FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Ex-EU: Denied boarding at start of B2B
View Single Post
Old Mar 10, 2017, 7:37 am
Fitch

Programs: BA GGL, UA Plat, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by woglet86

Random observations

- I was an idiot to use the wrong BP; 100% my mistake

- Original lounge agent was put in a difficult position - can’t blame him for forgetting the biometrics requirement

- Priority boarding (A4 bus gate) was a total shambles; perhaps if it had been maintained, we’d have got the the gate check early enough to get photos taken; HAL agent was summoned but it was too late

- After boarding was complete, we overhead the gate agents decide on what seemed to be a bogus reason for the delay (late arrival of an incoming long haul); in reality I think they were waiting for a passenger who it transpired had already got on the plane; generally lots of confusion

- a couple of BA employees suggesting disapproval of ex-EU; loudly referring to “one of those cheap tickets”, telling us we’d done “cross border ticketing” - maybe, but irrelevant IMO

- we were lucky we spotted the original lounge agent to confirm our story; while I believe we had the moral high ground, I don’t think we were getting on that flight without a reprice. His face when his boss said "you forgot biometrics" made me feel really sorry for him!

- Can’t be sure but I think being Gold helped with the general level of service

- The most knowledgeable agent who grasped the situation the quickest was the senior gate agent, but she also seemed the least empowered

- I didn’t call the Gold line at any point, but assume airport staff are always the best bet at this point? (I know the real answer is post on here for the best advice!)

- Good job I knew what conformance was - thanks Flyertalk! Otherwise I might not have tried to fix it, and therefore absolutely no leg to stand on

- Ultimately I’m happy with the outcome and wouldn't make a claim for IDB. Believe security issues are an exception anyway? However, it only presented itself because the BA employee told us we were good to go, when we weren’t. Had he told us he couldn't fix it, we could have gone back landside and sorted it ourselves.
This really annoys me tbh - those members of staff need to told this sort of commentary is unacceptable:

Firstly, whatever one thinks of the EU, under European law BA are currently legally obliged not to deny sale of exEU tickets to residents of EU purely on the basis of their address, no matter which Member State they live in.

Secondly, it is BA's commercial decision to offer these fees in the Irish, Danish, Swedish etc. markets. They could either set them at levels comparable to exLON, or withdraw... but whining about Brits buying them is just pathetic tbh.

Thirdly, can we start a campaign against "Fake Views" (aka "BA staff making it up as they go along") ? It really gets my goat