every other lounge I've had the pleasure of frequenting, including SQ's Private Room, and both Emirates' and Etihad's F lounges.

I'm more concerned about the recent decline in wine and food selections than I am about the revamp. The first half saw some outstanding dishes on the menu (the aftertaste of the scallop dish sustained me through many long-haul economy dinners earlier in the year). I've found that the second half of the year has seen a step down in terms of quality of ingredients and culinary flair. The lack of a hot starter in recent times is particularly noticeable. The wine list has been declining for a while now, and continues to worsen. Aside from the LPGS (which I dislike), I find that you can typically access better wines in Galleries First on most days.

EDIT: I struggle to understand the outrage about the toilets. Yes, they're not particularly top of the range, but you spend all of 2 minutes in there doing the necessary. At least you can see what you're doing, unlike in some esteemed waiting rooms (*cough* CX Wing *cough*). Not worth getting frustrated about, I don't think.

Looking forward to my next visit regardless.

Last edited by crazyanglaisy; Nov 12, 2017 at 4:45 am Reason: typos and toilet talk
Old Nov 12, 2017, 5:28 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by se1lad
... unfortunately the loungers look like something you might find in a gay sauna, and according to one of the staff members they are wipe clean and waterproof too!

I am looking forward to my next visit
Old Nov 12, 2017, 5:34 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by crazyanglaisy
The biggest loss to me remains the absence of plug sockets, which, as we know, were already scarce.
There is a single UK power point on the terrace, hiding on the wall by the CCR kitchen, so southern end, behind the last sofa. The multi-plug under the table has gone, presumably because it would have upset the design team. Inside the main CCR, there are now more power sockets. Don't forget to give feedback on that.
crazyanglaisy likes this.
Old Nov 12, 2017, 6:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
The multi-plug under the table has gone, presumably because it would have upset the design team.
To be honest, the multiplug was not working in my last couple of visits unfortunately (and similarly several of the wall sockets inside).

I know that installing more power points would probably need some actual building work but I think it might be worth doing (I presume section by section to avoid disrupting the rest of the lounge operation).
hsmall likes this.
Old Nov 12, 2017, 6:14 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold;BA GGL; hhonors lifetime diamond; Marriott lt Gold; IH Plat Amb; Amex Centurion
Originally Posted by nufnuf77
would that make any difference? Use whatever you want as you say, they are all individual facilities.
Well there are non-binary people to whom it does make a difference. Also I would feel uncomfortable entering one marked with a female symbol...
Old Nov 12, 2017, 7:24 am
Suspended

Programs: Regarded as total and utter snob amongst the BAEC community.
At the end of the day, it’s fair to say, that the furniture is as another poster put it "nothing more than lipstick on a pig". Let’s just hope there is a long term solution within the next 2 years for a complete overhaul of all the T5 lounges to make them industry leading. If it entails higher costs to commission the design and implementation and the closing down for a few months so be it as it will be worth it.
Old Nov 12, 2017, 7:33 am

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
Originally Posted by icegirl
At the end of the day, it’s fair to say, that the furniture is as another poster put it "nothing more than lipstick on a pig". Let’s just hope there is a long term solution within the next 2 years for a complete overhaul of all the T5 lounges to make them industry leading. If it entails higher costs to commission the design and implementation and the closing down for a few months so be it as it will be worth it.
What would you like to see design wise?
Old Nov 12, 2017, 7:59 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by Cap'n Benj
What would you like to see design wise?
In my opinion, and I've said this before, I believe the whole concept of T5 is the wrong way round and there's too much open space regardless of the desire for light and airiness.

The CCR is another idea that hasn't taken into account what may happen in the future.
It seems to have been designed for a time when a limited number of people would use it at any time and before the age of mobile phones and other electronic gadgets.

As I said earlier, I would like the showers next to the Elemis Spa to be cannibalised and made into part of the CCR. There's a lot of underutilised space around the toilet area that could easily facilitate showers and extra toilets, even cabanas (which probably should be renamed to something more fitting).

Power points / USB ports are a definite requirement especially in the eating areas.
More privacy in the dining booths would be nice so that you don't end up staring at couples or others across from you.
Some sort of more consistent theme rather than a hotchpotch of furnishings.
Perhaps less sofa type seating that can be "blocked" by a single person sitting on it.
Old Nov 12, 2017, 2:04 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
Originally Posted by hsmall
Well there are non-binary people to whom it does make a difference. Also I would feel uncomfortable entering one marked with a female symbol...
I don't see how those symbols mean anything when it's a single room lavatory - makes absolutely no difference as to who enters and how they define themselves. But then I tend to ignore most of the pointless signs in this world
hsmall likes this.
Old Nov 12, 2017, 3:22 pm

Programs: BA GfL, GGL/CCR
Originally Posted by se1lad
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, unfortunately the loungers look like something you might find in a gay sauna, and according to one of the staff members they are wipe clean and waterproof too!!..............'

I am unsure what sexuality has to do with lounges and why it would be unfortunate for them to look ‘gay’ - whatever that means.

EDIT - All I want from the CCR lounge is more power points and thats it. Furniture style to me is not mportant, so maybe to others as well.

Last edited by crazyarmadillo; Nov 12, 2017 at 3:32 pm
Old Nov 12, 2017, 3:33 pm

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by crazyarmadillo
I am unsure what sexuality has to do with lounges and why it would be unfortunate for them to look ‘gay’ - whatever that means.
Erm, I don't think the suggestion was that they look 'gay', more that they look like they were designed for a functional purpose rather than to necessarily be attractive...
offtothehills and se1lad like this.
Old Nov 12, 2017, 4:15 pm

Programs: BA GfL, GGL/CCR
Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
Erm, I don't think the suggestion was that they look 'gay', more that they look like they were designed for a functional purpose rather than to necessarily be attractive...

I’m not going into the reasons why, this is homophobic and puerile.
bafan likes this.
Old Nov 12, 2017, 9:38 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by Prospero
... not unlike 1930's Tempelhof. ...
Haha, sorry to go off-track but I was thinking, good grief, this man must be pretty old and still working, in my half asleep brain (I had 90 min sleep last night), until I realised you were talking about Tempelhof of 1930s design, rather than Tempelhof as it was in the 1930s.

Oh dear!

In case you're wondering, I am not inebriated at the CCR, I am sitting here with a cup of coffee in a certain Singapore Airlines lounge and have to wait for a while because I had to buy a separate ticket to get here because they didn't even sell it on a single ticket even though I've tried...

I will have to turn up 10 min early at the airport for my next flight to have a look around the CCR. Painful on an early morning departure but I am curious to see the new furniture!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.