Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Emigration control delays from some European airports

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Emigration control delays from some European airports

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2017, 5:33 am

Programs: BA GGL / GfL
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Transferring through AMS Schengen to non Schengen may take 10-15 minutes to get through the frontier (or less). I wouldn't want a connection of less than an hour but many MCTs in AMS are in the 40 minute area. The problem appears to be those who start their journeys in AMS, with queues snaking back a long way around the building during peak periods. Privium is the answer for regular travellers (and has been for a while) though I note DYKWIA's reply supra.
Many thanks (as always!)

Pilot37
Old Aug 4, 2017, 5:36 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by Dambus
Sounds like the EU is giving a taste of what a post-Brexit travel experience will feel like.
All E.U. citizens flying in from outside of the E.U. (or to a destination outside of the E.U.) are subject to the same controls. It does not apply just to UK citizens. A UK citizen flying in from within the Schengen zone won't notice any difference.

Last edited by Andriyko; Aug 4, 2017 at 5:42 am
Old Aug 4, 2017, 6:04 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by Andriyko
. A UK citizen flying in from within the Schengen zone won't notice any difference.
Honey - that is not so in France. They are checking everyone regardless of whether you are coming on a Schengen (why did they have to sign that wretched treaty there with that dreadful name? Liege - Brussels - Dusseldorf are much pleasanter names OTT) service or not. In Spain - so far you don't. For now.
Old Aug 4, 2017, 6:54 am

Programs: UA 1k
Any ideas what the status of BRU is for passengers transferring from non-schengen flight to the US on the same alliance (so presumably same terminal).

Are they required to pass through passport control and security on arrival in BRU or can they simply go straight to their next flight.
Old Aug 4, 2017, 6:57 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Richym99
Any ideas what the status of BRU is for passengers transferring from non-schengen flight to the US on the same alliance (so presumably same terminal).

Are they required to pass through passport control and security on arrival in BRU or can they simply go straight to their next flight.
Depends on the precise route. So BA (LON-BRU) to Qatar (BRU-DOH) is usually gate to gate. Qatar to BA is not, that involves security but not passports. You shouldn't need to go through passports but you may need to go through security (and do a lot of walking!).
Old Aug 4, 2017, 6:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Richym99

There is no Schengen control on this connection.

You can usually go up the ramp into the terminal at the end of the airbridge, and bypass security.
Old Aug 4, 2017, 7:13 am

Programs: BA Executive Club Gold, TK Smiles and Miles, Hilton Honors
Not in NCE last week!

Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
Honey - that is not so in France. They are checking everyone regardless of whether you are coming on a Schengen (why did they have to sign that wretched treaty there with that dreadful name? Liege - Brussels - Dusseldorf are much pleasanter names OTT) service or not. In Spain - so far you don't. For now.
Hi,

I almost feel guilty about challenging the wonderful Pucci. However, last week I arrived in to Nice from Munich and there were NO checks done on passports. It was not late at night either, lunchtime!

Cheers
Steve
Old Aug 4, 2017, 7:54 am

Programs: Mucci Grandee (Upgraded), BA Silver, AZ MilleMiglia
Originally Posted by Boyfrombiot
Hi,

I almost feel guilty about challenging the wonderful Pucci. However, last week I arrived in to Nice from Munich and there were NO checks done on passports. It was not late at night either, lunchtime!

Cheers
Steve
I suspect it depends on where you're flying from. Maybe PUCCI flies to France from those parts of the EU where people of concern to the French authorities are more likely to travel from? Evidently they're not coming in from Munich.
Old Aug 4, 2017, 8:14 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
They did it to annoy you. And it seems like they have succeeded.

Schengen rules allow document checks or temporary reintroduction of passport control, which many member states did as an emergency measure. I did not know France was one of them. Still, I thought it was just a matter of showing your passport or national ID if they do checks within the Schengen zone?
Old Aug 4, 2017, 8:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Andriyko
Still, I thought it was just a matter of showing your passport or national ID if they do checks within the Schengen zone?
France is (or was) applying a full check, like any other visitor would get; indeed even stricter than it used to be.
Old Aug 5, 2017, 2:22 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
France has been doing enhanced checks since their Government declared a State of Emergency in November 2015. This has been extended five times, with the current order due for review in November 2017 - and doubtless with many terror scares since the last one it'll get extended.

The French action has nothing whatsoever to do with this piece of EU legislation, and indeed pre-dates it by a considerable period.
Old Aug 5, 2017, 2:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
It is pure co-incidence, as the citizens of Croatia, Cyprus and Ireland will be able to confirm. It was announced some months ago in the light of the recent terrorist incidents where some of the suspects entered Europe from Syria unrecorded. Some countries got their IT upgraded to cope with this, some did not.
+1. Totally unrelated to Brexit, though of course those who request emigration checks in the UK should know what it means time-wise, and should UK citizens not be eligible to use EU/EEA lanes in two years, the experience might be much worse. For the moment, however, UK citizens are no more affected than Italian, French, or Dutch citizens flying to non-Schengen destinations.
Old Aug 5, 2017, 2:56 am

Programs: BA Bronze
Probably a dumb question- the last time I departed from AMS I went through some e gates. Is this still the case or is it now a manual check ?
Old Aug 5, 2017, 2:58 am

Originally Posted by orbitmic
+1. Totally unrelated to Brexit.....For the moment, however, UK citizens are no more affected than Italian, French, or Dutch citizens flying to non-Schengen destinations.
Indeed but it doesn't make such a good 'story'.....
Old Aug 5, 2017, 3:09 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by missdimeaner
Probably a dumb question- the last time I departed from AMS I went through some e gates. Is this still the case or is it now a manual check ?
Still e-gates.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.