Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA lost luggage - who's responsibility?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2017, 9:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire, Easyjet Flight Club
Originally Posted by orbitmic

Finally, again, people should note that when you get an airline to through check a bag on successive itineraries, you should always approach an agent at the transfer counter of airport where your second itinerary starts to ask them to scan your luggage tag receipt, otherwise your luggage will almost never arrive with you. That is because even though the bag has technically been through checked, the system of the second airline does not know to expect the bag on your flight.
Thanks. I had no idea about this but certainly will be doing this every time in the future.

BA did go through our boarding passes and pointed out that as the ETicket was different between the Qatar and BA flights, that our bags were probably rejected by BA in Rome.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 9:43 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by mmogdan
Yes, I am really interested in who is responsible for our bags, is it Qatar or is it BA? Surely it seems a bit unfair for BA, who have to now find, administer and deliver our bags - and, presumably, if I decide to submit any claims, have to settle the claims too?

As it turns out, my wife's bag has been found, but as of yet, mine has not. We were away on a 4.5 week trip and I literally have very little clothes at home - would it be unreasonable to claim for some basic clothes?

Its BA

It does not matter how unfair it seems.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 9:55 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
We were away on a 4.5 week trip and I literally have very little clothes at home - would it be unreasonable to claim for some basic clothes?
I don't think that the airline or your travel insurance will entertain a claim if you're now home.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 10:13 am

Programs: BA Gold
As others have said, the last airline will always be the passenger's point of contact.

The question of responsibility is different, and BA will liaise with QR to ascribe responsibilities.

Finally, again, people should note that when you get an airline to through check a bag on successive itineraries, you should always approach an agent at the transfer counter of airport where your second itinerary starts to ask them to scan your luggage tag receipt, otherwise your luggage will almost never arrive with you. That is because even though the bag has technically been through checked, the system of the second airline does not know to expect the bag on your flight.
It's good you know this and share the information. But it's absolutely ridiculous that Qatar pretending to offer a service do something that will result in 'your luggage almost never arriving with you' - what a crazy situation.
HIDDY and mmogdan like this.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 10:25 am

Yes, I am really interested in who is responsible for our bags, is it Qatar or is it BA? Surely it seems a bit unfair for BA, who have to now find, administer and deliver our bags - and, presumably, if I decide to submit any claims, have to settle the claims too?

As it turns out, my wife's bag has been found, but as of yet, mine has not. We were away on a 4.5 week trip and I literally have very little clothes at home - would it be unreasonable to claim for some basic clothes?
I think several people have already advised you that it is BA that is responsible.

It isn't really up to the traveller to determine the fairness of the situation. Partly because you don't really know who is responsible for the loss, and partly because the airlines have their own mechanism for apportioning responsibility.

As for claiming, yes, you can do that. I suspect in your case if you are returning home you may be challenged a bit more around what constitutes 'essentials', as there is a reasonable expectation that at your home you will at least have access to basic requirements to cover you for a few days. The alternative of course is to speak to your travel insurer.

These are always frustrating circumstances but realistically all you can do is keep World Tracer updated and await final delivery.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 10:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by golfmad
I don't think that the airline or your travel insurance will entertain a claim if you're now home.
I can't see them wearing that as an excuse either.

Pop round and knock on the door of the T8191 residence. He'll sort you out with a Hawaiian shirt or two until your bag turns up.
T8191 and mmogdan like this.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by dougzz
It's good you know this and share the information. But it's absolutely ridiculous that Qatar pretending to offer a service do something that will result in 'your luggage almost never arriving with you' - what a crazy situation.
Not really. It would be best if they said, but I have had luggage interlined on separate tickets by multiple airlines (yes, including BA on non-Oneworld partners despite their official policy always being very strict) and in effect few agents know or think of mentioning the luggage tag scan tip. That's what Flyertalk is for! And once you do it, your luggage will 'almost always' arrive with you (just as it would on a straightforward itinerary).
Old Aug 31, 2017, 12:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
The last airline on the ticket, whether they touch the bags or not.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 12:05 pm

Programs: BAEC - back to lowly blue. Marriott - Lifetime Platinum
As others have said, the last airline will always be the passenger's point of contact.

The question of responsibility is different, and BA will liaise with QR to ascribe responsibilities.

I apologize in advance for the dumb question here, but you would have to go landside to do this? Thx!
Old Aug 31, 2017, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by JayeJ
I apologize in advance for the dumb question here, but you would have to go landside to do this? Thx!
No, that's why I mentioned the 'transfer counter' which is always airside. In virtually all medium and large airports, there are transfer counters airside where all airlines have some representation. It's enough to approach that without going landside.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 12:39 pm

Programs: BAEC - back to lowly blue. Marriott - Lifetime Platinum
No, that's why I mentioned the 'transfer counter' which is always airside. In virtually all medium and large airports, there are transfer counters airside where all airlines have some representation. It's enough to approach that without going landside.
Excellent. Thanks for the tip. ^
Old Aug 31, 2017, 12:46 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by dougzz
I remember when checking bags through on separate tickets was allowed BA ground staff at U.S. outstations used to make announcements for passengers coming from connecting AA flights to come to the desk to do exactly what orbitmic described - get their AA tags put into the system - because BA had no idea that the bags were coming. I imagine now that the practice stopped no such announcements are made, but the QR staff should have advised the OP that they should approach a BA gate agent for this (although I don't remember ever hearing this from AA check-in agents who thought that the bags would be transferred automatically).

BA is responsible for reuniting the OP with the bags. Whether it is at fault or not does not matter. There is an agreement between the two airlines and whichever's fault it is will end up paying anyway. I would not be surprised that since the practice stopped the agreement was changed to state that even if it is BA's fault since it was QR that tagged the bag through against the policy the latter has to pay. But we'll not know that.

Both QR and BA fly into KBP but neither has its own transfer desk. I believe that the common transfer desk operates limited hours. I remember seeing unmanned transfer desk at BCN two weeks ago. I would be wary of doing it anywhere else but a hub. And anyway many people correctly pointed out that it is a rather unknown (and counter-intuitive) thing to do. :-)

Last edited by Andriyko; Aug 31, 2017 at 1:25 pm
Old Aug 31, 2017, 12:55 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Accor Silver
So the tricky one below happened to me a couple of years ago, when I used to have the benefit of staff travel as a BA employee.

I was travelling MCO-JFK on AA, connecting to LHR on BA. I was using the staff travel so we are talking about standby tickets here.

After boarding on my AA flight to JFK, having checked bags, we are told by the captain that "there is a hole in the cockpit window" and therefore we cannot take-off until an engineer comes to fix it, so we are de-boarded.
After 5h of waiting in the terminal, we are told that the other AA flight to JFK of the day is also having technical issues, so even if our flight finally departs, we won't be able to board again as they will give our seats to other fully paid passengers.

We then decided to cancel the JFK-LHR segment and buy a standby ticket MCO-LGW with Virgin Atlantic, as the flight was showing some space. AA would not, by any means, return our bags that still on the flight we previously boarded, even if we don't have allocated seats anymore. Our bags will definetely fly to JFK but get the promise from AA that they would "add a note in the system" so our bags will "100%" be sent to London after arriving in JFK. Of course I didn'tīt believe a word but there was no other choice as at this time was imposible for us to get to JFK that day or the day after.

When we arrived to LGW, we were advised that the baggage claim should be raised with Virgin, even if they were never supposed to touch our bags. I found this incredibly shocking, but was promised this was the right way to do it.

Surprisingly, after a week or so, Virgin found our bags and sent them to our address in London. So the responsibility for looking and retrieving the bags is definitely with the last carrier involved, even if by no means they are responsible for the loss.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 1:28 pm

Programs: BA Gold, ELAL Top Platinum
BA always are the ones to blame....
Old Aug 31, 2017, 1:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by Etxebas
So the tricky one below happened to me a couple of years ago, when I used to have the benefit of staff travel as a BA employee.

I was travelling MCO-JFK on AA, connecting to LHR on BA. I was using the staff travel so we are talking about standby tickets here.

After boarding on my AA flight to JFK, having checked bags, we are told by the captain that "there is a hole in the cockpit window" and therefore we cannot take-off until an engineer comes to fix it, so we are de-boarded.
After 5h of waiting in the terminal, we are told that the other AA flight to JFK of the day is also having technical issues, so even if our flight finally departs, we won't be able to board again as they will give our seats to other fully paid passengers.

We then decided to cancel the JFK-LHR segment and buy a standby ticket MCO-LGW with Virgin Atlantic, as the flight was showing some space. AA would not, by any means, return our bags that still on the flight we previously boarded, even if we don't have allocated seats anymore. Our bags will definetely fly to JFK but get the promise from AA that they would "add a note in the system" so our bags will "100%" be sent to London after arriving in JFK. Of course I didn'tīt believe a word but there was no other choice as at this time was imposible for us to get to JFK that day or the day after.

When we arrived to LGW, we were advised that the baggage claim should be raised with Virgin, even if they were never supposed to touch our bags. I found this incredibly shocking, but was promised this was the right way to do it.

Surprisingly, after a week or so, Virgin found our bags and sent them to our address in London. So the responsibility for looking and retrieving the bags is definitely with the last carrier involved, even if by no means they are responsible for the loss.
You were advised correctly. It doesn't matter who is to blame, who is at fault or anything else. It is simply the final delivering carrier and that was VS on your ticket just as it was BA on OP's ticket.

In your case, BA of course has operations at LGW and could have handled a claim, but OP's situation is the reason for the rule. OP can spend a lot of time looking for the QR counter at JER and QR is not ideally situated to arrange for local delivery of bags from JER.

This is nothing new. It has been this way for 60+ years and over that time, I suspect that everything evens out. If a carrier doesn't want to accept interlined bags, it is free to end its interline agreement.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.