Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

App Upgrades (AppUp) tracking and discussion

Old Aug 23, 2017, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mjh0
This thread concerns the new (August 2017) option of being able to upgrade your bookings via the BA App - both Android and iOS versions, after Online Check-in, hereafter known by the unofficial title of AppUp.

This is an emerging feature, more details will follow as we find out more about this. See post 2 for a few more specifics.

Please list the destination, along with the price in its respective currency, followed by the month and year it was offered.

Short haul routes from LON to/from Europe
  • ARN - 89 (Aug, Oct 2017)
  • BRU - 79 (Oct 2017)
  • EDI - 79 (Aug 2017)
  • FRA - 49 (Oct 2017)
  • GLA - 75 (Aug 2017)
  • MAN - 59 (Aug 2019)

Long haul routes from LON
  • CAI - 100 [WT > WTP] (Oct 2017)
  • EWR - 333 [WTP > CW] (Nov 2017)
  • NBO - 359 [WT > WTP] (Nov 2017)
Print Wikipost

App Upgrades (AppUp) tracking and discussion

Old Aug 14, 2019, 5:43 am
  #76  
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: LON
Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
Posts: 3,206
Originally Posted by acoburn73
Does BA even do these last-minute upgrade offers via the app any longer? I'm back and forth on them from the US to TLV (Oneworld Emerald, no Avios), but have never seen it pop up on my app.
I've had a few recently, some good, some not so good (the exact difference in fare). The better ones usually 4-6 weeks out though, not so much last minute, but I'm a single data point on that.
alex67500 is offline  
Old Aug 22, 2019, 2:02 pm
  #77  
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: A hop, skip and jump away from MAN.
Programs: BAEC Gold, ex-VS Gold, ex-UA Gold, Premier Inn Platinum-Iridium
Posts: 1,114
Originally Posted by SHT88T
Is it just me or has anyone else had issues recently accepting App Up offers?

I got one yesterday went to accept but on the payment screen it failed with a message advise you contact us. It was on Amex and I got no notification of charge so left it.

A few minutes ago at T72 for my Thursday return, I logged in to try grab a seat further forward in ET. App Up offered again, failed again. I then logged in to ba.com and it worked.

The only discernible difference seems to be the App Up directing to the new design site and the web went to the older design.
Yes. Had this at the weekend. First time it used the new design and failed.

Forced the App to the old design by going in through the app version of Manage My Booking, and got the same price as the App-up offered, and payment worked.

Also, don't know if this is of any relevance, also had an App-up offered on a BOS-LHR section of a BOS-LHR-MAN itinerary, so it seems this can cope with multi-segment trips.
mjh0 is offline  
Old Aug 22, 2019, 2:51 pm
  #78  
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Belfast
Programs: BA Silver
Posts: 376
Originally Posted by mjh0
Yes. Had this at the weekend. First time it used the new design and failed.

Forced the App to the old design by going in through the app version of Manage My Booking, and got the same price as the App-up offered, and payment worked.

Also, don't know if this is of any relevance, also had an App-up offered on a BOS-LHR section of a BOS-LHR-MAN itinerary, so it seems this can cope with multi-segment trips.
It appears to be a technology fail. Ive been offered AppUps most weeks recently and every time it has required going to the old version of MMB to accept.
SHT88T is offline  
Old Aug 22, 2019, 3:09 pm
  #79  
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Posts: 63,040
Originally Posted by mjh0
Also, don't know if this is of any relevance, also had an App-up offered on a BOS-LHR section of a BOS-LHR-MAN itinerary, so it seems this can cope with multi-segment trips.
Very interesting. What was the original fare class for LHR to MAN?
corporate-wage-slave is online now  
Old Aug 22, 2019, 3:57 pm
  #80  
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: A hop, skip and jump away from MAN.
Programs: BAEC Gold, ex-VS Gold, ex-UA Gold, Premier Inn Platinum-Iridium
Posts: 1,114
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Very interesting. What was the original fare class for LHR to MAN?
All ticketed in Economy, BOS-LHR B, LHR-MAN H. Only appeared at T-24.

Didn't take the offer to go into PE, given I had a decent-ish aisle in Y, and the only open seats in W were the dreaded middle seats.
mjh0 is offline  
Old Aug 27, 2019, 1:08 pm
  #81  
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Belfast
Programs: BA Silver
Posts: 376

Sat in 1A and the app is still offering an upgrade. I was hoping to get the bosses seat with a forward view. It wasnt to be though.
SHT88T is offline  
Old Oct 13, 2019, 11:32 am
  #82  
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Buckinghamshire
Programs: BAEC Gold Guest List, Hilton Honours Diamond, Accor Gold
Posts: 2,303
Originally Posted by ILikePancakes
I was about to say. "Hey upgrade for 89, no food included!"
Considering I've seen them run out of choices in row 2 in CE, especially on rtn LGW flights, BA must be chancing its arm here or confident in these instances it has enough catering for any pax that bought it at the last moment in the lounge.
Dicksbits is offline  
Old Nov 6, 2019, 1:51 pm
  #83  
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Honors Gold
Posts: 84
I've got a quick NCL-LHR hop starting tomorrow with a night in London - was offered an AppUp when I went to check in and decided to take it.

After entering payment details, it failed and asked me to contact BA to confirm what happened.

When I sign into the old MMB, the offer is still there and I just get a page titled "ERROR", with "Sorry, there seems to be a technical problem. Please try again in a few minutes, and please contact us if it still doesn't work."

I've contacted the Gold Line and they haven't a clue - they can see the offer if they access my booking but can't explain why it's not working and their only advice was to keep trying!

Any ideas? The upgrade would be nice on what is a fairly leisurely work trip and I'm scrounging for tier points before year end, with no more BA travel booked.
TownCar is offline  
Old Nov 6, 2019, 2:17 pm
  #84  
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Belfast
Programs: BA Silver
Posts: 376
Originally Posted by TownCar
I've got a quick NCL-LHR hop starting tomorrow with a night in London - was offered an AppUp when I went to check in and decided to take it.

After entering payment details, it failed and asked me to contact BA to confirm what happened.

When I sign into the old MMB, the offer is still there and I just get a page titled "ERROR", with "Sorry, there seems to be a technical problem. Please try again in a few minutes, and please contact us if it still doesn't work."

I've contacted the Gold Line and they haven't a clue - they can see the offer if they access my booking but can't explain why it's not working and their only advice was to keep trying!

Any ideas? The upgrade would be nice on what is a fairly leisurely work trip and I'm scrounging for tier points before year end, with no more BA travel booked.
Try logging into MMB via ba.com. Ive got around this a few times by checking for the upgrade outside of the app.
SHT88T is offline  
Old Nov 6, 2019, 2:30 pm
  #85  
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Honors Gold
Posts: 84
Originally Posted by SHT88T
Try logging into MMB via ba.com. Ive got around this a few times by checking for the upgrade outside of the app.
Sorry, that's what I meant above - going into old MMB (on ba.com) gives me the ERROR page. It still is, nearly an hour later.

Gold line's advice was simply to ask at the airport tomorrow! Shouldn't they be making up for the useless IT by rebooking it for me and taking payment? They acknowledged the offer exists and is being shown to me...
TownCar is offline  
Old Nov 7, 2019, 3:53 am
  #86  
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: LON
Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
Posts: 3,206
Try from a "clean" browser -- incognito mode seems to work. BA.com seems to stumble a lot on old cookie information there. Technically the website is an architectural nightmare, as if they used the 14-week work experience kid to write down the technical specs. For example, you can't open multiple bookings at the same time in new windows -- they'll all end up being the last one you clicked on -- which is really potty poor...
alex67500 is offline  
Old Nov 7, 2019, 6:43 am
  #87  
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Honors Gold
Posts: 84
Originally Posted by alex67500
Try from a "clean" browser -- incognito mode seems to work. BA.com seems to stumble a lot on old cookie information there. Technically the website is an architectural nightmare, as if they used the 14-week work experience kid to write down the technical specs. For example, you can't open multiple bookings at the same time in new windows -- they'll all end up being the last one you clicked on -- which is really potty poor...
From reading the other thread I think I may have confused an "AppUp" with a POUG - but either way I have finally succeeded.

Tried it first thing this morning again, still no joy. Rang the Gold line again, just on the off-chance they were more helpful than yesterday. They were, and the helpful operator explained it was a bug at the moment and they couldn't remove the offer once it had been displayed, she checked my flight and confirmed there was no longer availability.

Hung up and reluctantly started the check-in process on ba.com for my economy seats. First screen of the check-in was inviting me AGAIN to upgrade to CE. I said yes to everything to see what would happen, and unlike the upgrade link in MMB, it took me through some details, payment options, then it worked! Less than five minutes after the Gold line explicitly said there's no upgrade availability left on my flights! Got boarding passes issued and all confirmed. But what a joke ba.com is, and the app.

Relieved to have got some good value tier points (it was a dirt cheap fare in the first place, and the upgrade only 49) that I need this year, and also get fed, avoiding the need to rush to find something when I arrive late tonight.
TownCar is offline  
Old Nov 7, 2019, 7:13 am
  #88  
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: LON
Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
Posts: 3,206
Originally Posted by TownCar
From reading the other thread I think I may have confused an "AppUp" with a POUG - but either way I have finally succeeded.
Actually I'm not being very clear either, but whenever the app offers an upgrade, MMB usually shows the same at the same price so I struggle to make a difference. Also, in my maybe 10 attempts, I can't remember a time where it worked in the app, I've always had to go to the website, and preferably from a clean cookie-slate.
alex67500 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.