Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Guide to BA at Cairo airport - ex-CAI trips

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Guide to BA at Cairo airport - ex-CAI trips

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2019, 6:05 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by BA6501
Row 1 might indeed suffer from galley noise / washroom queues, especially towards the end of the flight. Row 6 has no windows. Too far from Y to get any significant noise, I'd say. Row 4 is a good bet.
I neglected to mention that there are two of us flying together and only rows 1 and 6 have both seats open (rows 2,3,4,5 have one seat taken out of each set of two).
Old Feb 2, 2019, 2:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by anabolism
....Row 6 might get Y noise and of course will take longer to get off in LHR.
What on earth is Y noise ?

I get that it's noise from the economy cabin, but what exactly are you expecting in terms of noise that from source ? Groans of discomfort, clapping on landing, cheerful singalongs, alcohol fuelled chavvy rowdiness?
BA or bust, SkyTeem and DXB2745 like this.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 10:13 am

Check-in open

Does the check-in counter not until open three hours before flight, so 00:45? If I can't check in online, may as well hang in the hotel lobby until midnight?
Old Feb 2, 2019, 11:20 am
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
Originally Posted by anabolism
Does the check-in counter not until open three hours before flight, so 00:45? If I can't check in online, may as well hang in the hotel lobby until midnight?
Yes, it opens between 00:15 and 01:00 in my experience.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 7:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
What on earth is Y noise ?

I get that it's noise from the economy cabin, but what exactly are you expecting in terms of noise that from source ? Groans of discomfort, clapping on landing, cheerful singalongs, alcohol fuelled chavvy rowdiness?
Row 9 - the first row - has the bassinets. Crying babies would be quite annoying IMO, especially considering the timing of this flight...
Old Feb 4, 2019, 6:27 am

Update: Flew this the other day. Gate security screening was surprising since they did a hand search rather than an X-ray scan, and no metal detector. Bag search was quite thorough. Inbound flight from LHR was late, arriving just after 03:00. BA had updated departure time to 04:17, then backed it to 04:15, but there was a long period of no visible activity before crew boarded (they were sitting around the gate for quite some time). Finally started boarding about 04:05. Landed in LHR close to ontime though.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 4:02 am

Programs: bmi Diamond Club
Having just completed my first Cairo trip thought I'd pass my thoughts on it. Did a LHR/CAI in BA Club then EK CAI/DXB/AKL return in First.

Overall it was much better than expected, the guide to getting to Le Meridien was spot on and very handy thank you. Flights went well and the meal on the outbound was excellent, I think it is now catered by Do&Co, you couldn't pre-order for some reason but got my 1st choice which was the lamb, the best I've had anywhere for a long time. The return was good as well, not so much the lounge at Cairo though.

We only got hustled once at the airport on on CAI/DXB, not realising that the men stood around the 1st set of X-Ray machines in the terminal wanted a tip for just lifting our bags onto the machine. After that we made sure we lifted our bags and no-one else touched them, lots of offers though but no issues saying no, and then being left alone.

At the times we went through Cairo the airport was very quiet, so off the BA arrival at around 0230, then our departure at 1225 for our EK flight (same terminal), and our return arrival at 1730 off EK and departure at 0345 for BA.

Overall experience was very positive and I would certainly do another ex Cairo trip again.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 6:26 am

Programs: BA GGL, A3*G, Mucci de l'expertise des Apps
Haven't seen this mentioned anywhere on the forum yet, excuses if it is buried somewhere. Looks like CAI will be switching to a 4-class B772 for 2 months from 11th April to 13th June. Still being sold as a 3 class route obviously, just an upgauge from the previously planned B788/B789 combo.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 12:42 am
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
Anyone attempted a !b2b recently? I wonder if with boarding passes in hand you could manage it
Old Jul 4, 2019, 3:15 am

Originally Posted by nufnuf77
I wonder if with boarding passes in hand you could manage it
On the 9 hour 787 turn, the 1h15m A321 turn or the planned winter 3h15m 787 turn?
Old Jul 8, 2019, 10:17 pm

Programs: Air: QR Silver. BA Silver Emirates, Hotels: CC Gold, IHG Spire AMB, Hilton Diamond.
Any chance BA will be improving their slot times at Cairo any time soon ?
Old Jul 8, 2019, 11:19 pm

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
Originally Posted by Sisyphus1carus
Any chance BA will be improving their slot times at Cairo any time soon ?
No idea, but the timings are somewhere between inconvenient and dreadful. I would probably be using CAI transit more if they were a little more human.
Sisyphus1carus likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 7:52 am

Programs: EK Skywards Gold, TK Elite Plus, QR Platinum, Bonvoy Titanium
Looks like the aircraft is now the high density A321, if I’m not mistaken. Code is 32Q
Old Jul 11, 2019, 7:54 am

Originally Posted by UAworldwide
Looks like the aircraft is now the high density A321, if I’m not mistaken. Code is 32Q
Just for around 10 days at the moment, 9th-19th July off the top of my head.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 9:20 am

Programs: BA Gold · A3 Gold · DL Gold · VY apologist
Just a note to those who are contemplating an overnight in CAI. There is a brand new transit hotel directly in front of the Saudia lounge in T2, just upstairs from the dreadful new MS lounge, airside. It is very nondescript (two weeks ago there was just an A4 sheet of paper that said HOTEL on it on the door). The lobby is basic but the rooms were finished to a surprisingly high standard, with a very comfortable bed, blackout curtains, and triple-pane windows, as well as fast wifi. I paid around 100€ for "up to 8 hours" and noticed that my credit card receipt had the same name as the Saudia lounge on it. It was brilliant and I would absolutely stay there again. I'm so happy I stumbled across it while looking for the MS lounge. It was vastly preferable to spending the night in the lounge.

One bad point: there is a fridge in the room but no minibar.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.