Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

27 May 'worldwide' BA IT outage | practical assistance/advice [Clutter-free please]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 27, 2017, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NWIFlyer
All IT systems are back up and running and BA are operating normal flight schedules.

PLEASE ASK ALL COMPENSATION RELATED QUESTIONS IN THE DEDICATED TOPIC: The 2017 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation 261/2004. The full list of cancelled and delayed flights for Sunday is to be found here, though note that it is the arrival time that matters for delays.

Successful (or otherwise) reports for claims where the information would be of use to others would, however, be very welcome in this thread.

Monday flight cancellations for LHR listed here. Services to and from LGW, LCY and STN seem to be working more or less on time.. Telephone numbers for rebooking are in this post, note also the difference between what contact centres and airport staff can do, noted here.

Updated 29/05/2017 22:50 (UK time) Link to BA updates: https://www.britishairways.com/trave...VINF4more_news

Baggage
There are a significant number of bags at Heathrow which we will be reuniting with customers via couriers as soon as we can. This will be done free of charge. Please help us to get these to you as quickly as possible by ensuring we have your latest contact details by filing a delayed bag report.

If your journey was disrupted -
Because of the scale of the disruption, most passengers should expect to make their own arrangements to mitigate the disruption as BA will not have resources to assist all passengers. BA have a duty of care under EU Regulation 261/2004 and according to this letter handed out at Gatwick the following costs would usually be claimable from BA.
  • £25 for reasonable meal/refeshment expenses (per adult per day)
  • 2 reasonable phone calls per customer

If an overnight stay is required
  • £200 for a hotel room (for 2 people)
  • £50 Transport to/from the airport (round trip)

Although BA has suggested some guideline costs for duty of care, EU Regulation 261/2004 doesn't specify any monetary cap. By documenting (take a screen capture of a hotel comparison site for example) that there were no cheaper alternatives, it is possible that claims exceeding the guideline costs suggested by BA may be met. Expenses not covered by BA may be claimable from your travel insurance subject to possible policy excesses.

Duty of care is separate from fixed sum compensation (EUR 250 to 600 depending on the flight distance) for flight delays/cancellations, which may or may not be payable under EU Regulation 261/2004 depending on whether BA can show that the flight delay was caused by 'extraordinary circumstances' and that it took 'all reasonable measures' to avoid the resulting delay. Also, airlines do not usually entertain claims for consequential losses (for example, the cost of prepaid accomodation which you can't now use), so you would need to look to your travel insurance for these costs.

EU Regulation 261/2004 does not cover delayed/damaged/lost baggage. The Montreal Convention sets an upper limit for delayed/damaged/lost baggage compensation. For more information, visit the BA.com webpage on delayed/damaged/lost baggage.

You can read the forum thread for guidance on EU Regulation 261/2004 or check back on these forums later for more advice on claiming, but first of all look after yourself during this disruption.

Claiming expenses incurred during the disruption
https://disruptionclaim.britishairways.com/

Historic update as of 18:55 on Saturday

All BA flights from LHR and LGW are cancelled for the remainder of the day (Saturday 27th May). This is due to a major systems outage of most of BA's computer systems. The original cause of the outage was a power failure from which BA has found it difficult to recover.

Because Call Centre systems are also down, and their own web pages may be affected, BA is encouraging affected customer to seek updates via BA Twitter feed and Facebook page.

Alex Cruz has indicated that those passengers who no longer wish to fly with BA on their booking for today will be "fast tracked" for refunds. However, no mechanism for this has yet been communicated (7pm Saturday). Again affected customers are asked to follow the relevant Twitter and Facebook communication channels.

There are reportedly long delays leaving the airport with some customers claiming delays of many hours.
Print Wikipost

27 May 'worldwide' BA IT outage | practical assistance/advice [Clutter-free please]

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2017, 8:28 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
But it might put them in another (even longer?) queue to the same place!

I do feel for those caught up in this.
Yes,I am beginning to think the opportunity to use that route has passed.
Old May 27, 2017, 8:29 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Howard Long
I am keen to find out if the 11:40 BA7 got out to HND as I'm due on the BA8 tomorrow morning and currently have a 4am start (less than 5 hours away).

No it hasn't gone. It was due to leave at 1140, so it is almost 4 hours late and counting. I would be cancelling that 0400 alarm.

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
Booked a redemption earlier today for the BA1338 20.55 LHR-NCL this evening. The RFS amount has been taken from the card but no email and no booking appearing on BA.com. Will need to leave for the airport soon if I do have a booking but the Gold line can't tell me whether or not I'm on the flight.

Programs: BA Gold. IHG Diamond Elite / Ambassador
Originally Posted by KARFA
Yes.
Thanks, KARFA and others who answered,

She says the area towards the shuttle is a zoo (is gate A12 near there?) and she's found somewhere to sit it out for an hour or so having lunch and will then try the shuttle.

Thanks again FT.
Old May 27, 2017, 8:31 am

Where are you getting this information from?

I am keen to find out if the 11:40 BA7 got out to HND as I'm due on the BA8 tomorrow morning and currently have a 4am start (less than 5 hours away).
look at a flight radar app to see if the flight is airborne or not.
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Gomac
Booked a redemption earlier today for the BA1338 20.55 LHR-NCL this evening. The RFS amount has been taken from the card but no email and no booking appearing on BA.com. Will need to leave for the airport soon if I do have a booking but the Gold line can't tell me whether or not I'm on the flight.
If you need to travel, get the train. There is a chance it might operate but given BA's poor record of recovery from major disruption a much greater chance it won't.

Was lucky to get out on the 233 this morning. We had to hold for 30mins as the load planning system was down...which must have been the start of the chaos.
In Memoriam

Programs: BA Silver; IHG Gold Elite; Hilton Gold
As long as I get my flower in the first loos next week...
Old May 27, 2017, 8:33 am

Programs: VS FC Gold, BA EC Gold, Amex Centurion, EK Gold, ex-G-ATVK driver
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
ba.com states that ALL FLIGHTS up to 18:00L are cancelled. There is no functionality on ba.com to list the affected flights because of the IT issue causing the cancellations.

I doubt many (any?) flights will leave today, given the backlog in the check-in zone.
The flight I have in mind was due to leave at 11:40 (BA7) some time before the announcement of flights being cancelled. The gate is still showing "open". I doubt people will still be sat in the gate area four hours later.

Some flights have left. Which are they? That way those of us who are due to return to the UK have a chance of knowing whether to make the trip to the airport or not.

A list of cancelled flights was referred to earlier on that was on the BA Facebook page. I have been unable to find that list.
Old May 27, 2017, 8:34 am

Programs: Delta Diamond, United 1K, BA Blue, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by Forever in Seattle
No it hasn't gone. It was due to leave at 1140, so it is almost 4 hours late and counting. I would be cancelling that 0400 alarm.
I would not be so hasty. What about turning up anyway and trying to get rebooked on JL43 that leaves about 2.5 hours later? Or reroute via HKG/DOH? From experience agents in airports can usually do more than those on the phone or the website.
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
The flight I have in mind was due to leave at 11:40 (BA7) some time before the announcement of flights being cancelled. The gate is still showing "open". I doubt people will still be sat in the gate area four hours later.

Some flights have left. Which are they? That way those of us who are due to return to the UK have a chance of knowing whether to make the trip to the airport or not.

A list of cancelled flights was referred to earlier on that was on the BA Facebook page. I have been unable to find that list.
Your inbound flight has not gone anywhere. BA7 is still on the ground.

Originally Posted by KARFA
That is not likely to help much though since the transit will soon become blocked and you will still meet the same queue of people at the immigration desks when you get back to T5A.
I'm there now. Skipped at least 1.5hrs I reckon
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
Originally Posted by fac383
she does. Canadian citizen with leave to remain visa card.
She can exit via T5C and back (on the train) then.

Originally Posted by florens
Watching BBC now. A guy says that there has been no food/drinks vouchers distributed to passengers.
I'm pretty sure those are FLY issued now!

Programs: VS FC Gold, BA EC Gold, Amex Centurion, EK Gold, ex-G-ATVK driver
Originally Posted by kaizenflying
look at a flight radar app to see if the flight is airborne or not.
Thanks, already tried that, no good. Someone had details for the BA215 to BOS but I don't know where they got that from, FR24 doesn't have it.

So where is this information coming from?
Old May 27, 2017, 8:35 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Just another data point: My dad is on his way DEL>LHR>IAD and has landed at LHR, but stuck on the tarmac as no gates are available. Engines off but APU/Aircon is running. He's booked on BA293 at 1720 but sounds like that is canceled. We'll see what happens.
Old May 27, 2017, 8:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
never mind

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.