Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

App Upgrades (AppUp) tracking and discussion

Old Aug 23, 2017, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mjh0
This thread concerns the new (August 2017) option of being able to upgrade your bookings via the BA App - both Android and iOS versions, after Online Check-in, hereafter known by the unofficial title of AppUp.

This is an emerging feature, more details will follow as we find out more about this. See post 2 for a few more specifics.

Please list the destination, along with the price in its respective currency, followed by the month and year it was offered.

Short haul routes from LON to/from Europe
  • ARN - 89 (Aug, Oct 2017)
  • BRU - 79 (Oct 2017)
  • EDI - 79 (Aug 2017)
  • FRA - 49 (Oct 2017)
  • GLA - 75 (Aug 2017)
  • MAN - 59 (Aug 2019)

Long haul routes from LON
  • CAI - 100 [WT > WTP] (Oct 2017)
  • EWR - 333 [WTP > CW] (Nov 2017)
  • NBO - 359 [WT > WTP] (Nov 2017)
Print Wikipost

App Upgrades (AppUp) tracking and discussion

Old Nov 16, 2017, 10:07 am

Programs: BAEC
So as I understand it, does this work after check in starts. i.e <24hrs before departure time or only once you've checked in and have a boarding pass for the original fare/class/seat, then this offer may appear?

As a suggestion (based on the screenshot that was attached in this thread #26 ) could it be worth having a wiki or information somewhere clearly defining the different upgrades, as with this 3rd addition for upgrading, it may be confusing as to what is what for some who are unfamiliar. Would this be helpful?
Old Nov 16, 2017, 10:20 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by rockflyertalk
So as I understand it, does this work after check in starts. i.e <24hrs before departure time or only once you've checked in and have a boarding pass for the original fare/class/seat, then this offer may appear?
Yes, that's correct, the scope here is an upgrade available typically on the App after you have checked in, and you may well be in the airport lounge when you notice it. However to nuance this a bit, it seems what has actually happened is that the POUG functionality - which previously stopped at OLCI stage - is now available after check-in and after boarding pass issue. If you go to MMB on the PC version of BA.com you may also see the upgrade links. Pieces of information still missing include:
- is this shorthaul only, so ET to CE? [There is a CAI mentioned above]
- can anyone actually get payment all the way through the App without external assistance?
- is anyone able to get a new boarding pass after accepting an AppUp. In the end NCL had to issue me with a boarding pass.

As a suggestion (based on the screenshot that was attached in this thread #26 ) could it be worth having a wiki or information somewhere clearly defining the different upgrades, as with this 3rd addition for upgrading, it may be confusing as to what is what for some who are unfamiliar. Would this be helpful?
Yes, it must be confusing to those not flying fairly frequently! As you imply, post 26 isn't really part of this. I will see what we can do to bring clarity, bearing in mind I also learning about this too, but the shorthand version would be:
- Fare difference - standard upgrade to the higher cabin, based on fare difference and typically involving change fee. Usually the most expensive way to upgrade, but there may be exceptions if Same Day Change was used on a Plus fare. Always available.
- POUG - promotional paid upgrades offered on App and BA.com upto and including OLCI. Not guaranteed.
- AppUp - similar to POUGs (and may effectively be the same thing) but most easily visible via the BA.app. Subject of this thread. Not guaranteed.
- AUP - promotional paid upgrades only available at airports on the day of departure, it doesn't matter if you have checked in or not (so best to check in overall).
POUGs and AUP have their own threads, including pricing, via threads available in this forum's Dashboard. Not guaranteed and perhaps capped.
rockflyertalk likes this.
Old Nov 16, 2017, 11:49 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze
My general rule is if you get the offer in the app with a picture and price. It should work.

If you just the generic star image and no price then there isnt anything available really - at least not in app.
Old Nov 16, 2017, 12:06 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by jday
My general rule is if you get the offer in the app with a picture and price. It should work.

If you just the generic star image and no price then there isnt anything available really - at least not in app.
I think this is when potential confusion or overlap may lie. This is not a direct challenge in what you've said but demonstrates that there maybe a crossover between the 2 ways the offer is delivered, e.g a POUG 3 months out before departure date, or a BA APP offer within 24hrs of flying and after checking in. From my experience, what you describe above, is the Promotional Upgrade Offer (POUG) that has existed for sometime (years).

This new benefit, described in this thread, we are calling (AppUp) an offer that appears once check in is complete within the BA App, you may already have a boarding pass issued in some format, but the BA App is then offering a very last minute upgrade once your at enroute or at the airport or even in the lounge/departures. But I guess this is all to be defined and worked out as more appear on the app and trial the whole process, as CWS has mentioned.
Old Nov 16, 2017, 12:22 pm

Programs: BA S, VS S, SQ G, HH D, IHG D/A, Marriott G, Radisson G, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
- Fare difference - standard upgrade to the higher cabin, based on fare difference and typically involving change fee. Usually the most expensive way to upgrade, but there may be exceptions if Same Day Change was used on a Plus fare. Always available.
- POUG - promotional paid upgrades offered on App and BA.com upto and including OLCI. Not guaranteed.
- AppUp - similar to POUGs (and may effectively be the same thing) but most easily visible via the BA.app. Subject of this thread. Not guaranteed.
- AUP - promotional paid upgrades only available at airports on the day of departure, it doesn't matter if you have checked in or not (so best to check in overall).
Helpful summary, c-w-s. Am I correct in thinking that, apart from fare difference, all the others are generally only available for those on straight itineraries to/from London? i.e., not for those with connecting flights? That certainly seemed to be my impression to date.
Old Nov 16, 2017, 2:09 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by EDIflyer
Helpful summary, c-w-s. Am I correct in thinking that, apart from fare difference, all the others are generally only available for those on straight itineraries to/from London? i.e., not for those with connecting flights? That certainly seemed to be my impression to date.
AUP is available for those on connecting flights, but otherwise I think you are more-or-less right. POUGs and (let us assume) AppUps don't tend to be offered on anything other than single/return trips to London, though I have had POUGs offered on domestic UK to USA flights where all was on BA metal and it was booked cleanly on BA.com.

Travel agent bookings also don't get POUGs and AppUps except for UK based agents selling sterling transactions on 125 tickets, and only then at OLCI. Now from that point of view AppUps are useful for those on UK trade, TA and corporate tickets since these potentially now become upgradeable. [My head hurts!]
Old Nov 16, 2017, 2:16 pm

Programs: BAEC Bronze
I think this is when potential confusion or overlap may lie. This is not a direct challenge in what you've said but demonstrates that there maybe a crossover between the 2 ways the offer is delivered, e.g a POUG 3 months out before departure date, or a BA APP offer within 24hrs of flying and after checking in. From my experience, what you describe above, is the Promotional Upgrade Offer (POUG) that has existed for sometime (years).

This new benefit, described in this thread, we are calling (AppUp) an offer that appears once check in is complete within the BA App, you may already have a boarding pass issued in some format, but the BA App is then offering a very last minute upgrade once your at enroute or at the airport or even in the lounge/departures. But I guess this is all to be defined and worked out as more appear on the app and trial the whole process, as CWS has mentioned.
No confusion. If you scroll up you will see two examples Ive posted of AppUp for both Cairo and Stockholm. These do look the same as POUG, but simply appear post check-in.

Ive seen both POUG and AppUp with pictures or the default star. I was just saying you have more chance of the deal actually existing if you get the picture.
Old Nov 16, 2017, 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by jday
I’ve seen both POUG and AppUp with pictures or the ‘default’ star. I was just saying you have more chance of the deal actually existing if you get the picture.
The default star you will always get close to departure. It may not work on complex or agency bookings in terms of computing a fare, but it is just a link to the BA.com fare difference functionality, which you will find via MMB. Previous threads have occasionally shown things like 8,000 to upgrade LGW-NCE to Club Europe, though I haven't seen one of those recently.

The picture or "limited time offer" is a POUG / AppUp, and only these are potentially avoiding a change fee and fare difference.
Old Nov 16, 2017, 3:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Is the App Up available just ex LON?
Old Nov 16, 2017, 3:50 pm

Originally Posted by mikeyfly
Is the App Up available just ex LON?
No, it also works to LON, which pretty much covers most of what BA does!
Old Nov 16, 2017, 4:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So people buying into CE from an outstation are told they won’t get fed by the App?
Old Nov 16, 2017, 4:37 pm

Originally Posted by mikeyfly
So people buying into CE from an outstation are told they won’t get fed by the App?
No that is not stated, and perhaps it should.There again it's not certain they won't get catering either, generally there will be spares.
Old Nov 16, 2017, 4:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hmmm I think it should mention it. From the couple of AUPs I’ve seen recently (NCE and GVA) this month both times the pax were told they wouldn’t be catered.
Old Nov 17, 2017, 2:29 pm

LHR > EWR, WTP > J, 333. Tempted but knock another 100 off!

Last edited by jphjph; Nov 17, 2017 at 2:31 pm Reason: spelling
Old Nov 17, 2017, 3:13 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver; Hilton Diamond;a miscellany of other hotel non-statuses
Moved to AUP thread.
Gastrocnemius likes this.

Last edited by EsherFlyer; Nov 17, 2017 at 5:48 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.