Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA American Express 2-4-1 Voucher Discussion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA American Express 2-4-1 Voucher Discussion

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2018, 11:42 am

Programs: BA Executive Club, UA Mileage Plus, bmi Diamond Club
I'm looking at changing a booking made in August this year, LHR-MIA return in January - I just want to move each leg a few days earlier.

There's plenty of availability but on top of the change fee I'm being asked for a further £112 each in taxes. Is it correct that taxes have increased since August? This was booked as a return, not two one - way flights added together, and both the current and proposed dates are off-peak.

​​​​​
​​​
Old Nov 26, 2018, 12:42 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by saint_em
I'm looking at changing a booking made in August this year, LHR-MIA return in January - I just want to move each leg a few days earlier.

There's plenty of availability but on top of the change fee I'm being asked for a further £112 each in taxes. Is it correct that taxes have increased since August? This was booked as a return, not two one - way flights added together, and both the current and proposed dates are off-peak.

​​​​​
​​​
Yes - actually BA have increased their fees for redemptions. Not sure if the actual taxes have changed.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 12:48 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club, UA Mileage Plus, bmi Diamond Club
Originally Posted by fruitcage
Yes - actually BA have increased their fees for redemptions. Not sure if the actual taxes have changed.
OK, thanks - yes, it's the "taxes and fees" that have increased, I haven't looked at the specific elements within that.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 12:54 am

Originally Posted by KARFA

you cant do open jaw rewards online unfortunately so you would have to call to book.
Spent a very pleasant 45 minutes on the phone with Silver Club team and booked this complex itinerary. Well done BAEC! The additional elements of domestic flight add on made it a textbook challenge.
KARFA likes this.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 2:58 am

Hello everyone........first time poster

My question is around having two BA companion vouchers at the same time.....

Both my wife and I are linked to the same Household account.
We have had a major home refurb project going on and have been racking up the spend on each of our BA Premium Credit Cards.
We are on track to hit the £10k spend in a few months
One we do we will each trigger the BA companion voucher.

My question is....if the above happens will we have two BA companion vouchers in our individual/household accounts? Is this allowed?

thanks
Old Nov 28, 2018, 3:03 am

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
Originally Posted by bman0606
Hello everyone........first time poster
thanks
Hi bman0606 - welcome to the BA board.

Yes, the vouchers are attached to the individual accounts, not the household, and even then an individual can earn another 2 vouchers from the same card before the first expires, so there is no limit.

Don't forget you need plenty of avios and travel plans to make good use of the vouchers, so consider delaying the triggering of one or both voucher until needed?
Old Nov 28, 2018, 3:15 am

Thanks for the speedy response Pauldb...

So to summarise, providing I have enough Avios which is the hard part, I could have a total of 4 companion vouchers at any given point...
2 for me
2 for my wife
4 in our household account
Old Nov 28, 2018, 3:23 am

Programs: BA, Hilton

So to summarise, providing I have enough Avios which is the hard part, I could have a total of 4 companion vouchers at any given point...
2 for me
2 for my wife
Welcome bman0606, I'm sure one of the ambassadors will be along shortly to give you the formal introduction. (and also note, you only get 5 posts in your first 24 hours - catches many people out)

Your summary is broadly correct (assuming Premium Plus card as you stated, so 24 months voucher validity) but as pauldb noted, the vouchers attach to the individual and not to the Household account (HHA) so there is no concept of their being "4 vouchers in your HHA", in the sense of their being 4 available for anyone in that HHA to use.

Do have a look at the Wiki post at the start of this thread, it contains a little section on using the vouchers in a HHA that will probably answer your questions.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 3:34 am

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C

2 for me
2 for my wife
In theory (but rather self-defeatingly) you can have 3 each: your upcoming voucher might have an expiry of 15/12/20 and were you to earn your next two more rapidly, you might trigger them on say 1/11/19 and 1/11/20, before using/losing the first.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 3:36 am

Originally Posted by pauldb
In theory (but rather self-defeatingly) you can have 3 each: your upcoming voucher might have an expiry of 15/12/20 and were you to earn your next two more rapidly, you might trigger them on say 1/11/19 and 1/11/20, before using/losing the first.
Great thanks..... 1 each is hard enough!
But at least I now know that its possible to have 3 each.....very unlikely to get that
Old Nov 28, 2018, 9:43 am

Programs: BAEC
Afternoon all, been on the phone twice now to AmEx. I want to close my BA Premium Plus account as I have a voucher and don't want another one. Is this possible without losing the voucher? If it makes any difference I'm looking to open a AmEx gold card. Sorry in advance for the noob question
Old Nov 28, 2018, 9:47 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by CharlesTheTog
Afternoon all, been on the phone twice now to AmEx. I want to close my BA Premium Plus account as I have a voucher and don't want another one. Is this possible without losing the voucher? If it makes any difference I'm looking to open a AmEx gold card. Sorry in advance for the noob question
the wiki says that's fine

Q: Does cancelling my BA American Express card mean I will lose the voucher? Does downgrading my BA American Express Premium Plus card to the Classic card mean I will lose my voucher?
A: No. Contrary to what American Express will tell you, you will keep the voucher if you cancel the card entirely, and similarly your voucher will retain its two year validity if you downgrade from the Premium Plus card to the Classic Card. Remember though that you will need to pay the taxes and fees on an American Express card, so it may be worth asking to downgrade the Premium Plus to the Classic card for this purpose if you don’t hold another Amex.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 12:39 am

Programs: Nothing shiny :-(
Originally Posted by CharlesTheTog
Slightly off topic, but make sure you refer yourself for a gold card before your close the BAPP.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 7:01 am

Programs: BA
I am planning on using my first 2-4-1 this week for flights next November. I live in the UK so tickets become available at midnight GMT. Am i best staying up till this time and booking online? Or does anyone recommend a specific BA office to call which would be open at this time?

This question is in the wiki but the link to a potential answer no longer works as copied below

"Q: As redemption seats are released at midnight GMT, what is the best way to secure them? There is no guarantee they will be available when the BA office opens in the morning!
A: A common practice on the forum is to use this tool and call a BA office that is open at midnight GMT. You will then be able to make the booking without waiting for your local office to open. Depending on timezone, Japan, Hong Kong and even the USA are frequently contacted for this purpose."

thanks
Old Nov 29, 2018, 7:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by ard9719
I am planning on using my first 2-4-1 this week for flights next November. I live in the UK so tickets become available at midnight GMT. Am i best staying up till this time and booking online?
Are you booking the outbound flights only? If so, you might as well book them online.

If you have already booked the outbound half and you're looking to add the inbound half, you can either make a separate booking online for the inbound half (if you have enough Avios to pay the full amount for that initially) and then call BA in the UK in the morning to have the Avios amount adjusted; or you can call one of the other BA offices to add the inbound half to the existing booking: the numbers for the USA, Japan and Hong Kong are routinely mentioned. There is quite a lot of discussion in this thread about which offices to use.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.