Community
Wiki Posts
Search

T5 First Wing - picture review

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2017, 2:22 am

Programs: Professional Studies
Originally Posted by chris1979

wow thank you so much. It looks very nice and well-designed.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 3:52 am

Programs: BA GOLD/OWE BA Amex Prem Plus Tesco Airmiles Qantas Bronze IHG SPG Eithad
Originally Posted by petradavis
wow thank you so much. It looks very nice and well-designed.
thanks also look nice, will be interested to see photos after wing is open^
Old Mar 30, 2017, 4:01 am

Programs: BA Exec Club Gold
Originally Posted by sebanto2001
Looks really nice.
It should definitely be an improvement for Silvers also. Opening those two lanes for Gold and First Class passenger should decrease the number of persons using North and South Fast Track.
As noted, it will be quite far for persons arriving on the HEx but for Uber and taxis passengers it should become a really pleasant experience.

For connecting passengers with an EU passport it gives another reason to go landisde and stop using Fast Track transit security which I think is the worst Fast Track ever in Heathrow.

Could you, or anyone else, advise on the distance from the underground terminal to FW check-in? My wife is not disabled but does struggle with excessive walking. Thanks in advance.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 4:05 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Originally Posted by dmsmith70
Could you, or anyone else, advise on the distance from the underground terminal to FW check-in? My wife is not disabled but does struggle with excessive walking. Thanks in advance.
Im afraid the distance is from one end to the other, but if she needs disabled assistance, she can use the designated check in desk, and if required. Be transported to the lounge which may or may not use the first Wong entrance.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 4:09 am

Programs: Mucci (Scirocco Sash), BAEC Gold, IHG Diamond Ambassador
It’s a good trek, but not difficult – you can get the lifts from the Underground platforms (not sure if you need to take more than one lift, I usually get the Heathrow Express and you can get the lift straight up from there) and then at worst you will need to walk the length of the terminal on the departures side to take you to First check in which is at the end of the building furthest from public transport.

No steps or anything like that required, maybe a 5 minute walk from when you arrive on the departures level if walking at a (very) slow pace? Plus side is that you are then in Galleries First (if that is your destination) so no further walking required, until you need to leave for your flight.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 4:13 am

Programs: Seigneur des Tarifs Utils First Class Mucci with Honours :) - BA GGL / CCR
Must have missed this yesterday when coming through, Looks smart though and saves that walk through security downstairs back track and then up again to get to GF.

Although had I have done this I wouldnt have seen the medical drama unfold at South Security yesterday
Old Mar 30, 2017, 4:20 am

Programs: BA Exec Club Gold
Originally Posted by daftboy
It’s a good trek, but not difficult – you can get the lifts from the Underground platforms (not sure if you need to take more than one lift, I usually get the Heathrow Express and you can get the lift straight up from there) and then at worst you will need to walk the length of the terminal on the departures side to take you to First check in which is at the end of the building furthest from public transport.

No steps or anything like that required, maybe a 5 minute walk from when you arrive on the departures level if walking at a (very) slow pace? Plus side is that you are then in Galleries First (if that is your destination) so no further walking required, until you need to leave for your flight.

Really helpful - much appreciated. I think we'll be fine. Looking forward to the experience when we fly out on 21st April.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 4:33 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by dmsmith70
Sit towards the very front of the tube train, then take the lifts from there to Departures, don't use the escalators. That distance is quite short, about 50 metres I would guess.

When you get to Departures, you can just use the first available check-in desk, you don't have to go to CW or First if you don't want to, and off peak there are usually desks that have no queues. North Fast Track is then 75 metres from the tube lift arrival, and there are many check-in desks over that distance.

If you want to use the First Wing, then from the tube lift door to the First Wing is 300 metres, which is just about the longest distance you have to face in T5, it's more compact that many airports, including LGW, STN and LTN.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 4:43 am

One disadvantage of closing millionaires' door is its use to exit the lounge area.

I guess most First passengers are heading for the transit so they're better off using the main lounge escalators.

On the other hand for CCR to gates A1 to A12, leaving via the door always felt quicker than going the other way. The walk from the main lounge escalators to A5 feels very long and seems to be upstream against the flow of most other passengers heading south.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 4:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by MarkFlies
One disadvantage of closing millionaires' door is its use to exit the lounge area.

I guess most First passengers are heading for the transit so they're better off using the main lounge escalators.

On the other hand for CCR to gates A1 to A12, leaving via the door always felt quicker than going the other way. The walk from the main lounge escalators to A5 feels very long and seems to be upstream against the flow of most other passengers heading south.
No I agree for getting to some upper level shops the loss of millionaires door will be a pain. Won't be the end of the world but still.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 4:56 am

Programs: BA LtG, Flying Blue Plat
I got persuaded to use it on checking my bags in at F on Tuesday, nothing more to add to the above pics, however, my criticism of the system was proven correct in the short time I was there - it's possibly something that wasn't visible to the tens of staff that were about either.

There was a lovely couple in front of me, they were travelling in F for a special trip, and understandably they were very excited. On reaching the Flounge they were blown away, and I sort of held back to see if they were going to do what I thought... and they did - sat down in Flounge instead of going to the CCR! I told a member of staff this at the CCR and they went and collected them, but it's something that the staff need to keep an eye on (or is it maybe something that the staff want?!) either way, it is unfair of these passengers not to experience all of the bells and whistles that come with their ticket.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 5:09 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by ShuttleRunner
I got persuaded to use it on checking my bags in at F on Tuesday, nothing more to add to the above pics, however, my criticism of the system was proven correct in the short time I was there - it's possibly something that wasn't visible to the tens of staff that were about either.

There was a lovely couple in front of me, they were travelling in F for a special trip, and understandably they were very excited. On reaching the Flounge they were blown away, and I sort of held back to see if they were going to do what I thought... and they did - sat down in Flounge instead of going to the CCR! I told a member of staff this at the CCR and they went and collected them, but it's something that the staff need to keep an eye on (or is it maybe something that the staff want?!) either way, it is unfair of these passengers not to experience all of the bells and whistles that come with their ticket.
That's one aspect of why I've been wondering about BA and the future of the CCR.
I'm sure a lot of people, who don't know otherwise, will settle themselves in the Flounge. Sure, some here will love less people in the CCR and that will make it more exclusive, quieter, easier to get served etc., but at the end of the day, some could be led to believe that this is method in this madness.
Hoping it doesn't come to "our customer feedback showed that our first class customers preferred the sanctity of our first class lounge".
Old Mar 30, 2017, 5:11 am

Programs: BAEC
Are they 100% going to close the door into the CCR from fast track south security?
Old Mar 30, 2017, 5:17 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by xenole
That's one aspect of why I've been wondering about BA and the future of the CCR.
I'm sure a lot of people, who don't know otherwise, will settle themselves in the Flounge. Sure, some here will love less people in the CCR and that will make it more exclusive, quieter, easier to get served etc., but at the end of the day, some could be led to believe that this is method in this madness.
Hoping it doesn't come to "our customer feedback showed that our first class customers preferred the sanctity of our first class lounge".
Hi xenole,

if they closed the CCR that would probably please most people on FT anyway; as most always moan about it and say how sub standard and rubbish it is compared to other flagship lounges so I presume most people wont be bothered if it stayed or went would they not?
Old Mar 30, 2017, 5:48 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by Padmeister
Hi xenole,

if they closed the CCR that would probably please most people on FT anyway; as most always moan about it and say how sub standard and rubbish it is compared to other flagship lounges so I presume most people wont be bothered if it stayed or went would they not?

Whilst all that is true, can you imagine the furore on here should that great little haven be closed? It doesn't bear thinking about

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.