Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA American Express 2-4-1 Voucher Discussion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA American Express 2-4-1 Voucher Discussion

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2019, 4:34 am

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
Originally Posted by hingus2000
I've signed up and paid my £3 for exactly this function. However my only comment is it doesn't appear to allow you to search one way? So I have to enter outbound and return dates? Let me know if I'm doing it wrong.
No you’re right, you can only use the function return, which is unfortunate.

What sort of honeymoon do you want, and what’s the date range. You might get some novel ideas. For example NBO is often available F - safari and coast/Zanzibar?
Old Jan 9, 2019, 4:35 am

Agree with all the above. The key to getting the best from a 241 is to immediately grab anything acceptable if optimum is not available, then spend the next months making improvements at £35 a time but safe in the knowledge that you have something. Despite the horrendous fees & taxes, the great thing about redemptions is the flexibliity, and you never know, a great cash sale fare might come along in which case you can cancel snd get your vouchet, svios and cash back for just £35.

Last edited by Bullswood; Jan 9, 2019 at 5:35 am
Old Jan 9, 2019, 4:50 am

I've signed up and paid my £3 for exactly this function. However my only comment is it doesn't appear to allow you to search one way? So I have to enter outbound and return dates? Let me know if I'm doing it wrong.
I don't know about this, sorry. When introduced a few months back it was briefly available for free users, so I played with it then. In my case, I wanted to do an open jaw redemption with two new routes, which were not showing up on BA Redemption Finder at all - so it was more of a casual interest.

I believe the person behind the website is a member here, though I can't remember their username. Perhaps they're able to comment - or it might be worth contacting them?
Old Jan 9, 2019, 4:56 am

Thanks again all.

In terms of honeymoon, probably something hot and coastal but with enough to do to keep us interested for 2-3 weeks. Just returned from Costa Rica and, although I'd return in an instant (if you've not been, go), probably want to do something different this year. Hence I'm leaning east.

Current 'acceptable' option looks like a J redemption to Chennai, from which we can easily connect to Colombo, and then possibly gamble on an open jaw return from Male, but failing that, back from Chennai again.

Quick question - does the tactic of booking an outbound and then later adding a return to the booking for no penalty also apply to open jaw routes?
Old Jan 9, 2019, 4:59 am

Originally Posted by Bullswood
Agree with all the above. The key to getting the best from a 241 is to immediately grab anything acceptable if optimum is not available, then spend the next months making improvements at £35 a time but safe in the knowledge that you have domething. Despite the horrendous fees & taxes, the great thing about redemptions is the flexibliity, and you never know, a great cash sale fare might come slong in which case you can cancel snd get your vouchet, svios and cash back for just £35.
Just a quick query on the process here. Assuming I am booked in CW because there is no F reward availability on my route and dates at T-355 and F availability subsequently opens up nearer the time, is it a case of 'upgrading' the booking by calling BA and paying £35 per pax and having the additional Avios (and £s for the additional 'taxes') ready or is it a 'cancel and rebook', in which case the Avios for the CW booking may not be immediately returned so one would need all the Avios for the new F booking?
Old Jan 9, 2019, 5:15 am

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
Quick question - does the tactic of booking an outbound and then later adding a return to the booking for no penalty also apply to open jaw routes?
Yes.
Originally Posted by grantsteve
Just a quick query on the process here. Assuming I am booked in CW because there is no F reward availability on my route and dates at T-355 and F availability subsequently opens up nearer the time, is it a case of 'upgrading' the booking by calling BA and paying £35 per pax and having the additional Avios (and £s for the additional 'taxes') ready or is it a 'cancel and rebook', in which case the Avios for the CW booking may not be immediately returned so one would need all the Avios for the new F booking?
It's just a change (same as for date or to a different destination in the same band) - you might in fact see all the avios go back into you account and the higher avios charged, but there is no cancellation or enforced pause/wait ... and no cancellation [potential loss] of the other leg of the booking.
grantsteve likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 5:54 am

Programs: BA Blue, EI Silver, Honours Gold, Marriott Gold
You can call to upgrade. Usually it's just additional Avios, the taxes are the same. There are some exceptions, like one-way F from the USA, for example, but that's not possible on a 2-4-1 anyway.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 5:59 am

Similar question to the one above: I've booked Chennai in J outbound on our preferred date. When it is time to ring BA at midnight to try and book our preferred return leg, do I need to have enough Avios to cover 2 reward flights (i.e. 2 x 75,000), or will the agent apply the 2-4-1 such that I only need the single 75,000?

I need to know whether I need to transfer any MR points across.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 6:04 am

Programs: BA, Hilton
Similar question to the one above: I've booked Chennai in J outbound on our preferred date. When it is time to ring BA at midnight to try and book our preferred return leg, do I need to have enough Avios to cover 2 reward flights (i.e. 2 x 75,000), or will the agent apply the 2-4-1 such that I only need the single 75,000?

I need to know whether I need to transfer any MR points across.
They can apply the 2-4-1 if you call, so you should only need the Avios for 1 passenger

I believe there was a fairly recent change where you can now book the return online (needing avios for both passengers) and then call up later to have the 2-4-1 retroactively applied, at which point they then refund 1 set of the Avios, but that will not apply here if you are calling, it is just useful if you want to book online. I've not personally done this I must stress, only read it is possible
Old Jan 9, 2019, 6:06 am

Thanks Bertie - appreciate it.

Infuriating reading that BA won't check bags through onto connecting Sri Lankan flights from Chennai. Apart from that, Chennai appears to be the perfect staging point for Colombo. £150 worth of Indian transit visas to be added to the budget...
Old Jan 9, 2019, 1:35 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by fruitcage
It is possible (though unlikely) that one pair could be upgraded, downgraded, offloaded or re-routed differently to the other pair for 'operational reasons'. You can ask BA to put a note on the bookings - called TCP (To Complete Party) that will note that the two bookings are linked. However, that's a manual note and does not stop them treating the two parties separately if necessary, or if done by some automatic process that doesn't read the notes.

My most immediate concern would be getting seats together (if that's what you want of course). You can look at the seat map as if you were going to pay for seat allocation, and use that to monitor the situation and decide whether you want to pay or wait until T-7 days when your Bronze status will let you both book seats for the two pairs.

Overall, I wouldn't worry too much. I have done bookings in two pairs for similar reasons and never had a problem. So no I don't think you've made a faux pas.
Thanks for the response Fruitcage. I hope to get wife and myself back up to Silver prior to departure (by a couple of months) so we should be able to sort our seats out earlier than the week prior.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 3:25 am

I have done a search and cant see this having been brought up but apologies if it has....im considering taking the recent email offer and getting one of these but in the email it says an assumed credit limit of £1200. If im using the 2-4-1 companion voucher, what if the flights i am buying are more than that and i dont have another Amex to pay the difference on. Will this make it ineligible ?

Also....if im paying say £3000 for flights on BA and want to use £1200 on the amex card and the rest on another card, is this possible to use 2.....and a further complication, is it possible that i could put 1200 on, pay it off immediately, put another 1200 on, pay it off immediately then pay the final 600 again......boosting me towards the £10k ??

Thanks in advance and apologies again if this has been answered.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 3:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by dolfinco
I have done a search and cant see this having been brought up but apologies if it has....im considering taking the recent email offer and getting one of these but in the email it says an assumed credit limit of £1200. If im using the 2-4-1 companion voucher, what if the flights i am buying are more than that and i dont have another Amex to pay the difference on. Will this make it ineligible ?

Also....if im paying say £3000 for flights on BA and want to use £1200 on the amex card and the rest on another card, is this possible to use 2.....and a further complication, is it possible that i could put 1200 on, pay it off immediately, put another 1200 on, pay it off immediately then pay the final 600 again......boosting me towards the £10k ??

Thanks in advance and apologies again if this has been answered.
I guess the easiest way to split card payments is turn flights [cash not reward] into a holiday with a throwaway one night hotel or car hire, then pay deposit, then pay off lumps of the amounts you wish using the different card types you want.
dolfinco likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 4:09 am

Programs: BA Blue, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
I have done a search and cant see this having been brought up but apologies if it has....im considering taking the recent email offer and getting one of these but in the email it says an assumed credit limit of £1200.
I believe £1,200 is the standard credit limit used by credit card companies when illustrating the typical APR. Something to do with financial regulation, I suspect. Amex will determine a personal limit for you based on your financial circumstances. I think It is also possible to put your credit card account into credit by making an excessive debit card payment, but I suspect this may displease Amex, so wouldn't make a habit of it.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 4:10 am

I think the assumed credit limit is for the purposes of the APR illustrations. Presumably some sort of FCA requirement.

I've had a fair few Amex cards over the years and never had one with a credit limit starting as low as £1,200.

EDIT - notakeenflyer beat me to it!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.