Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ex-EU: Denied boarding at start of B2B

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2017, 5:14 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by woglet86

- Original lounge agent was put in a difficult position - can’t blame him for forgetting the biometrics requirement
Yes. Yes, you can. Okay, you made a mistake, but you took prompt and reasonable action to correct it with the airline. The airline's agent told you it was sorted, but made a stupid mistake. You shouldn't have to second guess or prompt him to do his job properly.

Of course we're all human and these things happen, but that doesn't absolve him of responsibility.
Old Mar 10, 2017, 5:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by :D!
I still don't understand why biometrics are required to go to DUB if passengers voluntarily present their (British or Irish) passport or some other document which guarantees entry to Ireland.
A bit of speculation here, but I think it may be less to do with whether entry to Ireland is guaranteed and more to do with the passenger's current immigration status in the UK. The biometrics step is intended to ensure that the passenger is already "inside the UK" for immigration purposes before they board a flight whose premise is that all passengers on board are already "inside" (regardless of whether it's then going to a UK or a ROI destination).

Otherwise the passengers on board the LHR-DUB could include someone who holds a British passport, who has arrived at LHR from outside the CTA, and who has not been admitted to the UK by an immigration official. On arrival at DUB, they would not be examined by the ROI because the ROI assumes that everyone on the flight was already "inside the UK" and the ROI then doesn't do an additional check of those holding British passports. The result would be that the passenger would have entered the ROI from outside the CTA without actually being examined or admitted by the immigration force of either country. Having an airline/airport staff member look at your passport en route isn't quite the same thing.

All of this makes more sense for domestic flights, but as in an earlier thread: the CTA represents a great deal of pragmatic compromise, but you have to do all the bits of the pragmatic compromise to make it work.
Old Mar 10, 2017, 5:29 am

How would this even work?

"If you take one of our flights, you must not board the same aircraft within 1 hour to fly the same route in reverse (except where you have stayed overnight), even if you hold another ticket that we don't know about"

As with all ex-EUs and positionings, the OP held two different contracts for LHR-DUB and DUB-DXB.
Well, it's not my job help BA out with suggestions - and to reiterate I really don't want them to do it. However I do think there are reasonable measures that BA could try at the very least to discourage, if not fully prohibit, B2B turnarounds.
Old Mar 10, 2017, 5:37 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by Ldnn1
Well, it's not my job help BA out with suggestions - and to reiterate I really don't want them to do it. However I do think there are reasonable measures that BA could try at the very least to discourage, if not fully prohibit, B2B turnarounds.
I don't see that they would particularly want to.

At the moment, there is added risk and inconvenience in taking an eu-EU flight with a carrier other than BA, in that a same day positioning flight needs to allow plenty of padding to allow for delays. There is also likely to be considerably less sympathy and recourse if something goes wrong.

If BA assumes the same risk level through artificially manipulating boarding procedures, the incentive to use them becomes considerably less and they lose that business to QR/CX/AY etc.
Old Mar 10, 2017, 5:53 am

Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
I don't see that they would particularly want to.

At the moment, there is added risk and inconvenience in taking an eu-EU flight with a carrier other than BA, in that a same day positioning flight needs to allow plenty of padding to allow for delays. There is also likely to be considerably less sympathy and recourse if something goes wrong.

If BA assumes the same risk level through artificially manipulating boarding procedures, the incentive to use them becomes considerably less and they lose that business to QR/CX/AY etc.
Yes I think the evidence suggests that BA have not been overly concerned about B2Bs so far, perhaps for the reasons you suggest.

My point was that incidents like OPs - which may well get reported up the line - could encourage BA to rethink this.

Again I’m not criticising OP as I’m sure any of us here could have made the error, I’m just noting that the more hassle this practice causes for BA the likelier it is to get reviewed.
Old Mar 10, 2017, 5:58 am

Programs: Seigneur des Tarifs Utils First Class Mucci with Honours :) - BA GGL / CCR
Yes I think the evidence suggests that BA have not been overly concerned about B2Bs so far, perhaps for the reasons you suggest.

My point was that incidents like OPs - which may well get reported up the line - could encourage BA to rethink this.

Again I’m not criticising OP as I’m sure any of us here could have made the error, I’m just noting that the more hassle this practice causes for BA the likelier it is to get reviewed.
Agreed however I would argue that some people if it weren't for ExEU wouldn't be flying BA at all so would lose them business anyway on the positioning flight and the LH.
Old Mar 10, 2017, 6:02 am

Programs: BA Gold
Thankfully (?) worked out okay in the end - but must have been a frantic few hours sorting it all out.

Personally, I did my first ex-EU last year (from ARN, back to CPH) - but not as immediate B2B - took the opportunity (with Mrs CKBA) to have a couple days of holiday in Stockholm and Copenhagen - very nice... .
Old Mar 10, 2017, 6:29 am

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
I still don't understand why biometrics are required to go to DUB if passengers voluntarily present their (British or Irish) passport or some other document which guarantees entry to Ireland.
The requirement for a photo of passenger to be stored related to a Domestic T5 Boarding pass is primarily because both Domestic and International flights depart from T5 with no separation of International/Domestic passengers

Thus possibility exists for passengers arriving on International flights to
i)pretend next continuation flight is another international Flight transitting via "International Connections Lane"
(will need show BA ticket eg LHR-AMS)
ii)thus avoid Immigration/passport control for entry to UK
iii)Catch Domestic T5 BA flight to eg Manchester
iv)On arrival at Manchester exit passenger through domestic flight arrival channels, which means no passport/immigration check
v)Net Result :- Someone enters UK without gong trough Immigration
vi)Prevention T5 Domestic Flights :- Photo Biometric linked to BP, checked by Airport Security for a)photo linked to BP b)photo matches traveller

o International T5 Transit Process (arriving on international flight)...
eg HKG-LHR / LHR-AMS
... arriving passenger goes through T5 transfer area, selecting International Flight Lane.
The passenger shows continuing international Boarding Pass / E-ticket
BUT Passenger does not go through immigration desks/show passport because they are in transit and will not be entering UK/Common-Area

o Domestic T5 Transit (arriving on International flight)..
eg HKG-LHR / LHR-MAN
... arriving passenger goes through the main T5 transfer area, selecting Domestic Flight Lane.
Firstly the passenger shows continuing Domestic Boarding Pass / E-ticket checked by BA staff as valid
(BA ladies create a Boarding Pass if eticket shown )
Secondly passenger now goes through passport check/immigration as they will fly domestic to next airport in UK/Common-Area where they will not be immigration checked on arriving at and leaving the airport
Thirdly the Biometric Info is Linked to BPass during this process, it is actually the passengers photo that is associated/linked with BPass for a later security preboarding check at the Domestic Gate.

Regards OP,
in theory as OPs BPass LHR-DUB lacked biometrics (linked photo) , then OP could have arrived Internationally from say HongKong, transitted T5 through "Interbational Connection Lane" avoiding passport control, so if allowed to fly Domestic would be in UK with out being registered as entering UK/Scotland/Dublin etc
Old Mar 10, 2017, 6:49 am

Programs: BA Gold; LH FTL; IHG Diamond; Marriott Gold; ALL Gold
Maybe I'm being slow here, but I still don't understand how taking a photograph helps. In the above example, if the passenger entered T5 departures using their LHR-AMS boarding pass, then their LHR-MAN ticket would miss conformance and they'd be denied boarding. Is the idea that if they somehow make it onto the MAN flight, they can email the photo to someone in Manchester to apprehend him as he steps off the plane?
Old Mar 10, 2017, 7:02 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Deltus
Maybe I'm being slow here, but I still don't understand how taking a photograph helps. In the above example, if the passenger entered T5 departures using their LHR-AMS boarding pass, then their LHR-MAN ticket would miss conformance and they'd be denied boarding. Is the idea that if they somehow make it onto the MAN flight, they can email the photo to someone in Manchester to apprehend him as he steps off the plane?
You are looking at this the wrong way around. The biometrics (it's not just a photo) check that whoever gets on a domestic or Irish flight did so either by coming from landside, and therefore already in the UK, or through the UK Border at Flight Connections. This is in the context that T5 has a mix of travellers airside. No biometric means they could only have connected airside by bypassing the Border. Or they swapped boarding passes, as ostensibly happened to the OP here, though in his case accidentally - some people try this with illegal intent. In both cases they should not be allowed to continue their journey without either the clearance of the Chief Immigration Officer or delegate, or can completely prove they really did enter from the UK and the technology failed on them. The last point (technical failure) can be delegated to supervisory HAL staff, the first point cannot be delegated beyond the Border Force.
Old Mar 10, 2017, 7:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.

Why are you focusing on back-to-backs here?

The amount of possible hassle for BA is the same if the passenger decides to take the LHR-EU flight one rotation earlier than the true back-to-back (which also - probably unknown to most passengers - tends to increase rather than decrease the risk and therefore the potential hassle). Given the amount of time taken to sort out the OP's problem, the backup possibility of then doing the true back-to-back may not be practical (even if there were space). Indeed, the error which the OP made is also possible even if you plan to take the first flight of the day out to the EU point, and spending a full day at the EU point is another perfectly viable plan for starting an ex-EU.

Moreover, the questions that I've been asked by crew when I've done back-to-backs (as well as some posts here) suggest that it is not uncommon for passengers to do this for non-fare saving reasons: Sometimes it is literally to hand over documents to someone at the destination airport and to fly straight back. Would BA really want to prevent this type of travel?
Old Mar 10, 2017, 7:22 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
In both cases they should not be allowed to continue their journey without either the clearance of the Chief Immigration Officer or delegate, or can completely prove they really did enter from the UK and the technology failed on them. The last point (technical failure) can be delegated to supervisory HAL staff, the first point cannot be delegated beyond the Border Force.
OK, I get it now, it isn't about whether they are in the UK legally or not but about demonstrating that they were already in the UK before boarding the flight.

Regarding the point about "technical failure": at the time biometrics failed on me at LGW-JER, I wasn't a British citizen yet, but I wasn't asked about my nationality - which fits in with the fact that they only sought to establish whether I was in the UK before going airside.

However, I was not able to completely prove I really did enter from the UK.

I offered my driving licence plus a bus ticket from the day before, which I could easily have received from a nefarious BP swapper. I didn't bring my passport.
Old Mar 10, 2017, 7:34 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
OK, I get it now, it isn't about whether they are in the UK legally or not but about demonstrating that they were already in the UK before boarding the flight.

Regarding the point about "technical failure": at the time biometrics failed on me at LGW-JER, I wasn't a British citizen yet, but I wasn't asked about my nationality - which fits in with the fact that they only sought to establish whether I was in the UK before going airside.

However, I was not able to completely prove I really did enter from the UK.

I offered my driving licence plus a bus ticket from the day before, which I could easily have received from a nefarious BP swapper. I didn't bring my passport.
Presumably they just checked the cctv for security to see that you entered earlier and therefore came from landside and must have already been in the UK.
Old Mar 10, 2017, 7:37 am

Programs: BA GGL, UA Plat, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by woglet86

Random observations

- I was an idiot to use the wrong BP; 100% my mistake

- Original lounge agent was put in a difficult position - can’t blame him for forgetting the biometrics requirement

- Priority boarding (A4 bus gate) was a total shambles; perhaps if it had been maintained, we’d have got the the gate check early enough to get photos taken; HAL agent was summoned but it was too late

- After boarding was complete, we overhead the gate agents decide on what seemed to be a bogus reason for the delay (late arrival of an incoming long haul); in reality I think they were waiting for a passenger who it transpired had already got on the plane; generally lots of confusion

- a couple of BA employees suggesting disapproval of ex-EU; loudly referring to “one of those cheap tickets”, telling us we’d done “cross border ticketing” - maybe, but irrelevant IMO

- we were lucky we spotted the original lounge agent to confirm our story; while I believe we had the moral high ground, I don’t think we were getting on that flight without a reprice. His face when his boss said "you forgot biometrics" made me feel really sorry for him!

- Can’t be sure but I think being Gold helped with the general level of service

- The most knowledgeable agent who grasped the situation the quickest was the senior gate agent, but she also seemed the least empowered

- I didn’t call the Gold line at any point, but assume airport staff are always the best bet at this point? (I know the real answer is post on here for the best advice!)

- Good job I knew what conformance was - thanks Flyertalk! Otherwise I might not have tried to fix it, and therefore absolutely no leg to stand on

- Ultimately I’m happy with the outcome and wouldn't make a claim for IDB. Believe security issues are an exception anyway? However, it only presented itself because the BA employee told us we were good to go, when we weren’t. Had he told us he couldn't fix it, we could have gone back landside and sorted it ourselves.
This really annoys me tbh - those members of staff need to told this sort of commentary is unacceptable:

Firstly, whatever one thinks of the EU, under European law BA are currently legally obliged not to deny sale of exEU tickets to residents of EU purely on the basis of their address, no matter which Member State they live in.

Secondly, it is BA's commercial decision to offer these fees in the Irish, Danish, Swedish etc. markets. They could either set them at levels comparable to exLON, or withdraw... but whining about Brits buying them is just pathetic tbh.

Thirdly, can we start a campaign against "Fake Views" (aka "BA staff making it up as they go along") ? It really gets my goat
Old Mar 10, 2017, 9:38 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
yep the bit about BA staff moaning about "cheap tickets" ex-EU is laughable - it is their own fare structure, and their own decision to allow B2B (which they really have no real grounds to prevent)

plus how do they know whether it's even a real B2B or a genuine arrangement - if I have to go to the US, I might deliberately schedule an overdue trip to DUB or CPH to see friends or whatever to get a better fare; if, as I do, I take my wife & kid over to see family Germany whilst I am going away on business...that "looks" like a B2B (LHR-HAM on the evening of Day 1, HAM-LHR-US on the morning of Day 2; reversed at the end of the trip) - but that's a totally real trip - I would be FURIOUS if I got stick from BA staff for buying a "cheap ticket" on that basis...it's a legitimate ticket, from your own pricing structure...and by the way it's still a €1,900 fare which ain't cheap however you look at it...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.