Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA lost luggage - who's responsibility?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2017, 2:16 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Often1
You were advised correctly. It doesn't matter who is to blame, who is at fault or anything else. It is simply the final delivering carrier and that was VS on your ticket just as it was BA on OP's ticket.

In your case, BA of course has operations at LGW and could have handled a claim, but OP's situation is the reason for the rule. OP can spend a lot of time looking for the QR counter at JER and QR is not ideally situated to arrange for local delivery of bags from JER.

This is nothing new. It has been this way for 60+ years and over that time, I suspect that everything evens out. If a carrier doesn't want to accept interlined bags, it is free to end its interline agreement.
Well the interesting thing in this case is that VS was not the final carrier on my ticket. It was the ONLY carrier on my ticket as all segments were booked separately.

I fully agree with your statements above but I still find it curious that it works this way
Old Aug 31, 2017, 2:18 pm

Programs: Cunard WorldClub-Gold,Silverseas Venetian society,Alitalia Mille miglia,SPG,Fairmont,IHG.
Correct- the last carrier is the one who takes responsibility for tracing of bags and making a claim too if they are not recovered. As previous posters have said, the airlines will sort out the "blame" between themselves and strike a deal. The poster who ended up making a loss report with VS even though VS had never handled the bags, was more or less correct, but ought to have been advised that the loss report filed by VS, was what we called a "courtesy report". A report filed to enable tracing to take place, but with no liability for a claim in the event of them not being found. VS never saw the bags, so have no liability for losing them.
(14 years BCal/BA baggage tracing @LGW)
orbitmic and Etxebas like this.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 3:09 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by dougzz
It's good you know this and share the information. But it's absolutely ridiculous that Qatar pretending to offer a service do something that will result in 'your luggage almost never arriving with you' - what a crazy situation.
The alternative is QR refusing to check-through bags on separate tickets, in which case the passenger will instead have to exit airside, clear immigration/customs, and recheck bags at the intermediate point. So no, not "absolutely ridiculous".
orbitmic likes this.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 4:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Looking at the picture of the OP's bag with the two tags. I don't ever recall seeing that before when I've had bags checked through on two separate tickets. Is it unusual?
Old Aug 31, 2017, 4:15 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by HIDDY
Looking at the picture of the OP's bag with the two tags. I don't ever recall seeing that before when I've had bags checked through on two separate tickets. Is it unusual?
It's the norm if there are too many legs, the second label is the overflow. However every connection is a risk point, and trips like this have 3 risks point over 2 airlines. Though delayed luggage isn't that common, a trip like this really pushes up the odds.
HIDDY likes this.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 4:17 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Honors Diamond
It depends on the number of sectors I believe, I got 2 tags flying QR HKG-DOH-ARN then through checked to BA ARN-LHR-LBA.

My bags made all of the connections without issue (I did show my bag tag to the check in agent at ARN) and they were second off at LBA with the QR Business Class priority tag on it.
HIDDY likes this.
Old Sep 1, 2017, 12:25 am

Absolutely normal.
Old Sep 1, 2017, 3:56 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by rossmacd
Absolutely normal.
I thought you could get 4 on a bag tag? Shouldn't there have been one tage with DOH-FCO-LGW-JER?

Old Sep 1, 2017, 4:54 am

Originally Posted by KARFA
I thought you could get 4 on a bag tag? Shouldn't there have been one tage with DOH-FCO-LGW-JER?

On a AA tag, yes. On a MH/CX tag you only get 3. I am not sure about QR tags but my memory says 3.
Old Sep 1, 2017, 10:03 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by Etxebas
Well the interesting thing in this case is that VS was not the final carrier on my ticket. It was the ONLY carrier on my ticket as all segments were booked separately.

I fully agree with your statements above but I still find it curious that it works this way
Then it is the "final" carrier.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.