Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

British Airways No Longer A [Skytrax] Four Star Airline?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

British Airways No Longer A [Skytrax] Four Star Airline?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2017, 4:01 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
Nice try, but I didn't say it was irrelevant, just not the 'very topic' of the thread. Feel free to continue to try to put words into my mouth, however ...
Sorry, not trying to put any words in anyone's mouth, but thanks to the clarification and glad to learn that you weren't trying to stop people making constructive comments despite what were IMHO pointless accusations.

And just for the record, I read your post as saying something was irrelevant when you had said 'Actually No' quoting someone saying it was relevant. Sorry if that is not what you meant.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 6:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: Life Miles, Miles and more
Originally Posted by navylad
Sorry, not trying to put any words in anyone's mouth, but thanks to the clarification and glad to learn that you weren't trying to stop people making constructive comments despite what were IMHO pointless accusations.

And just for the record, I read your post as saying something was irrelevant when you had said 'Actually No' quoting someone saying it was relevant. Sorry if that is not what you meant.
I believe it is clear they were refuting the statement that 'the truthfulness of skytrax is the very subject of this thread'.

I am puzzled that some refuse to accept any evidence of decline in BA. We had similar attempts to deflect with the glass door ratings.

Now if this were some kind of outlier those refusing to accept the ratings may have a point, but if you consider it in the context of the trends of opinion on this forum, media coverage and complaints published in the media, staff feedback, TripAdvisor reviews, the unanimous opinion is consistent across all media. Indeed it is BAs policy to reduce costs by reducing service, why is anyone surprised when their customers notice that? And what do you think think is special about BA that means their review scores are lower than competitors subject to the same system, that isn't explained by them being, you know, worse? KLM are ranked higher because certainly in economy at least, they are better. And the majority of people travel in economy.

It's like saying labour are going to win a majority today. Now I may very much wish that were the case, but I have to accept that the evidence isn't on my side, and people probably won't take me very seriously. There is enough evidence that those denying decline in BA are going to have to explain how they rationally come to that conclusion.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 10:27 pm

Programs: Executive Club: Gold - Flying Blue: Gold
Originally Posted by nallison
I believe it is clear they were refuting the statement that 'the truthfulness of skytrax is the very subject of this thread'.

I am puzzled that some refuse to accept any evidence of decline in BA. We had similar attempts to deflect with the glass door ratings.
J
Now if this were some kind of outlier those refusing to accept the ratings may have a point, but if you consider it in the context of the trends of opinion on this forum, media coverage and complaints published in the media, staff feedback, TripAdvisor reviews, the unanimous opinion is consistent across all media. Indeed it is BAs policy to reduce costs by reducing service, why is anyone surprised when their customers notice that? And what do you think think is special about BA that means their review scores are lower than competitors subject to the same system, that isn't explained by them being, you know, worse? KLM are ranked higher because certainly in economy at least, they are better. And the majority of people travel in economy.

It's like saying labour are going to win a majority today. Now I may very much wish that were the case, but I have to accept that the evidence isn't on my side, and people probably won't take me very seriously. There is enough evidence that those denying decline in BA are going to have to explain how they rationally come to that conclusion.
I am also very puzzled because some years ago BA used to have great ratings on skytrax and some were saying BA was overrated.

BA's service has declined in all cabins and it is not as if it is not a fact. It is a strategy by the management. BA can't be in the same league as AF, LH, KL TK or A3. Take a look at A3, do you think they are overrated? Most of their reviews are positive and reflect the better quality of service they provide.
Old Jun 8, 2017, 12:06 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by BA6948
I am also very puzzled because some years ago BA used to have great ratings on skytrax and some were saying BA was overrated.

BA's service has declined in all cabins and it is not as if it is not a fact. It is a strategy by the management. BA can't be in the same league as AF, LH, KL TK or A3. Take a look at A3, do you think they are overrated? Most of their reviews are positive and reflect the better quality of service they provide.
Part of management's 'ability' to let service standards and innovation decline and still boost profits is A) milking the very high brand reputation BA built in the late 80s and into the early part of this century's first decade and B) the huge premium O&D market at LHR.

TK and KL, for example, have to rely heavily on connecting traffic - so they have to provide a better experience than alternate connections. Same with LH and AF to a lesser degree. I don't have the stat anymore - but LHR has something like 10x more premium TATL O&D traffic over the second place airport which I think is CDG.
Old Jun 8, 2017, 12:23 am

I actually think it is Stockholm syndrome for some people.
Old Jun 8, 2017, 12:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by BA6948
BA decided to spend some of its brand premium to enhance profitability. The premium had been built up over years and represented an irreplaceable asset: so it was a risky move.

Hardly surprising that reviews have drifted lower.

I'm guessing strategists in BA were banking on the robustness of its brand, but the scale and scope of the sell-off has been reckless. Short-term, the benefits are obvious: but erosion of market share and/or average revenues looks likely.

The current crew will be long gone before those birds come home to roost
Old Jun 8, 2017, 12:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by rossmacd
I actually think it is Stockholm syndrome for some people.
The other Scandinavian allusion is Canute, holding back the tide of changing opinion
Old Jun 8, 2017, 12:49 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
BA decided to spend some of its brand premium to enhance profitability. The premium had been built up over years and represented an irreplaceable asset: so it was a risky move.

Hardly surprising that reviews have drifted lower.

I'm guessing strategists in BA were banking on the robustness of its brand, but the scale and scope of the sell-off has been reckless. Short-term, the benefits are obvious: but erosion of market share and/or average revenues looks likely.

The current crew will be long gone before those birds come home to roost
I also think the playing field changed from when WW became CEO in 2005 -- back then, nobody thought Ryanair or easyJet would improve their product enough that it would be competitive with BA.

The U.S. airlines were a shambles and the common wisdom is there was no quality competition coming across the pond from the U.S.

There was no A380 that EK had decked out in lounges. EK was considered good but it still had slanty J seats - QR and EY were much, much smaller.

BA as mentioned above benefits from LHR's huge base of premium O&D traffic --

I reckon management in 2005 didn't see a huge danger in getting BA's financials back in order at the expense of cutting back on investments, innovation, and the overall product - after all, they were facing all of the above, plus getting the cover of T5 as a huge move forward.

And it actually all worked OK until about 3-5 years ago -- EK, EY and QR kept growing -- Ryanair and easyJet got much better as did the U.S. carriers - and all of a sudden, BA was not looking so shiny anymore.
Old Jun 8, 2017, 2:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Originally Posted by Andriyko
I am genuinely interested why some take these rankings seriously (including airlines) and quote them. I've for long believed that people are much likelier to post a negative review to vent their anger or dissatisfaction then make an effort to post about a positive experience. This makes the results skewed.

Some members here have probably taken more BA flights than the number of reviews there and their opinion of what can be expected of BA most of the time will have more statistical value than Skytrax reviews. (But it is good to know that only 20 people were annoyed with BoB enough to go to Skytrax and make an announcement about it).
Ok but it seems that BA has by far the most 'reviews' on Skytrax so that means many people are having a negative experience!
Old Jun 8, 2017, 2:56 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder

As I had already apologised for mis-interpretting what they had said, you comment isn't really helpful. I also haven't seen anyone 'refusing to accept evidence of decline in BA', just discussing that Skytrax isn't a useful resource, when BA had a 4 star rating it was just as useless a resource.

Feel free to have a discussion about the 'declining standards of BA' as much as you like, I find the repetitive nature of such posts rather boring and not particularly helpful for what I use FT for; to find out about rules and regulations to maximise my use of an airline I use and to discover new offers. Please don't make any assumption that because someone doesn't contribute to what you wish to discuss that they either agree nor disagree with you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.