Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

A Few Takeaways From Last Night's [27 March 2017] GGL Event

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A Few Takeaways From Last Night's [27 March 2017] GGL Event

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2017, 12:58 am

Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
I did manage to attend one of the GGL events before Christmas at Fortnum and Mason, as a guest of a GGLer.

There seemed to be quite a bit of 'robust' feedback provided to Troy and his fellow senior managers, across a range of subjects, many touched above.

We were asked to put our comments in writing and send to a staffer, which my friend and I did.

(Perhaps why I was not asked again!)
Old Mar 28, 2017, 1:02 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
Originally Posted by TravellerFrequently
I did manage to attend one of the GGL events before Christmas at Fortnum and Mason, as a guest of a GGLer.

There seemed to be quite a bit of 'robust' feedback provided to Troy and his fellow senior managers, across a range of subjects, many touched above.

We were asked to put our comments in writing and send to a staffer, which my friend and I did.

(Perhaps why I was not asked again!)
i never get invited to these but perhaps that's for the best given my Twitter feedback on some recent changes. I should probably change my addresss to London so they don't auto-exclude me
Old Mar 28, 2017, 1:08 am

Originally Posted by sts603
(1) They wish they could make the investment in product faster

(2) They realize that the fleet seems old vs. the US and ME carriers but it will take time

(3) There is no decision if/when to update the CW seat and it is clear they were trying to spin the focus to soft product improvements (and lounge improvements)

(4) They are proud of the LGW and BOS openings are pumped up renovations coming to JFK and SFO. Not sure if it was previously announced but the JFK Gold lounge will get pre-flight dining. A rather angry man piped up about lounges in JNB, DEL and the rest of the world. Troy said they did have a five year plan to go through every lounge but was relatively clear that high-revenue, high-frequency destinations were a higher priority.

(5) There was much said by the audience about the mess of the current boarding process. It appears to be something they are looking at - especially whether procedures are followed. That said there are "pros/cons" to U.S.-style zone boarding so that remained under consideration.

(6) The audience (which are generally not frequent Y flyers) didn't attack the fundamental principle of M&S but they did attack the fact nothing was free for GGL and how awful it was to send CSDs to do greetings and offer to help and then deny a request for water. Comparison to AA were pointed out.

(7) The soft product investment in CW is coming which will include new food presentation, duvet/pillow, and an attempt at 5 uninterrupted hours of sleep (Vs 2.5 hours now on JFK-LHR flights).
So everything is coming, under review, will be gone through, will take time etc. Usual BABS routine.

Sorry to see the dear old lady in such a bad way. The likes of Colin Marshall and Lord King must be despairing in their graves.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 1:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
I attended my first GGL event at Fortnum and Mason last night.

I think they were genuinely interested in feedback
Bless 'em, the youngsters. You'll learn :-)

Here is a good test. Ask when they last flew another airline in J or F. The most senior IAG person I know (senior enough to get his photo in the accounts) has never flown Qatar for example. They genuinely have no practical experience of what is happening elsewhere.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 1:26 am

Originally Posted by Raffles

Here is a good test. Ask when they last flew another airline in J or F. The most senior IAG person I know (senior enough to get his photo in the accounts) has never flown Qatar for example. They genuinely have no idea what is happening elsewhere.
I did ask one of them exactly this and he said 'never' and expressed frustration before I could that the budget isn't there to let them.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 1:32 am
Suspended

Last edited by simonrp84; Jul 1, 2017 at 6:52 am
Old Mar 28, 2017, 1:43 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by MPH1980
I did ask one of them exactly this and he said 'never' and expressed frustration before I could that the budget isn't there to let them.
That just sad and show how passionate about their job... What if one would use it's own money for a holiday flight? Business class one way economy return so you would know what others are offering and doing. Wouldn't cost that much.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 1:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by Krisz
That just sad and show how passionate about their job... What if one would use it's own money for a holiday flight? Business class one way economy return so you would know what others are offering and doing. Wouldn't cost that much.
Given they are staff and can fly BA free on standby or on Hotline pre-booked tickets for big discounts (and don't earn much anyway) I don't see that happening.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 1:50 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by TravellerFrequently
Regretfully the OH and I (both GGL/CCR) are unable to attend the next two (or the recent one) events as we have not been invited!
Me neither... haven't now been invited to anything for over 18 months I'm sure I didn't misbehave or anything last time....
Old Mar 28, 2017, 1:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Raffles

Here is a good test. Ask when they last flew another airline in J or F. The most senior IAG person I know (senior enough to get his photo in the accounts) has never flown Qatar for example. They genuinely have no practical experience of what is happening elsewhere.
Even IB would count.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 2:29 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum, HH Diamond, Hertz PC,
Originally Posted by hugolover
Even IB would count.
Surely AC could get them some tickets on Vueling so they can appreciate his vision of "New BA" ....
Old Mar 28, 2017, 2:31 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
... (3) There is no decision if/when to update the CW seat and it is clear they were trying to spin the focus to soft product improvements (and lounge improvements)...
This appears a little confusing. In the invitation I received to the big launch event on Wednesday week, it states "We will be flying on a VIP charter from London Gatwick to London Heathrow where we will unveil our new First and Club lounges at Gatwick’s South Terminal, reveal the future of Club World and officially open The First Wing in our home at Terminal 5."

I appreciate this could be BA speak, but what appears to have been said at the GGL event sounds a little off-kilter. Unless the 'future of Club World' hasn't been decided and is a reference the soft product? I suppose we'll know for sure next week.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 2:40 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Future of club world = no change to the seat.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 2:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
Unless the 'future of Club World' [...] is a reference the soft product?
I certainly wouldn't exclude that possibility.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 2:52 am

Programs: BA Gold; Turkish Miles&SmilesElite;; Freccia Alata Plus; Amex Platinum; SPG Gold; Marriott Gold Elit
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
This appears a little confusing. In the invitation I received to the big launch event on Wednesday week, it states "We will be flying on a VIP charter from London Gatwick to London Heathrow where we will unveil our new First and Club lounges at Gatwick’s South Terminal, reveal the future of Club World and officially open The First Wing in our home at Terminal 5."

I appreciate this could be BA speak, but what appears to have been said at the GGL event sounds a little off-kilter. Unless the 'future of Club World' hasn't been decided and is a reference the soft product? I suppose we'll know for sure next week.
Presumably this refers to the £400m investment in Club World discussed on page 7 in the November 2016 Capital Markets presentation:
"Radical improvement in quality and presentation
• Increase choice through pre-order"

Reading the slides again, there is no explicit mention of improving Club Europe catering, simply the generic "Customer investment across all cabins" (p6) with a sub head of "Short-haul catering quality/choice upgraded in partnership with M&S". Have the premium-looking paninis been sourced from M&S?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.