Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Safety Video

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2018, 5:16 am

Programs: BA Gold; LH FTL; IHG Diamond; Marriott Gold; ALL Gold
Originally Posted by bisonrav
There is the rare 'I usually do' variant to watch out for of course.
What's that?
Old Mar 26, 2018, 5:22 am

Programs: Deliveroo Plus
Also seems lazy that they mention club world on the video, could they not have a separate version for long-haul and short-haul ?
Old Mar 26, 2018, 5:23 am

Programs: BA, Hilton
Originally Posted by Deltus
What's that?
There's a subtle difference in the segment with Sir Ian McKellen and Warwick Davis explaining the oxygen masks, depending on what aircraft type you are on.

Normally, the dialogue is something like "I'm sure you'll get the part" / "I do hope so"

On an aircraft where there is no bag on the oxygen mask (e.g. 787) it's slightly changed, and Sir Ian replies "I usually do".

Last edited by BertieBadger; Mar 26, 2018 at 5:33 am Reason: Fix typo
Old Mar 26, 2018, 7:04 am

Programs: BA Plastic. HH Diamond. Speedwell Bar Lifetime Platinum.
The Saturday after the Beast from the East on a packed 319 to Aberdeen.
Delayed boarding from gate A10, aircraft at a remote stand, close to South runway.

Screens came down, demo started, but thankfully went back up, and a manual demo to ensure we kept our slot, no doubt due to the length of the video, and the very short taxi.

Thanked the the cabin crew when alighting for saving us from the awful video!
Old Mar 26, 2018, 8:19 am

Programs: IB+, BAEC
I mean, they have to know how many people are frequent flyers and I don't care how well made it is, any joke gets old the 20th time. I don't find the AA "hello everybody" video nearly as grating because it doesn't try to be funny and just gets the point across even though they did try to be creative with it.

Forcing the same joke (that I don't even really get the premise of besides "famous people are talked down to") just grates after multiple times. The first couple times I had a sort of "...eh, they tried" attitude, but now I actively tune out.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 8:37 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by LupineChemist
I mean, they have to know how many people are frequent flyers and I don't care how well made it is, any joke gets old the 20th time. I don't find the AA "hello everybody" video nearly as grating because it doesn't try to be funny and just gets the point across even though they did try to be creative with it.
It's "Hello everyone" (gender neutral of course) and nothing at all happens on that video for the first 35 seconds which seems to be a complete waste of time and there are other seemingly pointless gaps where our presenter is strutting around. Then we're introduced with that snappy line "First things first let's buckle those belts" but none of that is the point. We are asked to pay attention so I pay attention. I don't need it to be witty or engaging. It's only a few minutes of my time on days that I fly.

I cannot think of a single safety video that would receive widespread praise of FT. Producing a new one is a thankless task and doomed to failure on an internet forum.
FeedbirdNiner likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 9:05 am

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I did recently have 3 sectors in a row with manual demonstrations - I had false hopes the awful monstrosity had been pulled, but sadly those dreams were crushed.

I now place my noise-cancelling headphones in my ears and start the music up to drown out the tired, lame jokes. Defeating the purpose of this video. With the old cartoon, I would listen to each one and recite it in my head at the same time.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 9:11 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by LupineChemist
I don't find the AA "hello everybody" video nearly as grating because it doesn't try to be funny and just gets the point across even though they did try to be creative with it.
That one irritates me, too - though not nearly as much as the BA one. I don't know why airlines can't come up with a short, snappy video that grabs and keeps your attention and imparts the essential information. After all, they keep telling us that their number one priority is safety, not entertainment.
flygirl68 likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 9:27 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold, Global Entry
Originally Posted by golfmad

I cannot think of a single safety video that would receive widespread praise of FT. Producing a new one is a thankless task and doomed to failure on an internet forum.
Indeed. Also worth noting that the opinions of frequent flyers are less relevant in this instance. The video needs to be optimised for first time, or relatively inexperienced flyers. The BA video is quirky and different and grabs attention, the same reasons some find it grating on repeated viewing. Watering that down for frequent flyers would be nonsensical.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by golfmad
It's "Hello everyone" (gender neutral of course) and nothing at all happens on that video for the first 35 seconds which seems to be a complete waste of time ...
That has some similarities with the bunny-dropping section of the BA cartoon video. I always thought that these videos were deliberately designed like this so that when they start playing, any crew member who is not yet in their safety demo position has both the prompt and the time to get into position.
golfmad likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 9:30 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by Misco60
That one irritates me, too - though not nearly as much as the BA one. I don't know why airlines can't come up with a short, snappy video that grabs and keeps your attention and imparts the essential information. After all, they keep telling us that their number one priority is safety, not entertainment.
You mean this one?

It goes on for 4m21s... worse for us in non English destinations, they play it a second time in the destination language (German in our case)
Old Mar 26, 2018, 10:47 am
Suspended

I love the AA one. It is a theatrical production with all aspects of a safety video in a very detailed chronograph description. Some of the ideas to demonstrate seat belt and smoking are very refreshing. The stage design and amazing too. Nonetheless, the individualism for each aircraft type is a brilliant idea by illustrate the difference in a box so that it can filled with animation later. The script writer and chronographer showed some really innovative initiatives. I think the theatre and stage background of the production team should be recognised for their work.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 11:04 am

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by chongcao
I love the AA one.
When the guy is in the seat and his "seatbelt" is really made out of someone else's hands, now THAT's funny. I never get tired of that scene. Apparently I'm easily entertained.

Then when he holds up a cigarette lighter and a hand from behind his seat yanks it away, I'm entertained again. Yes, I have low standards for entertainment.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 8:15 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by BertieBadger
There's a subtle difference in the segment with Sir Ian McKellen and Warwick Davis explaining the oxygen masks, depending on what aircraft type you are on.

Normally, the dialogue is something like "I'm sure you'll get the part" / "I do hope so"

On an aircraft where there is no bag on the oxygen mask (e.g. 787) it's slightly changed, and Sir Ian replies "I usually do".
For those wanting to see the bit that differs here it is

Old Apr 5, 2018, 4:47 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
The crew on my flight just abandoned the safety video and switched to a manual demonstration because some passengers said they couldn't see the screens. So now we know what to do. The cabin crew are as delighted as I am.

(Able to post this as we are parked up due to a 1h20 ATC delay to our flight).
TPRun likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.