Original Routing Credit - exclusions?

Old Aug 8, 17, 8:33 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Betwixt SEA and LHR
Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, AS Gold MVP, IC RA, IHG Spire Elite, HH Diamond, Dennis The Menace Fan Club
Posts: 1,346
Original Routing Credit - exclusions?

I'm being told by a BA GGL rep that I can't claim ORC on the following itinerary:

Original: LAS-LAX-SEA, all on AA.
Flown: LAS-LAX-SEA, last leg on AS due to AA tech failure causing 5hr delay.

Agent is being quite forceful, talking over me and giving me the 'This has always been the way' patter. Is he in the right?

Last edited by opalfruit; Aug 8, 17 at 8:46 am
opalfruit is offline  
Old Aug 8, 17, 8:40 am
  #2  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Betwixt SEA and LHR
Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, AS Gold MVP, IC RA, IHG Spire Elite, HH Diamond, Dennis The Menace Fan Club
Posts: 1,346
The agent refused to put me through to a supervisor to confirm.

All this for 40 measly tier points and a handful of Avios.

This airline really is a farce these days.
opalfruit is offline  
Old Aug 8, 17, 8:44 am
  #3  
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club; FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: TPA/ABZ
Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Posts: 10,168
It has certainly not always been that way. I've received original routing credit in the past when moved to Qantas from BA due to aircraft problems. Perhaps the policy has changed recently but I doubt it.
golfmad is offline  
Old Aug 8, 17, 8:45 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: London, UK
Programs: BA Gold, AirBnb 700x Platinum, AC (never again)
Posts: 288
Originally Posted by opalfruit View Post
Original: LAS-LAX-SEA, all on AA.
Flown: LAS-LAX-SEA, last leg on AS due to AA tech failure causing 5hr delay.
Isn't the point of it being an "original" routing credit, that it doesn't matter the actual routing taken, but is based on the ticketed.

Try to call again, hopefully they still have a staff member available who can use common sense.
YacozA is offline  
Old Aug 8, 17, 8:49 am
  #5  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Betwixt SEA and LHR
Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, AS Gold MVP, IC RA, IHG Spire Elite, HH Diamond, Dennis The Menace Fan Club
Posts: 1,346
I realise there's confusing elements here - AA routings on AS flights don't accrue TPs and the itinerary is ostensibly the same, but the failure to see through to common sense on the phone was frustrating.

I'm not sure I have the energy to call back just now. I'll try dylanks's suggested email method (in his guide here) to claim this.
opalfruit is offline  
Old Aug 8, 17, 8:52 am
  #6  
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Leeds, UK
Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Posts: 32,100
Originally Posted by opalfruit View Post
I'm being told by a BA GGL rep that I can't claim ORC on the following itinerary:

Original: LAS-LAX-SEA, all on AA.
Flown: LAS-LAX-SEA, last leg on AS due to AA tech failure causing 5hr delay.

Agent is being quite forceful, talking over me and giving me the 'This has always been the way' patter. Is he in the right?
To just check the obvious, I assume for your original LAS-LAX-SEA both flights were bought under the AA flight numbers and AA operated?
KARFA is online now  
Old Aug 8, 17, 8:53 am
  #7  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Betwixt SEA and LHR
Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, AS Gold MVP, IC RA, IHG Spire Elite, HH Diamond, Dennis The Menace Fan Club
Posts: 1,346
Originally Posted by KARFA View Post
To just check the obvious, I assume for your original LAS-LAX-SEA both flights were bought under the AA flight numbers and AA operated?
They were indeed.
opalfruit is offline  
Old Aug 8, 17, 8:53 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Kiev, Ukraine
Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, PS, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Posts: 6,713
Originally Posted by golfmad View Post
It has certainly not always been that way. I've received original routing credit in the past when moved to Qantas from BA due to aircraft problems. Perhaps the policy has changed recently but I doubt it.
BA will always give the ORC, especially if it is a 125 ticket.

In the OP's case, it will be up to AA whether the ORC is given. I am surprised, however, that the agent refused to accept the claim and forward it to AA (unless the agent knows that AA will refuse).
Andriyko is offline  
Old Aug 8, 17, 8:56 am
  #9  
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Leeds, UK
Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Posts: 32,100
Originally Posted by opalfruit View Post
They were indeed.
Thanks. In that case I am struggling to see why the agent was refusing it.
KARFA is online now  
Old Aug 8, 17, 8:56 am
  #10  
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club; FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: TPA/ABZ
Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Posts: 10,168
Originally Posted by opalfruit View Post
I realise there's confusing elements here - AA routings on AS flights don't accrue TPs and the itinerary is ostensibly the same, but the failure to see through to common sense on the phone was frustrating.
Maybe my BA-Qantas example wasn't a good one. I've also received ORC in similar circumstances to you in the past. I was re-routed from AA to another airline that does not award BA Tier Points. I claimed and was awarded credit for both Tier Points and Avios. My point is that the agent is incorrect by saying "this has always been the way".
golfmad is offline  
Old Aug 8, 17, 9:00 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: MSN
Programs: AA, BAEC Silver
Posts: 3,555
I received ORC for a flight on AA metal with a BA ticket when I wound up taking a bus (at my own expense) owing to a cancelled flight (WX) and no available seats for at least a day.
MADPhil is offline  
Old Aug 8, 17, 10:36 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: UK
Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
Posts: 2,015
Last year I had a CX ticket to Beijing, back from Shanghai. BA credited all the flights other than the Air China code-share to Beijing. They were happy with Cathay Dragon, which is not in OW, but not Air China.
Ancient Observer is offline  
Old Aug 8, 17, 10:41 am
  #13  
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Leeds, UK
Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Posts: 32,100
Originally Posted by Ancient Observer View Post
Last year I had a CX ticket to Beijing, back from Shanghai. BA credited all the flights other than the Air China code-share to Beijing. They were happy with Cathay Dragon, which is not in OW, but not Air China.
KA is a oneworld affiliate via CX. Air China has no oneworld connection. A BA codeshre on Air China would earn TP and avios, any other codeshare would not.

Was this an ORC claim?
KARFA is online now  
Old Aug 8, 17, 10:45 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: UK
Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
Posts: 2,015
Brain not working. Not ORC, just a claim.
Ancient Observer is offline  
Old Aug 8, 17, 10:49 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Programs: BA GGL, TK Elite
Posts: 2,793
I've had ORC on IB (IB ticket, operated by IB) denied last year. The email explained BA had contacted IB who had said no. It was only 20 tier points so I didn't kick up a fuss.
LCY8737 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: