Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA American Express 2-4-1 Voucher Discussion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA American Express 2-4-1 Voucher Discussion

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2018, 7:49 am

Originally Posted by fruitcage
2-4-1 redemptions must start in the UK.
Ha... looks like they've covered all the options then! Thanks.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 8:16 am

Originally Posted by RG1X
Ha... looks like they've covered all the options then! Thanks.
Inverness lets you avoid APD.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 8:40 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Just to add 2-4-1s must originate in the UK or JER (Jersey is not part of the UK, they do their own thing!).

Starting from JER or INV will mean you avoid APD, so a saving of ~£150 per adult if in W/J/F. You do not need to return to JER/INV at the end, so JER-LGW/LHR-JFK-LHR is fine. Also both JER and INV are fine for b2bs.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 8:58 am

Handy, thanks.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 12:12 pm

Programs: Varies
Originally Posted by RockyRobin
I was just short of £20k spend on my standard card so upgraded to the Premium card.

The membership cost for the Premium card then triggered the £20k on the no longer used standard card!

i have received my 12 month valid 2-4-1 voucher! Amex have said they will sort it out, I just have a worry this could be all too much for BA IT?

Will my balance of £10k spend on the new card be wasted and I will have to wait a full year to start building for another voucher?

ive been reading about all the boo ha about booking the outbound and nervously waiting to book the inbound with the risk of change fees.

i had a quick look at SFO in Club and found outbound and inbound seats available
I also upgraded to BAPP just before I reached £10k spend, at the beginning of January. I've spoken to Amex who confirmed that my voucher was triggered after the upgrade, and that it was valid for 2 years. However BA emailed me to congratulate me on achieving £20k spend on my blue card, and to say the voucher was valid for 1 year. That's clearly incorrect as I haven't reached £20k spend.

Amex said they would sort it out by writing to BA but nothing has changed on the BA side. I rang the BAEC silver line last week who said it takes 3 working days for these types of issues to be resolved for silver BAEC members. The 3 days are up and there's no change to the expiry date on my Executive Club account page; it still shows 1 year.

I can't see if I've received any extra avios from Amex for the upgrade, as you did; I keep getting an error when I try to look at my earnings:We are unable to complete this request at the present time

Last edited by ttama; Jan 16, 2018 at 12:26 pm
Old Jan 16, 2018, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Likewise hovering for 241 availability to CPT next Dec/Jan in J. It’s bleak out there, but at least we’re flexible on dates.

I’m scanning daily!!
Old Jan 16, 2018, 4:48 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club RIP,BAEC Silver
Well, on hold now to the US blue line, couldn't get through at all last night to try to add on our return from SA. I never previously had a problem getting through, but this year I'm now wondering whether the 241 has any value to a lowly blue?

I chose amend a booking, is this a mistake? I wonder whether new booking calls get priority?

2359 so I think that's it as still in the queue
and now rung off and no seats even showed on line....

Last edited by YorkieFlyer; Jan 16, 2018 at 5:04 pm
Old Jan 17, 2018, 2:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Cool

Originally Posted by T8191
Likewise hovering for 241 availability to CPT next Dec/Jan in J. It’s bleak out there, but at least we’re flexible on dates.

I’m scanning daily!!
Yessssss ... thanks to BA Redemption Finder! ^
Received an automatic email at 0836 advising extra availability showing, ticketed by 0930. That's 137,500 Avios and just £1,005 in T&F.
ttama likes this.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 3:11 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by YorkieFlyer
and now rung off and no seats even showed on line....
There is a delay between seats being available to the call centres and becoming available online - maybe an hour or two (due to caching of data maybe?). On popular routes, seats become available then get booked over the phone within minutes or even seconds and never show as available online.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 3:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by RG1X
General question... is it better to use 2-4-1 on ex-EU flights for lower taxes etc, or doesn't it matter much? I don't really have a problem having a night somewhere for positioning.
Like others have mentioned INV is your friend.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 4:11 am

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
There is a delay between seats being available to the call centres and becoming available online - maybe an hour or two (due to caching of data maybe?). On popular routes, seats become available then get booked over the phone within minutes or even seconds and never show as available online.
Is this really a known fact or conjecture? Personally I've never not seen seats appear online at 12am GMT in maybe 30 attempts, and it would have to be a regular problem before I believed something had changed.

I don't think it's any sort of data caching issue. In my understanding neither the website nor the agents can search more than 355 days out. So until it ticks past midnight, nobody can look at the newly available flights; it may just be that the agent can grab the flights before a ba.com user has clicked search and waited-out the interstitial page.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 4:26 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by pauldb
Is this really a known fact or conjecture? Personally I've never not seen seats appear online at 12am GMT in maybe 30 attempts, and it would have to be a regular problem before I believed something had changed.

I don't think it's any sort of data caching issue. In my understanding neither the website nor the agents can search more than 355 days out. So until it ticks past midnight, nobody can look at the newly available flights; it may just be that the agent can grab the flights before a ba.com user has clicked search and waited-out the interstitial page.
Fair question about the exact details. I have certainly seen no seats available online just after midnight GMT but then some available at 07:00 or so. Of course I can't be certain whether they were the 'midnight' seats or some others that became available later in the night, or maybe the 'midnight' seats were nabbed quickly but then cancelled or released for some reason later.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 6:13 am

Fair question about the exact details. I have certainly seen no seats available online just after midnight GMT but then some available at 07:00 or so. Of course I can't be certain whether they were the 'midnight' seats or some others that became available later in the night, or maybe the 'midnight' seats were nabbed quickly but then cancelled or released for some reason later.
Well, I've never had a problem seeing availability at Midnight before, provided an agent hasn't nabbed them at that moment, indeed my fast trigger finger got our outbound LHR-CPT seats online.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 6:15 am

Originally Posted by T8191
Yessssss ... thanks to BA Redemption Finder! ^
Received an automatic email at 0836 advising extra availability showing, ticketed by 0930. That's 137,500 Avios and just £1,005 in T&F.
Well done! That is unusual for extra availability to be added for peak periods so soon , perhaps a cancellation?
Old Jan 17, 2018, 7:52 am

Programs: KLM, BA Silver, Etihad
Originally Posted by ttama
I also upgraded to BAPP just before I reached £10k spend, at the beginning of January. I've spoken to Amex who confirmed that my voucher was triggered after the upgrade, and that it was valid for 2 years. However BA emailed me to congratulate me on achieving £20k spend on my blue card, and to say the voucher was valid for 1 year. That's clearly incorrect as I haven't reached £20k spend.

Amex said they would sort it out by writing to BA but nothing has changed on the BA side. I rang the BAEC silver line last week who said it takes 3 working days for these types of issues to be resolved for silver BAEC members. The 3 days are up and there's no change to the expiry date on my Executive Club account page; it still shows 1 year.

I can't see if I've received any extra avios from Amex for the upgrade, as you did; I keep getting an error when I try to look at my earnings:We are unable to complete this request at the present time
if I remember correctly Amex told me it would take 7-10 days, it's been around that long now and there is no change on my BAEC page to the expiry date.

Maybe be I need to add the BA 3 days to the Amex days then think of another number and add that on too.

i wonder if they will extend the start date accordingly.....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.