Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA Complimentary Status Renewal for Two Years

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA Complimentary Status Renewal for Two Years

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2017, 3:16 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by waffle
Got the email over a week ago, but the expiration date is still the same it was before.
Same for me. I guess patience is a virtue - and essential for BA flyers
Old Jun 10, 2017, 3:35 am

Programs: Always J
Okay, here's our story.

My wife and I were cancelled from T5 on 27 May to Southeast Asia in CW. We both subsequently received the generic apology email with the promise of extending our tier status for a further two years. N.B. we both made Bronze on the back of our outbound trip and we will make the return journey later next week.

Anyway, we rebooked and took our outbound flight to SE Asia on 28 May. I checked both our BAEC accounts a few days later and were correctly credited with 140 TPs each but noted that we attracted the higher Avios rate (Business flexible) of 14798 each rather than the expected 8879 each.

It gets even more bizarre when earlier this week I checked our respective accounts looking for the two year extension and found, erm, no extension, but what I did notice was that we were both credited with an additional 10000+ Avios and 140 TPs each. To summarise, 240 TPs each and a household total of over 50k Avios just for the outbound flight and we're yet to take the return journey. I'm quite new to this Avios lark and certainly not complaining in the slightest.

Just to add to the mix, we have a CE flight booked in August and, with our return TPs expected to be credited in the next week or two, we will hit Silver in August once our CE TPs are credited. How crazy is that?

So I'm wondering whether BA have done some fancy calculations, knowing that the CE flight was already in place attracting 80 TPs each for the return, and just gone wild and made us default Silver (come August) rather than extend our Bronze status for a further two years.

Does this sound plausible?

I'm not even going to call BA about the two year extension as I may very well shoot myself in the foot.
Old Jun 10, 2017, 3:36 am

Programs: BA Gold (and many other greater and lesser distinctions)
As a further data point, Mrs FF99 got the e-mail Friday-a-week ago and I got no e-mail. I e-mailed to ask why on Tuesday, and got a reply yesterday (Friday) saying I was being given the extension.

This morning both accounts are showing the extension of the "card validity" to start 2020, although also showing the original TP year ending dates (end 2017). Surely if the system is to work as normal, both dates should have been extended ?? I foresee another technological glitch when the original year end arrives .....

Still, I am not looking a very welcome gift horse ^ in the mouth !
Old Jun 10, 2017, 4:07 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by HiSo
... I'm not even going to call BA about the two year extension as I may very well shoot myself in the foot.
Congratulations on your fortune! I suspect you will get the two year extension too. If you get to Silver it looks like you'll have that for the next two years as well.
Old Jun 10, 2017, 4:34 am

Many thanks and hope you and the good lady wife are well, Tobias.

FWIW, our accounts evidence that we were credited with the full whack for the CW flight value 27 May (that never was) and credited with the additional 10k+ Avios and 140 TPs value 28 May.

If we are lucky enough to be extended then we're on a ++ but the present bonus is well received and we won't be complaining anytime soon.

Last edited by HiSo; Jun 10, 2017 at 6:58 am
Old Jun 10, 2017, 4:53 am

Many thanks and hope you and the good lady wife and well, Tobias ...
Yes, we are indeed thanks ^

... If we are lucky enough to be extended then we're on a ++ but the present bonus is well received and we won't be complaining anytime soon.
How refreshing. It has certainly helped to make up for some of the disruption you suffered. Others have mentioned being credited for cancelled flights, it might be a further gesture of goodwill from BA to help avoid people missing out on attaining a higher status if they were forced to abandon their trips. I suppose we'll never know .... unless they points are reversed

Please keep us updated if you do find your status has been extended ... or if BA take something away!
Old Jun 10, 2017, 5:27 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold (GGL/CCR) A3 Gold VS Gold Emirates Gold Alitalia MMGold HH Diamond SPG Gold
My data point as a Gold for Life and GGL/CCR holder this year.
WAs flying BA to/from Venice over the affected weekend - got out of LGW before any issues on the morning flight. Inbound the next day only delayed 1 hour for 1ocal reasons rather than IT - so very lucky although could not access GGL line on Saturday to get updates.
I e mailed the GGL address with my booking reference and stated I understood GGL was being extended by 2 years for those affected.
I received an e mail back confirming GGL will be extended for 2 years from the end of my membership year - I have requalified next year already but thought it was a worthwhile gesture
Old Jun 10, 2017, 5:41 am

Originally Posted by Dambus
It looks the the status extension is being offer for 4(?) days around the IT triggered disruption - Friday/Sat/Sun/Mon - is that right?
Flew on the Friday and the Monday. Was not impacted directly but it affected us a little due to the stress of uncertainty.

Have not received the extension btw. All seems hit and miss as usual...
Old Jun 10, 2017, 5:44 am

Originally Posted by Petrus
... Have not received the extension btw. All seems hit and miss as usual...
Oh I don't know. They know you, no doubt they've deliberately missed you out
Old Jun 10, 2017, 5:52 am

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
Oh I don't know. They know you, no doubt they've deliberately missed you out
But I is moderator!!!!

Maybe I should permaban BA Executive Club.
Old Jun 10, 2017, 7:02 am

Programs: BA Gold for Life
I flew on 27th May with a 2 hour delay. I got the extension email. When I log on to my executive club account I see my GGL membership has now been extended by 2 years. This is a good gesture.
Old Jun 10, 2017, 7:13 am

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
Yes, we are indeed thanks ^
Please keep us updated if you do find your status has been extended ... or if BA take something away!
The Lord giveth and the Lord taketh away is a possibility [I'm not religious, BTW], but we didn't properly earn it in the first place, Tobias.

So, we're going to keep our gobs shut and move discreetly on and hope for the best. And, who knows, it might be a genuine gesture although somewhat personalised.

Will get back to you if we, 1. lose the benefits and / or 2. are extended.

Edit: the customer facing BA staff that we came across on Saturday, 27 May, performed amazingly well, just a shame their management appeared to have abandoned them. Still, it was an unprecedented situation, it has to be said.

Last edited by HiSo; Jun 10, 2017 at 7:29 am
Old Jun 10, 2017, 7:24 am

Can I just check what I should be expecting here, I flew on the Saturday / Sunday so definitely affected and got the e-mail.

I'm currently a lowly Bronze, my current TP Year ends on 8th April 2018 by which time I will be a Gold member. My current card expiry is 31st May 2019 which I believe is "normal" and hasn't been extended yet.

With a 2 year extension - I'm expecting the card expiry to be updated to 31st May 2021 which means I will have gold right through to 2021 and Silver through May 2022 (soft landing) before being back at Bronze (May 2023) even if I take no flights?
Old Jun 10, 2017, 7:37 am

Originally Posted by Michael Roberts
My current card expiry is 31st May 2019 which I believe is "normal" and hasn't been extended yet.

With a 2 year extension - I'm expecting the card expiry to be updated to 31st May 2021 ...
You're doing okay and, obviously, suitably extended. No one on planet BA is going to be extended to May 2021.
Old Jun 10, 2017, 7:42 am

You're doing okay and, obviously, suitably extended. No one on planet BA is going to be extended to May 2021.
Are you sure? I thought that was what a normal membership looked like? ie: I'm pretty sure that was what it said before the incident (which makes sense as you retain status for the year after the year it is earned - ie: earn Bronze up to April 2018, retain Bronze up to May 2019) - that doesn't seem like an extension?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.