Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

27 May 'worldwide' BA IT outage | practical assistance/advice [Clutter-free please]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 27, 2017, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NWIFlyer
All IT systems are back up and running and BA are operating normal flight schedules.

PLEASE ASK ALL COMPENSATION RELATED QUESTIONS IN THE DEDICATED TOPIC: The 2017 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation 261/2004. The full list of cancelled and delayed flights for Sunday is to be found here, though note that it is the arrival time that matters for delays.

Successful (or otherwise) reports for claims where the information would be of use to others would, however, be very welcome in this thread.

Monday flight cancellations for LHR listed here. Services to and from LGW, LCY and STN seem to be working more or less on time.. Telephone numbers for rebooking are in this post, note also the difference between what contact centres and airport staff can do, noted here.

Updated 29/05/2017 22:50 (UK time) Link to BA updates: https://www.britishairways.com/trave...VINF4more_news

Baggage
There are a significant number of bags at Heathrow which we will be reuniting with customers via couriers as soon as we can. This will be done free of charge. Please help us to get these to you as quickly as possible by ensuring we have your latest contact details by filing a delayed bag report.

If your journey was disrupted -
Because of the scale of the disruption, most passengers should expect to make their own arrangements to mitigate the disruption as BA will not have resources to assist all passengers. BA have a duty of care under EU Regulation 261/2004 and according to this letter handed out at Gatwick the following costs would usually be claimable from BA.
  • £25 for reasonable meal/refeshment expenses (per adult per day)
  • 2 reasonable phone calls per customer

If an overnight stay is required
  • £200 for a hotel room (for 2 people)
  • £50 Transport to/from the airport (round trip)

Although BA has suggested some guideline costs for duty of care, EU Regulation 261/2004 doesn't specify any monetary cap. By documenting (take a screen capture of a hotel comparison site for example) that there were no cheaper alternatives, it is possible that claims exceeding the guideline costs suggested by BA may be met. Expenses not covered by BA may be claimable from your travel insurance subject to possible policy excesses.

Duty of care is separate from fixed sum compensation (EUR 250 to 600 depending on the flight distance) for flight delays/cancellations, which may or may not be payable under EU Regulation 261/2004 depending on whether BA can show that the flight delay was caused by 'extraordinary circumstances' and that it took 'all reasonable measures' to avoid the resulting delay. Also, airlines do not usually entertain claims for consequential losses (for example, the cost of prepaid accomodation which you can't now use), so you would need to look to your travel insurance for these costs.

EU Regulation 261/2004 does not cover delayed/damaged/lost baggage. The Montreal Convention sets an upper limit for delayed/damaged/lost baggage compensation. For more information, visit the BA.com webpage on delayed/damaged/lost baggage.

You can read the forum thread for guidance on EU Regulation 261/2004 or check back on these forums later for more advice on claiming, but first of all look after yourself during this disruption.

Claiming expenses incurred during the disruption
https://disruptionclaim.britishairways.com/

Historic update as of 18:55 on Saturday

All BA flights from LHR and LGW are cancelled for the remainder of the day (Saturday 27th May). This is due to a major systems outage of most of BA's computer systems. The original cause of the outage was a power failure from which BA has found it difficult to recover.

Because Call Centre systems are also down, and their own web pages may be affected, BA is encouraging affected customer to seek updates via BA Twitter feed and Facebook page.

Alex Cruz has indicated that those passengers who no longer wish to fly with BA on their booking for today will be "fast tracked" for refunds. However, no mechanism for this has yet been communicated (7pm Saturday). Again affected customers are asked to follow the relevant Twitter and Facebook communication channels.

There are reportedly long delays leaving the airport with some customers claiming delays of many hours.
Print Wikipost

27 May 'worldwide' BA IT outage | practical assistance/advice [Clutter-free please]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2017, 3:58 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Ah, the old "Your cheque is in the post" routine. Not heard that one for a while

The second most used lie ever.
Old Aug 7, 2017, 1:29 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Woke up this morning to find an e-mail from BA Customer Relations noting that my EU/261 claim for my initial canceled flight on 28 May was approved (and, of course, that my claim for my canceled rebooked flight was denied).

So I have no idea if my earlier phone call was what prompted the claim approval (and/or that as suggested above, they were stalling / trying to say whatever to get me off the phone), or if it's just that their e-mails are very delayed. Either way, may not hurt to call in to UK Gold line if you haven't heard anything from BA.
Old Aug 12, 2017, 9:56 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Finally received a satisfactory outcome to my husband's baggage compensation claim.
While I feel extraordinarily lucky to get results, I know it's 100% due to having gold status.. as his own efforts were ignored. It's kind of sad.. but I hope to never experience this kind of insanity again with BA.
Old Sep 1, 2017, 2:08 am

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
As mentioned in my prior post, BA approved my EU261 claim for my canceled original flight, but rejected my EU261 claim for my rebooked flight the next day that was also canceled. In response to the rejection, I requested a "final response" and indicated I intended to take the matter to CEDR/MCOL.

I received a response a few weeks later that BA has now decided to approve my second claim. I find this interaction unsavory in the extreme, as it shows BA knows they will lose should claimants in my position seek CEDR/MCOL - but they are hoping the claimants will go away.

What's so farcical about this ordeal is that I initially requested only ~100€ in compensation and would have been happy with that along with the EU261 compensation for the original canceled flight. I only looked into filing a claim for the second flight after BA denied every other compensation request I made (BA went as far as to refuse compensation even for my ground transportation costs or half of the fare of my return HEX ticket that I could no longer use, as I had to fly into LGW rather than LHR).

So now, 3 months and 500€ later, BA is not only financially worse off but I've also wound up infuriated by BA's constant delays and obstruction on the matter, which makes all their apologies empty and insincere.
Calchas and T8191 like this.
Old Sep 1, 2017, 8:14 am

Programs: Just a lowly Blue ;(
I can't believe that people still haven't been paid out.

BA really need to be dragged in front of a select committee
Calchas likes this.
Old Sep 1, 2017, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mdj1
I can't believe that people still haven't been paid out.

BA really need to be dragged in front of a select committee
Make a complaint about the effectiveness of the EC 261/2004 regulations to your MP.

You can send him/her an email here: https://www.theyworkforyou.com

You'll get an empty but soothing reply from your MP and then a week or two later you'll get a second letter from the minister of transport, but when they come to look at refreshing EC 261/2004 post-Brexit in a climate of electoral fear maybe your words will stick in someone's mind.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.