Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Status extension for maternity/paternity/adoption

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2017, 5:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: KLM Plat, BA Bronze

Does anyone have any examples of this being awarded?

My EC year runs Jun-Jun and my son was born last Feb. I stopped flying BA shortly afterwards, due to defecting to KLM because of the EC changes meaning I wasn't going to be able to keep status and better pricing on routes being offered. But i'm wondering if I could use this to keep silver for a bit longer
Old May 10, 2017, 5:58 am

Programs: BAEC: BRONZE (Basic member: KLM, Emirates, United)
From BA.com

"In order to qualify for the maternity/paternity/adoption leave freeze, members will need to provide a letter from their doctor, a birth certificate or documentation relating to the adoption or paternity leave and email it to [email protected], along with their Executive Club membership name and number.
Children enrolled in a household account can accumulate Avios points for flights, however only adults aged 18 years or over in the household account can redeem points.
The maternity/paternity/adoption leave freeze offer is available to both biological and adoptive parents and members’ status will be extended for a further year.
Members who have received complimentary status or have Gold or Gold Guest List membership for life are not eligible for the maternity/paternity/adoption leave freeze.
Eligible Members are limited to a maximum of two approved applications for the maternity/paternity/adoption leave freeze within a five year period.
The maternity/paternity/adoption leave and seat selection on short-haul basic are available to Executive Club Members around the world."
Old May 10, 2017, 6:09 am

Originally Posted by highlander100
Does anyone have any examples of this being awarded?

My EC year runs Jun-Jun and my son was born last Feb. I stopped flying BA shortly afterwards, due to defecting to KLM because of the EC changes meaning I wasn't going to be able to keep status and better pricing on routes being offered. But i'm wondering if I could use this to keep silver for a bit longer
Born in Feb 2016? Not sure they would consider a claim that far back.

I did call BAEC to discuss another matter, and asked a few questions about this. They asked if I had flown BA since our son was born. Before he was born, I retained Gold until Oct 2018, and as this is a status freeze rather than an extension, I can't see that expiry date changing either based on what they said. Our little one was born on Mother's day this year. I did email anyway and was advised a response could be around 4 weeks. The 1,000 avios bonus is expected though
Old May 10, 2017, 7:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: KLM Plat, BA Bronze
Originally Posted by lavajava
Born in Feb 2016? Not sure they would consider a claim that far back.

I did call BAEC to discuss another matter, and asked a few questions about this. They asked if I had flown BA since our son was born. Before he was born, I retained Gold until Oct 2018, and as this is a status freeze rather than an extension, I can't see that expiry date changing either based on what they said. Our little one was born on Mother's day this year. I did email anyway and was advised a response could be around 4 weeks. The 1,000 avios bonus is expected though
Cheers, my logic being that he was born, I stopped flying in my membership year and thus didn't qualify. It depends what they class as a freeze. Can they freeze my silver membership now and give me a year to pick it up again? Or could it only be done at the time he was born.

I suspect i know the answer, but worth a shot.
Old May 10, 2017, 8:06 am

Originally Posted by highlander100
Cheers, my logic being that he was born, I stopped flying in my membership year and thus didn't qualify. It depends what they class as a freeze. Can they freeze my silver membership now and give me a year to pick it up again? Or could it only be done at the time he was born.

I suspect i know the answer, but worth a shot.
Give it a shot! Given they asked me if I'd flown since ours was born it may be a factor in their decision (speculation). It would be good to use this thread to document any official responses from BA for those that have applied. I'll add mine here as soon as I get it.
Old May 10, 2017, 8:26 am

Programs: BA Gold
Just bumping into this thread - is this "benefit" only for those who are actually on maternity / paternity leave? And by that I mean my wife for example who is off work for a year.

Or can I claim this benefit (in isolation or along with my wife), as I'm still working full time but simply not travelling with work or flying as my wife needs me to be at home?
Old May 10, 2017, 10:42 am

Anyone can claim it, you don't need to be on formal parental leave SEW247.
Old May 10, 2017, 1:35 pm

Programs: BA Gold
So much situation:

- I'm Silver, membership year ending 10th October 2017 therefore I have only 5 months left. I won't earn enough TPs before then as I'm not flying much

- Wife Silver, membership year ending 12th Jan 2018, again won't earn enough TPs

- Our daughter was born 09/01/17. Already have her passport and obviously birth certificate.

- Wife on Mat leave for 1 year, I'm sill working full time.

So what we are saying is that if I provide BA my baby's evidence we can get a year extension on our status? Seems too good to be true to more or that there will be some spurious terms and conditions!!!!
Old May 10, 2017, 3:39 pm

What is really annoying for me personally is that I gave up a very easy silver renewal offer recently, mostly because my wife is pregnant and there seemed little value in it when I had no prospect of personal travel for a while. Had I known I could have frozen status, I would definitely have renewed.

Still, can't complain. Just bad luck on my part. It's a positive move by BA.
Old May 11, 2017, 10:05 am

Response from BA

I got a response from BA today on this. I've quoted the response below. The emails states extended and on hold so I can see why this is confusing. This is not an extension in my case, as I already retained gold until then. I might try my luck in asking for Sept 2019

Originally Posted by BAEC
Dear LavaJava,
Thank you for getting in touch with us about your recent paternity leave - I would like to take the time to offer my personal congratulations on behalf of British Airways at this wonderful time.
Members who may be taking fewer or no flights during their maternity, paternity or adoption leave can apply to put their account on hold for a year, protecting hard-earned Executive Club Bronze, Silver or Gold status.
As one of our loyal Gold Members, I am delighted to inform you that I have now extended your current Gold Tier status until September 2018.

I have also added 1,000 Avios to Master LavaJava's account as a welcoming gift from the Executive Club, and you should see this on his statement within 7 days.
We hope this is helpful, and we would like to give you and your new child our best wishes for the future.
If you would like to contact me again about this case please click on this link:
Best regards

British Airways Executive Club
Do let us know how you all get on if you are considering this benefit.
Old May 12, 2017, 4:48 am

Programs: BA Silver
My EC year runs May-May and my child was born in April.

I received a response from BA today. Extension of silver until May next year :-)

A very good and sensible policy from BA.

EdiFrank
Old May 12, 2017, 7:47 pm

Does anyone know if your status is GGL, will BA extend GGL or just Gold for a year? I wrote in to ask a week back, but still today have received no answer...
Old May 13, 2017, 2:04 am

Originally Posted by carrotjuice
Does anyone know if your status is GGL, will BA extend GGL or just Gold for a year? I wrote in to ask a week back, but still today have received no answer...
Assuming you were not provided complimentary status, and given this is a status freeze for a year, My guess would be they freeze your GGL status. I'd expect a response in the next week on the outcome. Do post it here along with the dates please
Old May 13, 2017, 2:13 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
My EC year is Dec-Dec, I will requalify as Silver this year, making me silver through to December 2018.
Our 2nd child is due in October. Will they extend my status to December 2019? The basis being I won't be flying so much in 2018.
Old May 13, 2017, 2:20 am

Originally Posted by britbronco22
My EC year is Dec-Dec, I will requalify as Silver this year, making me silver through to December 2018.
Our 2nd child is due in October. Will they extend my status to December 2019? The basis being I won't be flying so much in 2018.
I would apply for that Freeze in December 2017 just after your membership year renews You'll see I had a similar situation and really should have tried sending that email in Sept!

One thing that is not very clear is how far is BA willing to go back when approving this but it's only 2 months for you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.