Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Status extension for maternity/paternity/adoption

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Status extension for maternity/paternity/adoption

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2017, 2:30 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
I emailed BA on 3/5 to request this, including a copy of the birth certificate. I had already soft landed to silver as flew a lot less in the year leading up to and following the birth, which was in the middle of my TP year. I did ask about the level being reinstated but not heard anything back.
Old May 14, 2017, 2:55 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Radisson VIP, Hertz Gold, Accor Plat
I emailed the birth cert (7 months old) 3 days before my collection year ended on 8th May. Never got an emailed response however I notice on my BAEC account I'm now Silver thru June 2018. Perhaps the email is to follow.

Result!
Old May 14, 2017, 5:53 pm

Programs: "Only" 50,000 TPs until BA GGLfL
Is this a status "freeze" (ie. you have no access to your status benefits during the time off) or a free status extension and you can use the status benefits whilst you are on leave?
Old May 14, 2017, 7:00 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by alexwuk
Is this a status "freeze" (ie. you have no access to your status benefits during the time off) or a free status extension and you can use the status benefits whilst you are on leave?
Extension. It should recognise your status and associated benefits.
Old May 14, 2017, 9:50 pm

I see Alaskan have followed suit and implemented the same scheme.
Old May 15, 2017, 3:34 am

Originally Posted by alexwuk
BA used both terms in their response, but yes, in theory it's an extension with full access to benefits.
Old May 15, 2017, 3:36 am

Originally Posted by phoneticduck
I emailed the birth cert (7 months old) 3 days before my collection year ended on 8th May. Never got an emailed response however I notice on my BAEC account I'm now Silver thru June 2018. Perhaps the email is to follow.

Result!
Thanks for posting this. Good move. I think this post serves as a good reminder to choose your timing carefully when applying (note to self)

Now, who has managed to get them to agree to this, with a child older than 7 months.
Old May 17, 2017, 10:45 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

I wonder how this benefit works if you use it during a year that you qualified for a higher status. For example, my benefit year ends June 8th and I just reached Gold status.
If I applied for the paternity benefit tomorrow with no flights planned in the future, would I have Gold for another year (extension), followed by the usual "earned" year of Gold status? Or would I drop to Silver after the extension ends?
Old May 17, 2017, 10:55 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Still waiting for response to email sent on 3/5/17 and followed up on 13/5/17.
Old May 18, 2017, 1:59 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Radisson VIP, Hertz Gold, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by izzik
I wonder how this benefit works if you use it during a year that you qualified for a higher status. For example, my benefit year ends June 8th and I just reached Gold status.
If I applied for the paternity benefit tomorrow with no flights planned in the future, would I have Gold for another year (extension), followed by the usual "earned" year of Gold status? Or would I drop to Silver after the extension ends?
Ask that question in the email you send when applying and make your application contingent upon the outcome you prefer more. I think it will be the former not the latter of the two outcomes you suggested.

I got a very personal response, it wasn't boiler plate or automated, tailored to my circumstances.
Old May 25, 2017, 2:41 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by madfish
Still waiting for response to email sent on 3/5/17 and followed up on 13/5/17.
Any recent experiences of getting a response from BA? I am still awaiting and even sent a tweet and DM on Sunday 21st May. The reply from the twitter team was that they would send it on, but still not heard anything.
Old May 31, 2017, 3:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: KLM Plat, BA Bronze
Originally Posted by madfish
Any recent experiences of getting a response from BA? I am still awaiting and even sent a tweet and DM on Sunday 21st May. The reply from the twitter team was that they would send it on, but still not heard anything.
It took 3 weeks to get a No for me. They wouldn't extend my silver card even by a small amount. Ah well, whilst I love this board, i'll not be coming back from KLM then(Gold in 6 months of travel that would have barely got me bronze with BA)
Old May 31, 2017, 11:07 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by highlander100
It took 3 weeks to get a No for me. They wouldn't extend my silver card even by a small amount. Ah well, whilst I love this board, i'll not be coming back from KLM then(Gold in 6 months of travel that would have barely got me bronze with BA)
Do you mind me asking what were your circumstances? Did you send the required birth certificate or similar?

I eventually heard back but only after tweeting BA and sending two DM. Status was changed back to Gold having already soft landed to silver. However I already had 210TPs banked this year with another 13 flights booked with a further 600TPs so easily going to retain silver. Don't know if they looed at this in making the decision.
Old Jun 2, 2017, 3:27 am

Programs: BA Silver, SQ Gold, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, IHG Diamond Amb, ALL Plus Plat
I requested on 4 May to extend my Gold status, expiring in August 2017 by a year. Had less than 500 TP, and given my circumstances, would not realistically have been able to fit in enough trips to hit 1500 by July 8. I have been Gold or Silver since 2001, and Gold for the past 3-4 years.

My daughter was born in Sep 2014, and now stays with me most of the week which does restrict my travel to short 2-3 day trips. I enclosed her birth certificate and mentioned that she took her first flight this April and joined the EC.

Today I received an e-mail that my Gold status has been extended until August 2018, although I cannot see the extension in my online profile yet. Also my daughter was given 1000 Avios. Very nice feature in the programme. I did not have further communications with BA on this since my first e-mail.
Old Jun 2, 2017, 4:16 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Give it at least a day for the profile to change. Seems like they are being very generous given you daughter is nearly 3. And I thought I got lucky to be returned to gold but my daughter was born August 16.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.