Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

A Few Takeaways From Last Night's [27 March 2017] GGL Event

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A Few Takeaways From Last Night's [27 March 2017] GGL Event

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2017, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Originally Posted by hugolover
When some of us met Alexandre de Juniac he and his senior management team told us they had never travelled on other carriers at all. Perhaps now that AF P is considered the best F class in Europe they tried a few others since then. Come to think of it, I don't recall Carsten Spohr having any serious knowledge of the products outside LH group and whether he (and others) flew them. I remember Oliver Wagner telling me he hadn't tried BA CW (which was at the time significantly better than LH C).

So its really not unusual. It would require real money to try other carriers, who would sign off on that?
I went to an Air France event in Washington DC a few years ago (my OH was Flying Blue Platinum) and met the then CEO of AF/KL. At the time AF/KL had a really crappy business class offering (think it was still slanted seats) and I asked him if they knew their current C class was way behind the competition such as BA et. al. and what they planned to do about it. He didn't seem to care and knew that from the main AF/KL hubs they have a pretty captive audience. Given BA's current situation and plans going forward I expect the same blase attitude is prevalent at Waterside.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by TabTraveller
What on earth makes you think they don't?

That a senior exec allegedly hasn't flown on competitors, accordingly solely to a blogger who may well be motivated by boosting traffic to his website, doesn't equate to BA not keeping track of competitors.
That would be the people who went last night who confirmed what I said from the conversations they had.

You make a circular argument though, because if I didn't have a blog I wouldn't meet IAG execs and therefore couldn't tell you what they tell me .....
Old Mar 28, 2017, 10:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MPH1980
So I think they know they need to invest in the seat, I suspect the plan is still the same (launch it with the A350) and they simply don't want to give the game away. Because, as we've seen, even if you talk to a group of 30 "important" customers - stuff makes it onto the internet.
New CW soft product (not the new seat) is launched next Wednesday.

Last edited by Raffles; Mar 30, 2017 at 2:03 am
Old Mar 28, 2017, 10:25 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Originally Posted by EuropeToAsia
Sounds plausible to me :-)

​​​​​​​Even if BA wanted to fix boarding, they'd still have to face the #1 issue. AA, for example, now has countless boarding groups and in my experience meticulously calls them in order. But the path to the gate is inevitably physically blocked by crowds of huffing and puffing DYKWIAs who have placed themselves right in front of the gate 45 mins ago and are loudly complaining how stupid this boarding process is and that it is them who should be boarding first.
No financial incentive, let the passengers kill each other boarding! haha
By the way, I was amazed at the difference of boarding a BA A380 at LHR, and boarding one in LAX. The difference was night and day and I dont think I need to tell you which one was far superior!

Originally Posted by Raffles
Bless 'em, the youngsters. You'll learn :-)

Here is a good test. Ask when they last flew another airline in J or F. The most senior IAG person I know (senior enough to get his photo in the accounts) has never flown Qatar for example. They genuinely have no practical experience of what is happening elsewhere.
They probably have a clause in the contract; if you are found out to fly QR, your contract will be terminated immediately! Jokes aside, they should have a pool of senior management hired specifically to compare BA versus other airlines. Like fly BA once a month, otherwise all the competition.

I really feel that BA feel they have no direct competition overall. They will say that VS network is too small overall, their FFP is rubbish, and basically no other UK airline flies out of LHR!
So I feel these events are mainly to allow staff to enjoy a few drinks at Fortnum and Mason on the company account and to make some GGL's feel 'important.'
Old Mar 28, 2017, 11:21 am

Programs: BA (GGL G4L), AA (Gold), HH (Diamond); Marriott (Gold)
Honestly I think there are enough high quality trip reports out there to keep a competitive intelligence team busy full time. If you know your product is below the standards of the competition in many ways, you don't really need to spend money to confirm that unless you plan to spend money to make improvements.

For the most part I think BA know the biggest complaints that they are prepared to address (direct aisle access for all CW seats, IFE available at all times, better meals and bedding, a bit more storage space), and those that they will not.

I was talking years ago with a very high member of the management team from a US carrier who had never flown international business or first class on any carrier including his own. It made it interesting for him to try to evaluate the ideal new seat for their business class. FWIW, they chose well in my opinion. The point is that smart people can do good research based on information available, so I would undervalue compared to others the importance of trying out the competition.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 11:28 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by dylanks
Honestly I think there are enough high quality trip reports out there to keep a competitive intelligence team busy full time. If you know your product is below the standards of the competition in many ways, you don't really need to spend money to confirm that unless you plan to spend money to make improvements.

For the most part I think BA know the biggest complaints that they are prepared to address (direct aisle access for all CW seats, IFE available at all times, better meals and bedding, a bit more storage space), and those that they will not.

I was talking years ago with a very high member of the management team from a US carrier who had never flown international business or first class on any carrier including his own. It made it interesting for him to try to evaluate the ideal new seat for their business class. FWIW, they chose well in my opinion. The point is that smart people can do good research based on information available, so I would undervalue compared to others the importance of trying out the competition.
Well if he was in that kind of state I really don't know how you can give any credence to what he was saying
Old Mar 28, 2017, 12:46 pm

If you think about it, saying they don't fly with competitors is far easier. Else the conversation goes like this:

GGL: Have you flown QR
BA: Yes
GGL: So what did you think of it?
BA: It's great but we're more profitable and because we have a virtual monopoly out of Heathrow you suckers will have to continue to change in Doha at 6am or midnight until the third runway gets built and we actually have to pull our fingers out
Old Mar 29, 2017, 2:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm not entirely sure why there isn't a 'third runway' discount built into the BA share price. BA has already been told it isn't getting many slots, which is why Willie turned against the idea. Admittedly existing bilateral treaties stop Virgin gaining much long haul but plenty of foreign airlines will take the chance to pick up their full treaty quota.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 3:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm not entirely sure why there isn't a 'third runway' discount built into the BA share price. BA has already been told it isn't getting many slots, which is why Willie turned against the idea.
That was pre-Brexit, when EU rules required priority to be given to new entrants. With Brexit, the UK would be free to change the system of slot allocation. This, however, depends of the extent to which the UK wants to "take back control" or, on the other hand, negotiate to participate in the Common European Aviation Area or some other form of close cooperation in this field.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 4:36 am

Programs: Meh
BA is, and always has been, reliant on LHR as their base. My opinion, as others have said, is they will continue to cut costs and count on their monopolistic position at LHR. With Brexit in full swing this will only strengthen this strategy.

I understand this strategy, but it is very short term looking.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 3:50 pm

Programs: BA (GGL G4L), AA (Gold), HH (Diamond); Marriott (Gold)
Originally Posted by TabTraveller
Well if he was in that kind of state I really don't know how you can give any credence to what he was saying
lol, thanks iPhone autocorrect!
Old Mar 30, 2017, 2:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NickB
That was pre-Brexit, when EU rules required priority to be given to new entrants. With Brexit, the UK would be free to change the system of slot allocation. This, however, depends of the extent to which the UK wants to "take back control" or, on the other hand, negotiate to participate in the Common European Aviation Area or some other form of close cooperation in this field.
Couldn't it get a lot worse for BA though? What if the EU insisted, for example, on equal access to Heathrow by country? So if BA had 10 daily departures to Austria, Austrian or other LCC carriers operating from Austria must have 10 slots?

As BA does not own its slots it couldn't stop HAL taking a chunk back to redistribute.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 2:11 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Couldn't it get a lot worse for BA though? What if the EU insisted, for example, on equal access to Heathrow by country? So if BA had 10 daily departures to Austria, Austrian or other LCC carriers operating from Austria must have 10 slots?

As BA does not own its slots it couldn't stop HAL taking a chunk back to redistribute.
Realistically, that is a very unlikely outcome.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 2:15 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by navylad
Realistically, that is a very unlikely outcome.
So was the result of the Brexit referendum and the US Presidential Election!
Old Mar 30, 2017, 2:16 am

Virgin has recently raised finance using 'their' LHR slots as collateral. If they don't own them and HAL could just take them away, how does that work?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.