FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Buy on board: Experiences and reactions from BA's shorthaul economy service (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1814441-buy-board-experiences-reactions-bas-shorthaul-economy-service.html)

markle May 3, 2017 3:42 am

deleted

ahmetdouas May 3, 2017 3:57 am

Originally Posted by markle (Post 28260456)
I've repeatedly found that more substantial food (e.g. sandwiches, 'salad') are short-stocked and running out mid-way through the cabin. Worst example has been a single solitary Foccacia being loaded on a 767 from MAD with ~200 pax in Y.

I can forgive 'teething problems', but we're three months in and this excuse is no longer valid.

Complained to BA and received this relatively pathetic response; interestingly they are claiming that "we can't carry full stock because we don't have the space", which seems to match with my experience that BA seems to consistently short-stock bulkier items, whereas there's always enough minis of spirits. Though I do find it hard to believe that there isn't more space, given that there used to be sufficient space for a full meal service.

LOL i am sure a 767 can fit more than 1 sandwich in the galleys = )
Nice try BA.

BA6948 May 3, 2017 4:18 am

Originally Posted by markle (Post 28260456)
I've repeatedly found that more substantial food (e.g. sandwiches, 'salad') are short-stocked and running out mid-way through the cabin. Worst example has been a single solitary Foccacia being loaded on a 767 from MAD with ~200 pax in Y.

I can forgive 'teething problems', but we're three months in and this excuse is no longer valid.

Complained to BA and received this relatively pathetic response; interestingly they are claiming that "we can't carry full stock because we don't have the space", which seems to match with my experience that BA seems to consistently short-stock bulkier items, whereas there's always enough minis of spirits. Though I do find it hard to believe that there isn't more space, given that there used to be sufficient space for a full meal service.

I guess the teething problems are here to stay. Space issues combined with a more demanding passengers will always lead to short supplied and unavailability of options especially on longer routes. God knows what will happen this summer with all those longer routes to Greece and Spain. It is going to be a nightmare.

BA6948 May 3, 2017 4:32 am

Some gems from airlinequality.com. It is only a matter of weeks before BA falls to an excellent score of 4/10 (now 5/10):

Flew London Heathrow to Vienna. Wow, who is running this company? In over 30 years of flying I've never seen an airline deteriorate so quickly as British Airways has recently. I can accept that I now have to pay extra if I want to check in a bag, but to sit on a 'full-service' airline for over 2 hours without so much as a complimentary cup of water, really? Did I miss something, have they lowered their prices? No, they just want suckers like me to pay more for something that was (and still is at their prices) included in the fare. BA now offers all food and drinks for purchase but the service was so slow and by the time we'd almost reached our destination there was a bit of an argument with a passenger who'd ordered a hot sandwich, but because the payment machine wasn't working, they took the food back to the galley and left the passenger without. The atmosphere was pretty grim, it's been a few years since I've experienced such a miserable economy flight. That was probably Ryanair but they've really raised their game. British Airways was a great carrier, even a year or so back, but now it's really overpriced rubbish, and they don't make me feel welcome anymore. There are so many other options in Europe.

London Heathrow to Edinburgh. Almost hilarious had I not just been handed my debit card back when the plane was advised to put their tray tables back in the upright position. I was in row 12 the first 7 were business class. I was the last to be offered food or a drink. I had the sandwich and wine when I got home. It would have been easier to buy the sandwich (bigger choice at M&S) at Edinburgh airport. The budget airlines could show British Airways how to do a proper operation. The remaining 10 or so rows go no apology and nothing to eat or drink. BA could not even be the acronym for budget airline. Absolutely useless.

miamiflyer8 May 3, 2017 4:33 am

Originally Posted by ahmetdouas (Post 28260494)
LOL i am sure a 767 can fit more than 1 sandwich in the galleys = )
Nice try BA.

I'm sure you can fit 20 sandwiches in a single plastic tray inside the carts, and there are plenty of galleys on a 767 so there is definitely not a shortage of space to cater.

miamiflyer8 May 3, 2017 4:41 am

What BA should improve in BoB:

- Accept cash in multiple currencies or at least EUR and GBP.
- Load enough food.
- Introduce combo deals such as a sandwich with drink and chips for £6.50
- Reduce the price for hot drinks to £1. The current £2.30 is obscene.
- Take orders and payment during taxi and then deliver the items without carts.
- Provide a free snack and drink for Gold/Emerald

Now I obviously would want the old system back but since Cruz doesn't care about this kind of customer feedback, at least offer soft drinks free.

ahmetdouas May 3, 2017 4:42 am

Originally Posted by miamiflyer8 (Post 28260568)
I'm sure you can fit 20 sandwiches in a single plastic tray inside the carts, and there are plenty of galleys on a 767 so there is definitely not a shortage of space to cater.

I wonder why whenever I fly FR, I never have this issue with food shortages. In fact last time, all I did was press the call button and ordered my lasagne, which was served to me about 5 mins after ordering (they heat it up in the galley).

Maybe FR knows something BA doesn't?
Maybe FR passengers don't expect anything so don't want to order as much as BA passengers?
Mind you, many people on that flight ATH-STN FR around 06:30 were ordering coffee!

florens May 3, 2017 4:43 am

Originally Posted by miamiflyer8 (Post 28260583)

This could be difficult, especially at smaller airports with short taxi times and also because the crew might be busy securing the cabin.

ahmetdouas May 3, 2017 4:45 am

Originally Posted by florens (Post 28260588)
This could be difficult, especially at smaller airports with short taxi times and also because the crew might be busy securing the cabin.

How about IFE at every seat back and ordering from the IFE? You can order the second you take your seats and first come first serve basis. Lol that would be a good reason for boarding early.

Although putting IFE on any plane would cost BA too much money I guess = )

miamiflyer8 May 3, 2017 4:47 am

Originally Posted by florens (Post 28260588)

That's a good point.

But airports like LHR, taxiing can take ages, and if they have three bacon rolls loaded and they sell all three then it shouldn't take very long to complete.

miamiflyer8 May 3, 2017 4:48 am

Originally Posted by ahmetdouas (Post 28260593)
How about IFE at every seat back and ordering from the IFE? You can order the second you take your seats and first come first serve basis. Lol that would be a good reason for boarding early.

Although putting IFE on any plane would cost BA too much money I guess = )

Virgin America and Norwegian Long Haul have this so not a bad idea.

PUCCI GALORE May 3, 2017 5:05 am

- Load enough food.

Now I obviously would want the old system back but since Cruz doesn't care about this kind of customer feedback, at least offer soft drinks free.

I agree wholeheartedly about the drinks - they should not be charged for - they never ever were even in the old days when alcohol was payable in Y.

They will never allow the crew to take cash - the CE bar would end up being "sold" in Y as it used to be years ago. Sad, but true.

miamiflyer8 May 3, 2017 5:10 am

Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE (Post 28260649)
they never ever were even in the old days when alcohol was payable in Y.

When did they charge for alcohol in Y?

Looks like they were smart enough to reverse course when people disliked it.

BA6948 May 3, 2017 5:11 am

- Load enough food.

- Accept cash in multiple currencies or at least EUR and GBP: not going to happen as apparently CC are released 15 min earlier, so less CC costs for BA;
- Load enough food: It is going to be difficult as some galley space is used for Club Europe. So that's less space for BoB
- Reduce the price for hot drinks to £1. The current £2.30 is obscene: it is obscene to charge for hot drinks.
- Take orders and payment during taxi and then deliver the items without carts: tricky of POS machine doesn't work or credit card payment is rejected. Look at my earlier post where a passenger on a flight from Vienna got his warm sandwich before being taken away from him as the POS machine didn't work. It triggered an argument and bad atmosphere on the flight.

Ultimately, BoB has changed the whole BA experience in Y. It has transformed it into a soulless service and in some cases triggered anger and frustration from passengers. Do you want to fly with such an airline?

miamiflyer8 May 3, 2017 5:25 am

Originally Posted by BA6948 (Post 28260665)
It triggered an argument and bad atmosphere on the flight.

Lesson is to bite into the food the second you are handed it :p

Originally Posted by BA6948 (Post 28260665)
Ultimately, BoB has changed the whole BA experience in Y. It has transformed it into a soulless service and in some cases triggered anger and frustration from passengers. Do you want to fly with such an airline?

I would rather fly LH.