Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Emigration control delays from some European airports

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2017, 2:59 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer

BA have updated BA.com and sent notifications to some travellers to allow more time when departing certain European locations for London.

Originally Posted by BA.com
Airports in several European countries are experiencing some delays at Immigration control points due to extra checks on both arriving and departing customers.

For customers departing from European airports on flights to the UK, please allow extra time for your journey through the airport. For customers arriving at some European airports you may experience longer queues than normal at a busy time of year.

Our flights are continuing to operate as planned, but we are sorry for the delays you may experience on your journey through some airports, which are outside of our control.
BA have told the media that the airports showing problems in this area are:
BCN - Barcelona
LIN - Milan Linate
LYS - Lyon
MAD - Madrid

The other airports that have been reported elsewhere as causing problems are:
BRU - Brussels
LIS - Lisbon
PMI - Majorca
AGP - Málaga
ORY - Paris - Orly

The immigration and emigration processes are taking longer more widely but in many cases it's not really causing problems. The cause of this is an EU wide requirement to ensure all non Schengen arrivals and departures are scanned and checked electronically, rather than given a visual check.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-40824027

BCN is a longer running story, connected with industrial action at the airport, more details here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...ol-delays.html

Note that despite the points raised above, getting to the airport very early is unlikely to help, if you have checked luggage, since I suspect LIN and LYS will still only open up approx 2 hours before departure.
Old Aug 4, 2017, 3:17 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
I don't see any back-to-back hotspots there - I wonder if they are having the same effect on connections, although I doubt there will be many having problems with a dedicated airside connections channel.
Old Aug 4, 2017, 3:23 am

Programs: BA Blue
I flew from BCN on Wednesday evening and there were no delays at all. In fact, it took nearly twice as long to get through the UK border after landing!
Old Aug 4, 2017, 3:40 am
formerly southsidesilver

Programs: BA Gold, UA Silver, HH Diamond
I though I read in an article that AMS was in the list, but most likely not correct.
Old Aug 4, 2017, 3:43 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by When I Travel The World
I though I read in an article that AMS was in the list, but most likely not correct.
AMS has been problematic for some time, so you're right to highlight that.
Old Aug 4, 2017, 3:50 am

Programs: EI AerClub Concierge, EK Gold, BA Gold, BD Gold (Retired), HHonors Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold
Sounds like the EU is giving a taste of what a post-Brexit travel experience will feel like.

The fact that this also adds some pain to both EU tourists looking to enjoy a weak sterling trip and returning UK prof services workers form projects in Europe is (I'm sure) pure co-incidence.
Old Aug 4, 2017, 3:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dambus
Sounds like the EU is giving a taste of what a post-Brexit travel experience will feel like.

The fact that this also adds some pain to both EU tourists looking to enjoy a weak sterling trip and returning UK prof services workers form projects in Europe is (I'm sure) pure co-incidence.
It is pure co-incidence, as the citizens of Croatia, Cyprus and Ireland will be able to confirm. It was announced some months ago in the light of the recent terrorist incidents where some of the suspects entered Europe from Syria unrecorded. Some countries got their IT upgraded to cope with this, some did not.
Old Aug 4, 2017, 3:58 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
BCN is complicated by the fact that the security guards are going on strike. AENA and they are meeting today. That's Catalunia for you.

What had surprised me is that this action at passports has been so long coming - that this is Brexit inspired I have no doubt. Still, I notice that in France Shenigen is as good as dead at the airports - everyone's documents are checked whether coming from the area or not.

Never mind, we can always get Fat Johnson to bellow and bawl - that'll learn them!

God help us.
Old Aug 4, 2017, 4:01 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
ATH got a waiver as it caused chaos at the extra schengen part of the airport. So ATH has no queues !
Old Aug 4, 2017, 4:06 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH SEN , A3*G & others less exciting that don't fit in my wallet
Originally Posted by IMetThePieMan
I flew from BCN on Wednesday evening and there were no delays at all. In fact, it took nearly twice as long to get through the UK border after landing!

Last week same deal at BCN on Friday afternoon ... Security was a mess with Tensa Barriers all over the place due to the strike as noted above but passport control took no time at all ( they had extra barriers out , but there was no queue at all )

I wonder can they install some of the e-gates on departure checks at some of the borders .. they seem to have really improved in the last year or two and make things much faster now
Old Aug 4, 2017, 4:12 am

Originally Posted by Dambus

Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
What had surprised me is that this action at passports has been so long coming - that this is Brexit inspired I have no doubt.
Please stop with the Brexit conspiracy theories. The regulation is trying to avoid the possibility of internal borders being re-instated unilaterally by Member States and preserve the future of Schengen under the threat of terrorism. It applies to all Schengen to non-Schengen border checks, regardless of which EU nationality. In other words, you could be French and returning to France from a non-Schengen country and still subject to the checks.

Full (rather short) legislation can be found here.

http://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-conte...7R0458&from=EN
Old Aug 4, 2017, 4:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
Originally Posted by SwissBritMiss
It applies to all Schengen to non-Schengen border checks, regardless of which EU nationality. In other words, you could be French and returning to France from a non-Schengen country and still subject to the checks.
That's the bit that many fail (or don't want) to understand.

I'll stop now before mistakenly making an Omni-esque comment.
Old Aug 4, 2017, 4:25 am

Programs: AA EXP 2 MM
Currently EU airports have two lines: EU and non-EU. Does this imply a third line for Schengen citizens (or changing the EU line to a Schengen line?), otherwise Schengen citizens are caught up in the queue?
Old Aug 4, 2017, 4:25 am

Programs: BA GGL / GfL
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
AMS has been problematic for some time, so you're right to highlight that.
Hi c-w-s
Any advice on connecting through AMS from a BA flight to an AY one? What sort of time would you think would be required?

Pilot37
Old Aug 4, 2017, 4:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/s...20170802133300

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.