Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Guide to BA at Cairo airport - ex-CAI trips

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Guide to BA at Cairo airport - ex-CAI trips

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2018, 4:25 pm

Programs: BA GGL
I had the misfortune to be on BA154 yesterday. The plane boarded pushed off and there was even a statement from the FO that we were ahead of schedule. Then the announcement that there was a fault on some component that the engineers would be called to fix (sorry cannot recollect the precise part something critical in slowing the plane speed on landing). Sat on the plane for approximately 2.5 hours to be told that component could not be repaired and everyone needed to get off the plane whilst the last chance to fix the plane was attempted (full power down and power up!). Everyone was held in a holding area for around another hour until unsuprinly we were informed that a new component was needed which had to be flown in and fitted leading to rescheduled flight time of T+1+2 hrs.

Thankfully BA were able to swiftly secure rooms for all at Le Meridien Cairo Hotel with lunch and dinner covered. I had the misfortune earlier in the month to be on a CAI flight from London and based on that experience and a quick search on OTAs considered it highly unlikely that an alternative flight would be forthcoming.

What i found irritating however was BA continuing to post that the flight from London was still showing as on time when it was obvious that there would be a substantial delay. My annoyance came from the fact that i had a needless joirney to the airport the previous week as a result of similar non-timely communication.

My conclusions are this delay seems to be a one-off but there is clearly very little provision to provide for alternatives when problems occur. Ironically for those on a BTB the only concern is a knock on effect on timing for the onward leg since substitution of the plane is not going to happen. In addition the delay may eliminate the cushion of an overnight in Cairo, i posted separately in the BTB thread around how i found that. Again in fairness to BA my EU261 claim was recognized and agreed within a week and i would fully expect the same in this instance. Time is a luxury for me so i would book a similar itinerary again. In addition i had the time for a trip to the pyramids so one off the bucket list!
Old Aug 2, 2018, 4:38 pm

On the subject of the new lounge I would add it is indeed a positive that an additional security check is no longer needed to access. On the downside my Iphone couldnt even detect the lounge WIFI network which was exacerbated by the fact that once my free 30 minutes of Airport wifi were exhausted I couldnt buy additional access in spite of completing the online payment form. And data roaming only worked intermittently when a 4G network was found and was of course extremely expensive (8MB for £5). I had to resort to sending SMS mesages to communicate at one stage!
Old Aug 3, 2018, 8:57 am

Just a couple if points to add/correct following ny fkight back from Cairo today. Firstly the London inbound flight from yesterday operated as per schedule since the plane stranded in Cairo was originally intended for New Orleans today. So there was a timely BA154 departure from Cairo today at 8am and a 26 hour delayed BA154A which i took. The other point of note is that speaking to other passengers they were offered seats yesterday in the same class on the same day Egyptair flight but their corporate policy meant they couldnt not take them up. So all in all seems BA handled a difficult situation well.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 10:01 am

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by MaxFlyer
Per my post above, I’ve been tracking BA154 and BA155.

BA154 is again delayed, this time for 12 hours.

Does anyone know why this is?

Even the BA155 is delayed on a daily basis.
EF shows the average reliability over the past two months to be 10% for BA155 (with an average delay of 70 minutes) and 95% for BA154 (with an average delay of 42 minutes).

More detailed delay info from EF:

Old Aug 12, 2018, 12:11 pm

Programs: BA GfL & GGL, FB Platinum, MB Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Does the laptop in carry-on restriction that has been lifted also apply to peripheral devices such as battery packs etc? BA.com isn’t clear.

Also, it looks like the UK DoT site hasn’t been updated as it still excludes Egypt from the list of restrictive countries.
Old Aug 12, 2018, 12:34 pm

deleted
Old Aug 12, 2018, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
Also, it looks like the UK DoT site hasn’t been updated as it still excludes Egypt from the list of restrictive countries.
It does state this, though:
Some airlines might also have different restrictions. Check with your airline before you travel if you’re not sure about what you can take as hand luggage.
Essentially, the ban from Egypt is still in force unless the airline implements additional security measures to negate the need for the ban.
Old Aug 12, 2018, 3:16 pm

Does the laptop in carry-on restriction that has been lifted also apply to peripheral devices such as battery packs etc? BA.com isn’t clear.
The ban on laptops in carry-ons has been lifted for BA CAI-LHR? I had not heard this. Looking at my itinerary in TripCase still displays the message:

Be advised, because of new UK regulations, electronic devices other than a mobile phone are not allowed onboard this flight. Other devices should be securely packed in your checked baggage.
Old Aug 12, 2018, 3:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by anabolism
The ban on laptops in carry-ons has been lifted for BA CAI-LHR? I had not heard this. Looking at my itinerary in TripCase still displays the message:

Be advised, because of new UK regulations, electronic devices other than a mobile phone are not allowed onboard this flight. Other devices should be securely packed in your checked baggage.
Yes.
Old Aug 12, 2018, 3:28 pm

Originally Posted by BA6501
Cool! Thanks. I will be flying ...-DOH-CAI-LHR-DOH-... and was planning on leaving one or two carry-on bags with laptop and iPad in DOH. Now maybe I'll carry them so I can use them during the two days in CAI.

How bad are the "range of extra security checks at the boarding gate" likely to be? Wondering if it's too burdensome and I should stick with leaving bags in DOH and doing without in CAI.
Old Aug 12, 2018, 3:35 pm

Programs: BA GGL, A3*G, Mucci de l'expertise des Apps
Originally Posted by anabolism
I will be flying ...-DOH-CAI-LHR-
Erm, are you sure? The breakdown of diplomatic relations between Egypt and Qatar mean it is currently not permitted to operate DOH-CAI.
orbitmic likes this.
Old Aug 12, 2018, 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by Airprox
Erm, are you sure? The breakdown of diplomatic relations between Egypt and Qatar mean it is currently not permitted to operate DOH-CAI.
Right, sorry, it's actually ...-DOH-AMM-CAI-LHR-DOH-... Question remains how much hassle the extra screenings in CAI are, and if maybe I should leave a bag or two in DOH.
Old Aug 12, 2018, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Probably a long queue to enter the gate area, a patdown, go through all your bags, test/swab your electronics, and proceed. Not sure if this is done for everyone, a certain % randomly chosen, or "randomly".
Old Aug 12, 2018, 4:11 pm

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
First of all, you will need a printout of your itinerary to enter the airport. Then there are 2 screening points, but they don't take long. Finally, you will get a real thorough screening (pax and carry-on) at the gate. This is not random, everyone gets it.
Old Aug 12, 2018, 4:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by aktchi
First of all, you will need a printout of your itinerary to enter the airport. Then there are 2 screening points, but they don't take long. Finally, you will get a real thorough screening (pax and carry-on) at the gate. This is not random, everyone gets it.
You don't need a printout - An electonic copy will do ; the person was quite happy to look at the details on the computer

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.