Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

App Upgrades (AppUp) tracking and discussion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 23, 2017, 1:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mjh0
This thread concerns the new (August 2017) option of being able to upgrade your bookings via the BA App - both Android and iOS versions, after Online Check-in, hereafter known by the unofficial title of AppUp.

This is an emerging feature, more details will follow as we find out more about this. See post 2 for a few more specifics.

Please list the destination, along with the price in its respective currency, followed by the month and year it was offered.

Short haul routes from LON to/from Europe
  • ARN - £89 (Aug, Oct 2017)
  • BRU - £79 (Oct 2017)
  • EDI - £79 (Aug 2017)
  • FRA - £49 (Oct 2017)
  • GLA - £75 (Aug 2017)
  • MAN - £59 (Aug 2019)

Long haul routes from LON
  • CAI - £100 [WT > WTP] (Oct 2017)
  • EWR - £333 [WTP > CW] (Nov 2017)
  • NBO - £359 [WT > WTP] (Nov 2017)
Print Wikipost

App Upgrades (AppUp) tracking and discussion

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2017, 4:46 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by jphjph
LHR > EWR, WTP > J, £333. Tempted but knock another £100 off!
I was offered £359 from ECONOMY to WTP, so I would snap this up in a heartbeat... Especially if EWR has the new bedding and catering.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 4:55 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, ITA Club Executive, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
The latest update to the iOS BA app showed the following message:

Old Dec 5, 2017, 5:20 am
gms

Programs: BA Gold / GfL, Hilton Diamond
So having checked-in on the App for a flight later today, I see the " * Upgrade" icon next to my seat number. I click on that, only to eventually get to a message telling me " ! This flight is not available for upgrade".

Is there no link between actual upgrade availability and the display of the Upgrade icon in the App? Does it now just appear by default to waste our time trying and failing?!
Old Dec 5, 2017, 5:24 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by gms
Is there no link between actual upgrade availability and the display of the Upgrade icon in the App? Does it now just appear by default to waste our time trying and failing?!
Do you get the photo shown in post 21 or that in post 26?
Old Dec 5, 2017, 5:49 am
gms

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Do you get the photo shown in post 21 or that in post 26?
I get the Upgrade icon as shown in post 21, but without any box below (the box showing "Upgrade this flight .... for £xx")
Old Dec 5, 2017, 5:53 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by gms
I get the Upgrade icon as shown in post 21, but without any box below (the box showing "Upgrade this flight .... for £xx")
Unfortunately in that case you haven't been offered a POUG.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 6:00 am
gms

Unfortunately in that case you haven't been offered a POUG.
In that case why do they show the Upgrade icon? Seem ridiculous to dangle a carrot and then tell the customer they cannot upgrade that flight! I get the impression that BA's IT and App Development people increasingly just rush things out without properly designing, testing or even thinking about the customer experience.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 6:04 am

Originally Posted by gms
In that case why do they show the Upgrade icon? Seem ridiculous to dangle a carrot and then tell the customer they cannot upgrade that flight! I get the impression that BA's IT and App Development people increasingly just rush things out without properly designing, testing or even thinking about the customer experience.
On some bookings that icon will show a fare difference calculation but usually it needs to be used in conjunction with smelling salts. If your booking turns out to be unchangeable or sold via a TA or half a dozen other issues, then it won't get very far.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 6:17 am
gms

On some bookings that icon will show a fare difference calculation but usually it needs to be used in conjunction with smelling salts. If your booking turns out to be unchangeable or sold via a TA or half a dozen other issues, then it won't get very far.
Surely it is within the realms of BA's technical ability to have a routine that checks if a ticket can be upgraded before showing such an icon?

I thought that these AppUp upgrades within 24 hours of the flight were designed to enable tickets issued by TAs to be upgraded since the ticket is then under BA's full control?
Old Dec 5, 2017, 7:22 am

Originally Posted by gms
I thought that these AppUp upgrades within 24 hours of the flight were designed to enable tickets issued by TAs to be upgraded since the ticket is then under BA's full control?
Yes, but if the TA is based overseas, a complex ticket, or it's a non public fare then you still can't upgrade. The system seems to go off and calculate the fare, but then falls over when it hits one of potentially multiple barriers. The process could certainly be improved, but it's the same outcome, no upgrade.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 12:51 pm
gms

Yes, but if the TA is based overseas
In my case it is probably this one then that is blocking it. Corporate TA is based in Scandinavia.
Thanks for clarifying all the complicating factors!
Old Dec 5, 2017, 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by gms
In my case it is probably this one then that is blocking it. Corporate TA is based in Scandinavia.
Thanks for clarifying all the complicating factors!
If it's a public fare then the AUP at the airport option remains potentially available. If POUGs are showing then AUPs could be too (it's not 100% guaranteed, AUPs can be available when no POUGs and vice versa).
Old Dec 7, 2017, 2:52 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Blue, Hilton Gold, Virgin Red
Should I assume that AppUp doesn’t apply to BA Holidays bookings?
Old Dec 7, 2017, 3:37 am

Programs: QF Plat, NZ Silver, EY, EK, SQ & UA
If I have booked a BA flight in J with my QF points will I get offered an AppUp through the BA app?
Old Dec 7, 2017, 3:44 am

Originally Posted by Sealink
Should I assume that AppUp doesn’t apply to BA Holidays bookings?
Originally Posted by tm84
If I have booked a BA flight in J with my QF points will I get offered an AppUp through the BA app?
In both cases I think it is unlikely, particularly if its a QF booking, but that's just a guess on my part. AppUps are essentially late running POUGs and both cases wouldn't normally get POUGs. BA Holidays is usually OK for AUPs, I think QF may be tricky for AUPs due to the lack of an underlying public fare. But as ever, real experiences are good to hear about so it would be good if you report back.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.