Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Aberdeen - BA Lounge - Silver Refusal

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2017, 4:16 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by redpalmetto
Dates were lined up with the wider terminal extension. The new BA lounge could have been opened at the same time as Northern Lights, as the skeleton is all there. BA have chosen to delay their fit out until 2018, opening in May.
This is the whole point, the building is there but they are not spending money finishing it until next year - opening May did I hear?
So, win/win for BA, not paying for silvers, not outlaying any cash to fit the lounge out for 8 months or so. It's cost-cutting - again!
redpalmetto and Inchyra03 like this.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 6:42 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by smokie36
Do Gold/CE customers at KRK have a nice lounge with scotch pies and tasty local beer?
There are 2 perfectly acceptable lounges at KRK with tasty local beer (not sure why a lounge in Poland would have scotch pies)

No BA access, CE, gold or whatever.

BAEC silver and gold can use it when flying with Finnair or air berlin, but not when flying BA!
Old Aug 31, 2017, 7:31 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by CCayley
As a matter of interest, what is so shocking about BA's response? If the lounge at Aberdeen wasn't willing to accommodate every BA passenger entitled to access under normal OW rules then providing access to Golds and those with business class tickets ahead of Silvers in economy seems the right choice to me. Or do you think Silvers should rank ahead of those who actually shell out for business class? Or do you think BA should never be allowed to refurbish a lounge?

The complaints about the pitiful amount on the voucher seem justified to me, but I really don't get why it is crime of the century for BA to close a lounge for updating and deny some lounge access for a while if alternatives are just not available.
I wonder if you'd feel the same if Golds not travelling in CE were affected in the same way ? And/or if you were being denied access to the lounge ?
Old Aug 31, 2017, 2:15 pm

Programs: BA (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by bafan
I wonder if you'd feel the same if Golds not travelling in CE were affected in the same way ? And/or if you were being denied access to the lounge ?
Hard to imagine since I never travel cattle, but I believe I would feel the same way. If there's a need to ration something, such as lounge access, those who stump up for premium classes should trump elites every time. If there's no lounge access for anyone for a while, well c'est la vie.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 4:03 pm

Hard to imagine since I never travel cattle, but I believe I would feel the same way. If there's a need to ration something, such as lounge access, those who stump up for premium classes should trump elites every time. If there's no lounge access for anyone for a while, well c'est la vie.
Is there a need to ration it? I don't think that this has been established and in this particular instance BA appear to have made a business decision not one based on capacity to provide.
JamieABZ and Inchyra03 like this.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 4:07 pm

Originally Posted by strichener
Is there a need to ration it? I don't think that this has been established and in this particular instance BA appear to have made a business decision not one based on capacity to provide.
Don't know, don't care. I was asked my opinion about a hypothetical situation and gave it. That is all.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 4:11 pm

Don't know, don't care. I was asked my opinion about a hypothetical situation and gave it. That is all.
It wasn't a hypothetical situation. You were commenting on BA's actual response to an actual complaint about an actual situation.

Personally I think comments like "I don't travel cattle" are a bit pompous, really.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 4:14 pm

Programs: BA silver
Originally Posted by simons1
It wasn't a hypothetical situation. You were commenting on BA's actual response to an actual complaint about an actual situation.

Personally I think comments like "I don't travel cattle" are a bit pompous, really.
Ah I misread it. I thought it said " I don't travel on cattle" . I just thought it was someone else from Argentina!
Old Aug 31, 2017, 4:15 pm

Originally Posted by simons1

I was responding to a question about a theoretical situation that has not arisen in practice. If you don't think that is a hypothetical situation you should consider suing your English teacher. Sorry if that sounds pompous!
Old Sep 3, 2017, 12:34 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
After being in the Northern Lights lounge a week ago I would say there is about the same if not more seating available as the old BA and Service Air lounges combined, So I don't really see it being a capacity issue.
redpalmetto likes this.
Old Sep 3, 2017, 12:47 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

As a matter of interest, what is so shocking about BA's response? If the lounge at Aberdeen wasn't willing to accommodate every BA passenger entitled to access under normal OW rules then providing access to Golds and those with business class tickets ahead of Silvers in economy seems the right choice to me. Or do you think Silvers should rank ahead of those who actually shell out for business class? Or do you think BA should never be allowed to refurbish a lounge?
It was BA that made the decision, not the lounge.

I was responding to a question about a theoretical situation that has not arisen in practice. If you don't think that is a hypothetical situation you should consider suing your English teacher. Sorry if that sounds pompous!
Maybe you should sue your optician?
Old Sep 3, 2017, 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
It was BA that made the decision, not the lounge.
Evidence?

Maybe you should sue your optician?
It took you nearly three days to come up with that witty response?

I was asked if I would feel the same way if it was me being denied access to the lounge. Since I am not being denied access to the lounge (inter alia because I don't fly economy class, am not a silver card holder, and don't fly from Aberdeen) the question concerned a hypothetical situation. No-one with even a passing acquaintance with the English language could validly argue otherwise.
Old Sep 3, 2017, 1:21 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

It took you nearly three days to come up with that witty response?

​​​​
About 30 seconds actually, after this thread got bumped.

I can't provide evidence, but it was stated earlier that it was BA's decision. See post 40 if your vision has improved.
Old Sep 3, 2017, 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
I can't provide evidence, but it was stated earlier that it was BA's decision. See post 40 if your vision has improved.
The response from BA quoted in post no. 66 suggests the opposite, but neither seem very authoritative to me. I suspect we may never know and there may not be a clear answer. In any event, the main criticism that most of us seem to agree can be levelled at BA is the paucity of the voucher offered to silvers.
DYKWIA likes this.
Old Sep 5, 2017, 5:52 am

Programs: BA, LH, KLM
Aberdeen - BA Lounge - Silver Refusal

Originally Posted by KARFA
Even if true it is surely up to BA how much the voucher value is, and £5 is clearly too low.
Complained 'online' to BA and further below is their 'official' answer received today:

Customer By CSS Web (Anastasis) (16/08/2017 11.43 AM (BST))
Note: Starting from 31 July 2017, British Airways Lounge in Aberdeen will close for refurbishment. The British Airways Lounge in Aberdeen will be undergoing refurbishment works which will mean the lounge will be closed for several months. During this period alternative options will be available. Please contact the Customer Service team at the airport for further information.

Dear BA,

Aberdeen is the hub for my trips and now silver members cannot enter the BA lounge unless you are gold; instead you offer a £5 voucher that is supposed to be consumed outside the lounge on food and non-alcohol drinks; is that the real value of your silver members???

I find it more and more difficult to stay with your status scheme;

Answer:
Thanks for contacting me about the closure of our lounge at Aberdeen airport. Please accept my apologies for this and for the delay in responding to your concerns.
The closure is due to a major redevelopment of the airport terminal including the security search area, which will be relocated to the lounge's current location.
Our new British Airways lounge is planned to open in May 2018.
The new lounge will have 375 square metres of space and will include comfortable seating and airside views.
Until our new lounge opens we've arranged alternative options for our eligible customers.
These include offering a third party lounge for Club Europe customers and for our Gold Executive Club members.
A refreshment voucher for Silver Executive Club members is also available.
I realise this isn't ideal, but I'm sure you'll understand the lounge can only accommodate a certain number of passengers at any one time.
Thanks again for contacting me.
We value your support as a Silver member of our Executive Club. I hope you enjoy your flight with us to London Heathrow on 10 September.
Please feel free to contact me directly if I can assist you with anything else.
Best regards
Lewis Stafford
British Airways Customer Relations
Your case reference is:16915745
JamieABZ likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.