Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

27 May 'worldwide' BA IT outage | practical assistance/advice [Clutter-free please]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 27, 2017, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NWIFlyer
All IT systems are back up and running and BA are operating normal flight schedules.

PLEASE ASK ALL COMPENSATION RELATED QUESTIONS IN THE DEDICATED TOPIC: The 2017 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation 261/2004. The full list of cancelled and delayed flights for Sunday is to be found here, though note that it is the arrival time that matters for delays.

Successful (or otherwise) reports for claims where the information would be of use to others would, however, be very welcome in this thread.

Monday flight cancellations for LHR listed here. Services to and from LGW, LCY and STN seem to be working more or less on time.. Telephone numbers for rebooking are in this post, note also the difference between what contact centres and airport staff can do, noted here.

Updated 29/05/2017 22:50 (UK time) Link to BA updates: https://www.britishairways.com/trave...VINF4more_news

Baggage
There are a significant number of bags at Heathrow which we will be reuniting with customers via couriers as soon as we can. This will be done free of charge. Please help us to get these to you as quickly as possible by ensuring we have your latest contact details by filing a delayed bag report.

If your journey was disrupted -
Because of the scale of the disruption, most passengers should expect to make their own arrangements to mitigate the disruption as BA will not have resources to assist all passengers. BA have a duty of care under EU Regulation 261/2004 and according to this letter handed out at Gatwick the following costs would usually be claimable from BA.
  • £25 for reasonable meal/refeshment expenses (per adult per day)
  • 2 reasonable phone calls per customer

If an overnight stay is required
  • £200 for a hotel room (for 2 people)
  • £50 Transport to/from the airport (round trip)

Although BA has suggested some guideline costs for duty of care, EU Regulation 261/2004 doesn't specify any monetary cap. By documenting (take a screen capture of a hotel comparison site for example) that there were no cheaper alternatives, it is possible that claims exceeding the guideline costs suggested by BA may be met. Expenses not covered by BA may be claimable from your travel insurance subject to possible policy excesses.

Duty of care is separate from fixed sum compensation (EUR 250 to 600 depending on the flight distance) for flight delays/cancellations, which may or may not be payable under EU Regulation 261/2004 depending on whether BA can show that the flight delay was caused by 'extraordinary circumstances' and that it took 'all reasonable measures' to avoid the resulting delay. Also, airlines do not usually entertain claims for consequential losses (for example, the cost of prepaid accomodation which you can't now use), so you would need to look to your travel insurance for these costs.

EU Regulation 261/2004 does not cover delayed/damaged/lost baggage. The Montreal Convention sets an upper limit for delayed/damaged/lost baggage compensation. For more information, visit the BA.com webpage on delayed/damaged/lost baggage.

You can read the forum thread for guidance on EU Regulation 261/2004 or check back on these forums later for more advice on claiming, but first of all look after yourself during this disruption.

Claiming expenses incurred during the disruption
https://disruptionclaim.britishairways.com/

Historic update as of 18:55 on Saturday

All BA flights from LHR and LGW are cancelled for the remainder of the day (Saturday 27th May). This is due to a major systems outage of most of BA's computer systems. The original cause of the outage was a power failure from which BA has found it difficult to recover.

Because Call Centre systems are also down, and their own web pages may be affected, BA is encouraging affected customer to seek updates via BA Twitter feed and Facebook page.

Alex Cruz has indicated that those passengers who no longer wish to fly with BA on their booking for today will be "fast tracked" for refunds. However, no mechanism for this has yet been communicated (7pm Saturday). Again affected customers are asked to follow the relevant Twitter and Facebook communication channels.

There are reportedly long delays leaving the airport with some customers claiming delays of many hours.
Print Wikipost

27 May 'worldwide' BA IT outage | practical assistance/advice [Clutter-free please]

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2017, 8:43 am

Programs: VS FC Gold, BA EC Gold, Amex Centurion, EK Gold, ex-G-ATVK driver
Originally Posted by ratechaser
Questions for the experts please... so I have a BA holidays booking, outbound (theoretically) tonight to DXB at 22.20. So, IF this is cancelled (which I'm seeing as a distinct possibility:

1) Can I just book myself and my family on an EK/QF flight one way and get this reimbursed by BA? Looks like we could do it for about £400 each
2) If the flight is cancelled, would the hotel booking in the package still be intact?
3) Likewise if the outbound flight is cancelled, would the return flight still be preserved?
I would not rebook myself if I wanted a refund (1) and not risk the return being cancelled (3), definitely get BA to endorse your outbound tickets. Also if you have access to ExpertFlyer you can show them available alternatives for re-ticketing.

BA isn't joined up enough to cancel the hotel/accommodation. I assume you have printed out the accommodation voucher? Or is that part of the system down too? :-(
Old May 27, 2017, 8:44 am

Programs: BA GGL
I just got back into mmb. None of the usual Red plastering at the moment, so no rebooking yet possible.
Old May 27, 2017, 8:48 am

Programs: BA Gold
It looks like just 1 BA LGW flight has managed to leave in the last hour. I would guess their manual backup plan has come to a grinding halt (sadly). I guess crew hours are going to come it to play on Long Haul flights with nothing really getting airborne the last few hours.

I feel sorry for all the passengers and staff caught up in this mess.
Old May 27, 2017, 8:48 am

Originally Posted by KARFA
BA215 is not scheduled to depart today until 1820 anyway. FR24 is correct, BA7 is not airborne.
Sorry my mistake, BA213. It's late here.
Old May 27, 2017, 8:50 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Howard Long
Sorry my mistake, BA213. It's late here.
BA213 is showing as airborne on FR24, with an actual departure time of 1426.
Old May 27, 2017, 8:51 am

Latest rumour from the engineering base. The office I work in is next to the building where the majority of ba's servers are kept. Apparently its rather busy.

Rumour has it there was a power cut this morning and for whatever reason the backup power source didn't come to life as planned. Although power did come back on it was too late to recover the situation. As I say - this is only a rumour which are rife in engineering at the moment.

Next info at 1800 but apparently it's "not looking good for then" which might be the understatement of the year.
Old May 27, 2017, 8:52 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
Looking at south security, I can't see anyone coming through it.
On the floor below, loads of people queuing back to the lounges at the very least.
Old May 27, 2017, 8:54 am

That list just shows all flights where scheduled departure time is before current time. It does not list only flights which have actually departed.
However, it is easy to see that BA 213 to BOS (11:15) was the last scheduled flight to depart from LHR.

Likewise, BA712 to ZRH (9:25) was the first scheduled flight not to depart.
Old May 27, 2017, 8:54 am

Programs: Sir Ratechaser Seigneur de la Patience d'un Saint (Mucci), BA Silver, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by Howard Long
I would not rebook myself if I wanted a refund (1) and not risk the return being cancelled (3), definitely get BA to endorse your outbound tickets. Also if you have access to ExpertFlyer you can show them available alternatives for re-ticketing.

BA isn't joined up enough to cancel the hotel/accommodation. I assume you have printed out the accommodation voucher? Or is that part of the system down too? :-(
Fortunately I did print the accommodation voucher a few days back, and I was rather assuming the fact that I needed one meant that at least that would be 'safe'...

Alas, no ExpertFlyer access, but I would be targeting a reroute on QF8006 which goes 5 minutes earlier than my current flight. At least it's still OW marketed, even if on EK metal.

But I thought the fundamental problem at the moment is that BA has no systems access to reroute people?
Old May 27, 2017, 8:55 am

Originally Posted by alextheengineer
Just had it confirmed, it's affecting everything with the exception of Yammer - an internal social network. E-mail is also apparently back on for those using the outlook phone app or who were already logged in when the outage happened.

Looking at Yammer, staff are just as angry as the customers. Yammer is available as a phone app so I assume that's how everyone is commenting. It's certainly how I'm viewing it now. IT services have promised updates on there but I can't see any yet.

Meanwhile, I am just passing Peterborough en route Leeds. No IT failures on VTEC today!
Seems like a widespread core IT infrastructure issue. Rather than anything to do with FLY. This is just the sort of thing that is outsourced, likely a change gone wrong.

Bigger question is - Will Heathrow allow BA to break the curfew tonight to move passengers?

Flights are of course restricted between 2330 and 0600 does this qualify as "extraordinary" to allow BA to break the curfew?

The impact on passengers would be lessened, but the other side is why should residents in London have to suffer noise throughout the night because BA cant keep its IT up & running?
Old May 27, 2017, 8:56 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Latest rumour from the engineering base. The office I work in is next to the building where the majority of ba's servers are kept. Apparently its rather busy.

Rumour has it there was a power cut this morning and for whatever reason the backup power source didn't come to life as planned. Although power did come back on it was too late to recover the situation. As I say - this is only a rumour which are rife in engineering at the moment.

Next info at 1800 but apparently it's "not looking good for then" which might be the understatement of the year.
Thanks Alex for the updates.
Old May 27, 2017, 8:57 am

BA213 is showing as airborne on FR24, with an actual departure time of 1426.
Thanks, looks like the 7 is cancelled. Tomorrow will be a fun day! JL showing F0 but ANA has F5, hopefully they'll be able to shift me but it's an award ticket so I don't know what happens in that case.
Old May 27, 2017, 8:58 am

Programs: BA LTG, UA Gold, EK Silver, Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott LT Titanium, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by ratechaser
Questions for the experts please... so I have a BA holidays booking, outbound (theoretically) tonight to DXB at 22.20. So, IF this is cancelled (which I'm seeing as a distinct possibility:

1) Can I just book myself and my family on an EK/QF flight one way and get this reimbursed by BA? Looks like we could do it for about £400 each
2) If the flight is cancelled, would the hotel booking in the package still be intact?
3) Likewise if the outbound flight is cancelled, would the return flight still be preserved?

Thanks... trying to figure out options here. Family do not see Devon as a reasonable alternative to Dubai!!!
If I were you I'd cancel and get a full refund. I just landed into DXB last night; It's the start of Ramadan today, is just hitting 40 degrees with lots of humidity so why on earth would you want to come here for a holiday ??????

Devon would be Heaven and they will be begging you to go there by tomorrow afternoon!
Old May 27, 2017, 8:59 am

I find it interesting that BA730 to GVA departed LHR 15 minutes ago or so after a 3 hour delay. Did everyone on that flight manage to check in before the outage?
Old May 27, 2017, 9:00 am

Programs: LH M+M
Like Delta 2016 - that will come in with a major financial loss.

Delta incident "background" http://perspectives.mvdirona.com/201...ts-arent-rare/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.