Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Guide to BA at Cairo airport - ex-CAI trips

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Guide to BA at Cairo airport - ex-CAI trips

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2018, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by MaxFlyer
Please can someone confirm what should be entered for Host Type and Sponsor for the e-visa application?

Thanks
.. alternatively, save yourself the internet hassle, filling in forms, photo of passport, waiting, waiting, printing confirmation (if it ever arrives).

wait maybe a couple of minutes at a bank window, hand over money, receive a visa sticker for you passport + change. Voila! No forms, no photos, no wait for cofirmation

just like this happy punter..https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29954405-post9.html
Old Jul 10, 2018, 2:00 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
.. alternatively, save yourself the internet hassle, filling in forms, photo of passport, waiting, waiting, printing confirmation (if it ever arrives).

wait maybe a couple of minutes at a bank window, hand over money, receive a visa sticker for you passport + change. Voila! No forms, no photos, no wait for cofirmation

just like this happy punter..https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29954405-post9.html
Indeed this can be an alternative.

However do take care that lines at these counters can be crazy. Last weekend, the BA flight arrived late, just after midnight local time and I had assumed it would be simple (at T3 - mainly *A flights terminal, it is always quiet and fast) but it was a big chaotic scene with lines at both the visa sticker windows and lines towards immigration. Took me close to an hour to clear (and later another 10-15 mins) for lining to get out at the customs/baggage section and out into the crowds in arrivals.
Please also be prepared (best with US Dollars) to purchase the sticket since different counters have their own rules....

I don't know how it normally is at T2, since my last few times entering was via T3 or I just did a transfer to another airline in T2 itself.

Cheers!
Old Jul 10, 2018, 4:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by nldogbert
Indeed this can be an alternative.

However do take care that lines at these counters can be crazy. Last weekend, the BA flight arrived late, just after midnight local time and I had assumed it would be simple (at T3 - mainly *A flights terminal, it is always quiet and fast) but it was a big chaotic scene with lines at both the visa sticker windows and lines towards immigration. Took me close to an hour to clear (and later another 10-15 mins) for lining to get out at the customs/baggage section and out into the crowds in arrivals.
Please also be prepared (best with US Dollars) to purchase the sticket since different counters have their own rules....

I don't know how it normally is at T2, since my last few times entering was via T3 or I just did a transfer to another airline in T2 itself.

Cheers!
Yes, i admit my experience is also generally in T3, and at civilised hours.

Not sure what rules apply at different counters: I avoid the agency ones which appear to retail the stickers, and make sure I'm at a bank widow. There they simply do a foreign exchange deal with currency other than USD, giving you change in EGP.

But count that change!!
Old Jul 12, 2018, 3:38 pm

Programs: BA GfL & GGL, FB Platinum, MB Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by IAN-UK

Last year I purchased the visa stickers from the bank counter in T2 but the queues were horrendous and by the time I go out of the terminal it had take me an hour.

Considering that I don’t have many hours to get to the Le Meridien Hotel, shower, sleep and get back to the terminal for the 8am flight, I thought I would try and save some time.

I applied and received the e-visa today.

Last edited by MaxFlyer; Jul 12, 2018 at 5:53 pm
Old Jul 14, 2018, 7:20 am

If the First class cabin on the B789 is opened to CW passengers, when does this normally happen; at OLCI, at the gate?

Thanks
Old Jul 14, 2018, 8:09 am

Originally Posted by MaxFlyer
If the First class cabin on the B789 is opened to CW passengers, when does this normally happen; at OLCI, at the gate?

Thanks
At olci / 72 hours in advance
Old Jul 14, 2018, 9:37 am

Originally Posted by Frequent flyer 101
At olci / 72 hours in advance
Thank you
Old Jul 15, 2018, 2:06 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

I have not had much luck finding any detailed information on the Pearl Lounge's F&B offering. What's the latest experience of this lounge?

What I did learn is Emirates opened its own lounge at CAI earlier this week which should ease the pressure on the lounges available to oneworld passengers. Skyteam, of course, is already covered with the rather splendid Saudi Alfursan lounge.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 2:40 am

Originally Posted by Prospero
I have not had much luck finding any detailed information on the Pearl Lounge's F&B offering. What's the latest experience of this lounge?
It’s an improvement on the previous First class lounge for sure. Some of the seating areas are quite quirky and it’s obvious there’s thought gone in to the design

There is a chef available at a central open kitchen area where you can sit and have eggs or waffles freshly made. There are also the usual sandwiches, pastries, cheeses, yoghurts etc available from buffet behind the open kitchen

There was also fruit juices, fizzy drinks and water available from the fridges. There was no alcohol on open display though, maybe it’s only later in day or it has to be requested?

The other great thing is no need to go through security between lounge and gate anymore (other than usual gate checks)
Prospero and arpy like this.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 12:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K, BA GGL/CCR, TK Elite Plus, Marriott Gold4Lyfe, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Tesco Blue
The F sets opened up for us at T-72 (CAI-LHR), so we reserved them on line (both of us GGL if that made any difference?). Then, at OLCI, it was closed off again and our original seats had been restored. No idea why this happened (and no idea how it was possible that our old seats were still available).
Old Jul 23, 2018, 3:34 pm

I’ve noticed that the LHR-CAI flight is often delayed, sometimes by a significant amount eg today by 17 hours.

I appreciate that flights are delayed for numerous reasons but these flights seem to be near constantly delayed on a daily basis.

Any known reason for this?

It’s quite worrying, especially when the trip is a tier point run and you need to position yourself in CAI.

Last edited by MaxFlyer; Jul 23, 2018 at 4:22 pm
Old Aug 2, 2018, 12:45 pm

Per my post above, I’ve been tracking BA154 and BA155.

BA154 is again delayed, this time for 12 hours.

Does anyone know why this is?

Even the BA155 is delayed on a daily basis.

Thanks
Old Aug 2, 2018, 12:56 pm

Where are you getting that info from?

From what I can see, BA154 has not been delayed this week, and BA155 is delayed around 60mins daily on departure apart from twice when it’s been around 120mins.

I cant see any 12hr delays
Old Aug 2, 2018, 12:59 pm

Today's 154 is delayed 26hrs currently.
it went tech and awaiting a part from today's 155.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by JFX1764
Today's 154 is delayed 26hrs currently.
it went tech and awaiting a part from today's 155.
Thanks for the info. I couldn’t find anything on The BA Source.

Doing an ex-CAI tier point run later this month so just a bit nervous.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.