Community
Wiki Posts
Search

T5 First Wing - picture review

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2017, 12:12 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Originally Posted by LondonAndy
Looks good, and will certainly save a bit of time. It's going to be a pain for those travelling as a group who don't have enough Gold cards to get into the lounge....
AIUI, no more than is currently, if you don't have enough Gold Cards to access the lounge at the moment, but have enough Silver and Gold to use Fast Track security, you would continue to use Fast Track security. You can't use the CCR entrance currently in any case, and so you would be access the lounges in the normal way. I appreciate there is some disappointment amongst silver card holders that they can't use this wing, but that is in keeping with their status that allows them use of Business Class facilities (i.e. Fast Track security and use of the Business Class lounges).

\any news on whether there is a work-around for GGL with more than 1 guest for getting through security?

For connecting pax, it does only add 2 mins on to your route to CCR access (not 4-5 mins given connecting Fast Track doesn't deposit you next to the white door in any case- so it is effectively the time take to walk the distance from teh white doors to the GF entrance plus escalators down and back up). In any case, the white door was not designed for connecting pax either or else Fast Track security would also be next to it, however, it has provided a useful short-cut for connecting pax.

I don't think we can say that BA has messed up the desks at this stage, when these were only trial days. It may be that there is a short period of these desks before the nice ones arrive (and if they are the same of the SIN lounge then they are nice). I don't see the height of the GF wall as an issue either, isn't that just a question of personal taste rather than functionality.

Overall, a good job IMHO.

Last edited by navylad; Mar 30, 2017 at 12:30 am
Old Mar 30, 2017, 12:13 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
Originally Posted by happytravelskh
have been a little confused. are travelers connecting from europe to a first class flight to the US also going through this wing? just trying to figure out what to expect in about a month. thanks.
No, connecting passengers do not go through this wing. It's for people starting the trip in LHR.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 12:18 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond, Mucci de buveur de gin
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
Is that Theresa May in the first pic?
Absolutely not! Have you seen those heels?! Our Theresa would never be seen dead in them - she's more a kitten heel sorta gal.....
Old Mar 30, 2017, 12:27 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Le Club Accor Platinum etc etc
Passed through this morning but no trial today. Oh well, normal security was pretty quiet (quicker than good old Fast Track, hardly a surprise), so got through fairly smoothly anyway.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 12:35 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Lefly
No, connecting passengers do not go through this wing. It's for people starting the trip in LHR.
They can do if they go landside which I quite often do when connecting.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 12:39 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
Originally Posted by KARFA
They can do if they go landside which I quite often do when connecting.
I knew that I should have specified that part
Old Mar 30, 2017, 12:41 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Lefly
I knew that I should have specified that part
Lol. Just to add I personally would not go landside only so I could use it, but I do sometimes go landside if the UK/DUB connections immigration queue is long when connecting to a DOM/DUB flight, or when arriving from DUB and connecting on to any other T5 flight - so I may use the wing when do that now.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 1:01 am

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott GFL
I will have time to go landside on my trip 26May, but as I fly DFW-LHR BA F and connect to LHR-CPH BA CW will they let me use TFW? I have a Cabana booked, so I would assume so, but can anyone confirm?
Old Mar 30, 2017, 1:21 am
Moderator, Emirates

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Platinum, KQ Asante Gold, Shebamiles Blue, Emirates Blue
Originally Posted by tomparskate
Thank you, I have a picture of those BA desks getting clogged and large queues forming? Would you agree or do you think it'll be a quick scan and no such issue will arise?
I would doubt very much that I will be using it any time in the near future but am looking forward to the rapid expansion of the DYKWIA thread

S
Old Mar 30, 2017, 1:21 am

Programs: BA Gold,Amex Centurion,Marriott LT Plat Prem Elite +AMBASS,Hilton Diamond,Priority Club Plat,VS Gold
How will this work if your traveling with more than one guest as the rules would surely state your only allowed one guest. Previously if traveling with a family in first with you could all checkin at the First Area?
Old Mar 30, 2017, 1:22 am

Programs: BA (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I've been told that the intended route is from First check-in, through the First Wing security, through the First lounge, past Elemis and on to CCR. If you consider the start and end points, that is about the same distance as now, they are both approximate semi circles of roughly equal length, going in opposite directions, but leading to the same place. However there is the prospect of a faster security process. Some debate is on regarding whether the existing direct door by South Fast Track security will remain or not, I'm hearing different things from different staff members, so we will just have to wait and see on that one.
Ah, but the key words here were 'if you consider the start and end points'. At present, a First Class passenger or CCR Cardholder arriving at T5 on the HEX, say, would only go anywhere near the new facility (assuming it's next to First check-in) if they had an urgent need for either the physical exercise of a pointless route march or the ego-stroking of using a check-in desk designated as First Class. Sane individuals either use Club World or similar desks that are close to South Security Fast Track or cattle class desks next to North Security Fast Track. In either case the new facility is going to be at best irrelevant (if the existing entrance to the CCR next to South Security stays in use) or will represent an unnecessary extension of the route to the lounge (if that door is closed).

I usually tend to err on the side of 'BA apologist' rather than 'whinges about everything', but if the existing doorway into the CCR is closed then the introduction of "The First Wing" will represent a big improvement for users of the First lounge (aka Gold cardholders) at the expense of CCR cardholders and actual First Class passengers. And since I am usually in the latter not the former category, I would, of course, be upset!
Old Mar 30, 2017, 1:46 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Originally Posted by CCayley
Ah, but the key words here were 'if you consider the start and end points'. At present, a First Class passenger or CCR Cardholder arriving at T5 on the HEX, say, would only go anywhere near the new facility (assuming it's next to First check-in) if they had an urgent need for either the physical exercise of a pointless route march or the ego-stroking of using a check-in desk designated as First Class. Sane individuals either use Club World or similar desks that are close to South Security Fast Track or cattle class desks next to North Security Fast Track. In either case the new facility is going to be at best irrelevant (if the existing entrance to the CCR next to South Security stays in use) or will represent an unnecessary extension of the route to the lounge (if that door is closed).

I usually tend to err on the side of 'BA apologist' rather than 'whinges about everything', but if the existing doorway into the CCR is closed then the introduction of "The First Wing" will represent a big improvement for users of the First lounge (aka Gold cardholders) at the expense of CCR cardholders and actual First Class passengers. And since I am usually in the latter not the former category, I would, of course, be upset!
I wouldn't say a 30 second slow walk ccounts as additional physical exercise, nor something to get upset about.

i suspect they will keep the white door open, monitor its use, if plenary of pax continue to use it either to avoid a 30 second walk, because they can't guest in 2 pax through security (I'm thinking CCR travelling in F) and. T connecting pax, it will stay open.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 1:46 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, MILLEMIGLIA Freccia Alata, M&M Blue
Looks really nice.
It should definitely be an improvement for Silvers also. Opening those two lanes for Gold and First Class passenger should decrease the number of persons using North and South Fast Track.
As noted, it will be quite far for persons arriving on the HEx but for Uber and taxis passengers it should become a really pleasant experience.

For connecting passengers with an EU passport it gives another reason to go landisde and stop using Fast Track transit security which I think is the worst Fast Track ever in Heathrow.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 1:56 am

Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
Thanks chris1979!

Due to my sudden interest in visiting Estonia, I am not going to be in T5 for a couple of weeks but look forward to trying it during April.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 1:58 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by navylad
I wouldn't say a 30 second slow walk ccounts as additional physical exercise, nor something to get upset about.
Perhaps, but it is putting your first class passengers down near the bottom of the list now and a lot of people don't fly F to be second to someone flying on a £40 HBO fare to say AMS.

Assuming the CCR door is closed off, then other than the CCR, that's another F benefit eroded.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.