Aberdeen - BA Lounge - Silver Refusal

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2017, 9:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA - Silver
Aberdeen - BA Lounge - Silver Refusal

Hi all,

First post. Your thoughts please.

Travelled BA yesterday from Aberdeen and learned at check in that the BA lounge is now shut for redevelopment. Fair enough - I asked where we are re-directed only to be told that a 5 pound voucher would be handed out to Silver Card members - and no temporary BA 3rd party lounge admittance to Silver's - that is afforded to Gold or CE passengers.

Is it me or is this really insulting? As a Silver member flying on BA I thought I was entitled to use a lounge (BA or 3rd Party) at any departing airport on a BA flight - and this I assume is set in the T&C's of my Silver membership ? (Open to correction)

It's also pretty insulting that 5 pounds only gets you a coffee at Aberdeen - not even redeemable for a beer. Is 5 pounds the value of a Silver member in BA? - I guess so. I wonder how many Silver card holders fly on the 6-7 flights a day from Aberdeen to be told this? Would you put up with this at Glasgow or Edinburgh?

Even is Europe / Asia - I get into Oneworld and BA 3rd party lounges with Silver - but alas - not in Aberdeen on a BAEC Silver Card......

Pretty disappointing and insulting really BA.

Thanks all,

Rant over.
Old Aug 6, 2017, 9:09 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Let me first welcome you to the BA forum, Aberdeen BA Traveller, and welcome you also to Flyertalk. There is quite a community of FTers based in, or travelling to, ABZ and it would be good if you could join the throng.

But unfortunately you were correctly advised, even if this advice isn't exactly good news:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...furbished.html

It is only a temporary arrangement, though I'm unsure why it is taking so long to reopen the new BA lounge, but if it is anything like the other new lounges it will be a worthwhile endeavour.

In the mean time, perhaps you could send a complaint in, even though on its own it won't do much good, collectively if enough Silvers send in complaints and/or rebook on alternative carriers, BA may look again at this.
Nicola S likes this.
Old Aug 6, 2017, 9:55 pm

Programs: BA Silver
My thoughts are you should look at the lounge the Golds are now having access to.

That will definitely inspire you to complain!
Old Aug 6, 2017, 11:17 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
£5 is a bit of a joke considering they give/gave £20 to someone under 18 who could not get into the lounge at LHR.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...ge-access.html
Old Aug 6, 2017, 11:32 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
£5 is definitely a joke! But if you are guesting do you get 2x£5?
Old Aug 6, 2017, 11:52 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by makeitthisfar
£5 is a bit of a joke considering they give/gave £20 to someone under 18 who could not get into the lounge at LHR.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...ge-access.html
He might not have been flying domestic or in CW. I think it should depend on the circumstance.

I'd actually rather get £5 than go to some of the lounges around the world though.
Old Aug 7, 2017, 1:36 am

Programs: Iron Maiden FC, GE, Rapidly falling down the Tiers to oblivion.
I doth protest! You can get a pint of 'real ale' at abz no problems. If you insist on drinking Peroni and the like, well, orange juice for you.
Old Aug 7, 2017, 1:40 am

Originally Posted by jcm9000
I doth protest! You can get a pint of 'real ale' at abz no problems. If you insist on drinking Peroni and the like, well, orange juice for you.
Not with the paltry voucher you can't!
Old Aug 7, 2017, 1:40 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold
Thanks for posting this Aberdeen BA Traveller. I too find this totally insulting. As I said elsewhere, I enjoy the benefits of lounge access exactly for that - lounge access! It's not really the food and drink, it's the space.
As CWS says, it's mystifying why the new BA lounge is taking so long to open - next May I believe. Surely this could have been planned better?
Please do write and complain - I have some angry friends doing the same.
The simple answer is to use Priority Pass, but why should you?!
Apparently it is 2 x £5 vouchers if you have a friend flying with you, but even so, it is really pathetic.
Keep posting, this is a great place for advice etc.
Nicola S likes this.
Old Aug 7, 2017, 1:41 am

£5 is a crazy low amount - it should be enough to cover an alcoholic drink, a soft drink and a snack. BA vouchers at other airports sometimes cover '3 items' rather than a specific cost.
Old Aug 7, 2017, 1:56 am

My wife and daughter just made BA Silver and are heading back to Asia today from Aberdeen.......

They are (or now.... were) excited about getting into the BA lounge in Aberdeen for the first time on there own...

Considering we have spent the best part of $20,000 on BA this year - Pretty insulting return on our loyalty if you ask me.....
Old Aug 7, 2017, 2:43 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Angry

Where is the best place to send complaints about this? At peak times, the airside catering outlets at ABZ are mobbed already, and the only "meal" £5 will buy you is a meal deal from Boots.

The Northern Lights lounge is ready, so why not the BA lounge? What is stopping a BA lounge being ready long before May 2018?

Is it just yet more penny pinching from BA, or is there something more strategic going on - e.g. trying to gauge whether it's worth spending money on a dedicated lounge...?
Old Aug 7, 2017, 2:48 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I wouldn't want to give the impression that it's going to make a huge difference, but the BAEC login / Contact Us is perhaps one place to start with any complaint. The other option is to complain to the airport. They will (rightly) bounce you back to BA, but it will register none the less. The airport is connected with the reconstruction timetable, so it's partly their fault too.
Old Aug 7, 2017, 3:23 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond, Mucci de buveur de gin
I'd be pretty peeved too Aberdeen BA Traveller. The £5 voucher is ridiculous and you won't get much for that in the airport. I'd definitely complain to BA - be interesting to see what their response is but I imagine it'll be along the lines of "Thanks for your email.....we note your concerns.....your custom is important to us......blah blah".

As an aside, the Northern Lights lounge is great so if you do feel like shelling out to get lounge access while the BA lounge is closed, it's worth it.
Old Aug 7, 2017, 3:26 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by 710 77345
£5 is a crazy low amount - it should be enough to cover an alcoholic drink, a soft drink and a snack. BA vouchers at other airports sometimes cover '3 items' rather than a specific cost.
I'm pretty sure the other thread said that the voucher T&Cs exclude alcohol. So, even if you got a £20 voucher, you still couldn't get a pint!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.