Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Emigration control delays from some European airports

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Emigration control delays from some European airports

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2017, 10:12 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, UA2MM, QF Platinum, VA Platinum., Volare Executive Club
Just a data point, not BA related at all. ()

Flew out of CIA yesterday and into SOF, cursory check of passport both airports, must have delayed me by 0.5 seconds.

FWIW.
Old Aug 12, 2017, 3:36 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold (current GGL), HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Richym99
Any ideas what the status of BRU is for passengers transferring from non-schengen flight to the US on the same alliance (so presumably same terminal).

Are they required to pass through passport control and security on arrival in BRU or can they simply go straight to their next flight.
i just did a back to back on BA Thursday. The direct route back into the terminal was not available, and I had to follow transfers. I was the only passenger passing through security in a very large transfers area. The security staff was eager and efficient.

All in all, it took 10 minutes to get from the plane back to the gate, and I did not rush...took my time. The incoming flight was late, so boarding had already started...calling OW ruby when I got there...although as usual for BRU, that meant another 5 minutes waiting on the ramp.
Old Aug 13, 2017, 12:32 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Flew into VCE yesterday at 10:30am ish and leaving this PM. The queue for departures was miles long! I did get a text from BA telling me to allow an extra hour. I'm shocked some airports/countries haven't got thier heads around this yet!
Old Aug 13, 2017, 2:31 am

Programs: BA GGL, UA Plat, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by flatlander
E-gates are available (at least in Departures 3 where the BA checkin is) signed for EEA, Swiss, US, Korean, Japanese, and a couple of others. The one time I have used them (the Privium gate was not working) there were no problems, worked like the Heathrow e-gates.
When I passed through AMS the other day, there really wasn't much to choose between officers and e-gates: both lines were equally long and slow
Old Aug 13, 2017, 4:13 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by Fitch
When I passed through AMS the other day, there really wasn't much to choose between officers and e-gates: both lines were equally long and slow
I came into AMS on Monday on U2. I guessed there was going to be a queue as the escalator was roped off. Sure enough, the queue was back almost to the end of the immigration hall.

However... the e-gates were completely empty! There were all in use (green lights), but everyone exhibiting herd mentality and joining the back of the non-EU queue.

There is normally a airport employee directing people, but there was nobody there on Monday.

Thank god for Privium... I was through in 30 seconds and on the train 10 minutes later
Old Aug 13, 2017, 5:54 am

Programs: BA GGL, UA Plat, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond
I was on the way out of AMS unfortunately ... my recent experience of arrival immigration there has been OK in recent weeks.
Old Aug 13, 2017, 11:56 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by herbertgoon
Flew into VCE yesterday at 10:30am ish and leaving this PM. The queue for departures was miles long! I did get a text from BA telling me to allow an extra hour. I'm shocked some airports/countries haven't got thier heads around this yet!
So to close this off, at VCE coming home today no problems at all, in fact the queue was much shorter than yesterday. Lots of people wearing "trainee security" tshirts so maybe it is coming under control. Venice, well Murano was absolutely lovely btw and that Marco Polo lounge was great ^
Old Sep 11, 2017, 6:51 am

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
By way of update on this helpful thread, I flew DUS-LCY yesterday and very nearly missed the flight. There was a huge queue at passport control with only two desks open- one of which spent ages with one or two (presumably non-EU) pax.

My LCY flight was at 18:00 and I was in the queue at around 17:20, as a result of an announcement in the lounge. Although I have flown from there before, and knew I still had to clear immigration, I did not imagine it would be as bad as it was. Most of the people queuing were for the 18:30 LHR flight, and there may have been another non-Schengen flight leaving from that area too. It was only because the gate agent shouted for LCY passengers to come forward that I made the flight, but there would have been others further back that did not hear her and, I suspect, they did miss the flight (I overheard the agents speaking in German at the gate as my BP was scanned and one saying to the other that they were missing 8 passengers- which is quite a lot of a Embraer 170.

Anyway, if flying from DUS on the LCY flight, be careful to go through passport control early to make sure you don't get snarled up in the LHR hordes. The timings of the flights are quite unfortunate in that sense.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 1:45 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Southlondonbonviveur
By way of update on this helpful thread, I flew DUS-LCY yesterday and very nearly missed the flight. There was a huge queue at passport control with only two desks open- one of which spent ages with one or two (presumably non-EU) pax.

My LCY flight was at 18:00 and I was in the queue at around 17:20, as a result of an announcement in the lounge. Although I have flown from there before, and knew I still had to clear immigration, I did not imagine it would be as bad as it was. Most of the people queuing were for the 18:30 LHR flight, and there may have been another non-Schengen flight leaving from that area too. It was only because the gate agent shouted for LCY passengers to come forward that I made the flight, but there would have been others further back that did not hear her and, I suspect, they did miss the flight (I overheard the agents speaking in German at the gate as my BP was scanned and one saying to the other that they were missing 8 passengers- which is quite a lot of a Embraer 170.

Anyway, if flying from DUS on the LCY flight, be careful to go through passport control early to make sure you don't get snarled up in the LHR hordes. The timings of the flights are quite unfortunate in that sense.
Has anyone flown out of DUS to LHR recently? I was reading on Loyalty Lobby's Whine Wednesday about the security lines at DUS.

I'm flying in with AY on 13Oct and have 1h 45 to get a separate BA flight DUS-LHR-SJC. At the time I had no reason for concern because coming in from Finland means straight to baggage collection, then check in and onto LHR. But from reading it seems this airport has an issue with its security contractor.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 1:49 am

Programs: BA (Gold). Various other statuses
i forgot to add this: on Bank Holiday Monday we flew out of Barcelona and had to wait about 30 secs to get to the front of the passport queue. BA had emailed us suggesting we allowed extra time.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 3:54 am

Been through MAD T4 (the non-Schengen K-gates) twice in the last couple of days. The old good passport / ID waiving is back in order. Still there was queue due to only 2 agents checking a full flight coming from London, but max 10min if you were at the back of the queue.
Calchas likes this.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 4:15 am

Programs: BA silver,
OSL last Monday @ 17:30. took 15 mins. QR 787 flight had left so I think only a BA A319 and a Norwegian LGW from the F gates to process.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 9:18 am

Programs: BA Gold (and many other greater and lesser distinctions)
AGP on Tuesday, no queue at all for outbound passport control.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 11:31 pm

Programs: IB+, BAEC
Originally Posted by schrodingerdog
Been through MAD T4 (the non-Schengen K-gates) twice in the last couple of days. The old good passport / ID waiving is back in order. Still there was queue due to only 2 agents checking a full flight coming from London, but max 10min if you were at the back of the queue.
Note that T4S can be a long wait depending on time of day and if you can use the E gates or not.

Usually 2 minutes max if you can (note anyone under 18 must go see a physical agent). I'm non-EU resident so I use the agent line for EU citizens and that has taken about 20 minutes recently while the non-EU line looks to be about 45 minutes.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 10:32 pm

Huge queue right now (6.30am) in Linate. And they seem to be doing some renovation just to compound matters.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.