FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Buy on board: Experiences and reactions from BA's shorthaul economy service (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1814441-buy-board-experiences-reactions-bas-shorthaul-economy-service.html)

fiona Apr 18, 2017 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by mrow (Post 28196978)
From what I can see in Turboprince's photo there was £23.30 worth of stock loaded on that flight.

I could understand this if Turboprince was flying XXX-LHR as there could have been strong sales on the ex-LHR leg, but the sector was LHR-FCO so you'd expect the trolley to be pretty full!

With loadings like that, I can't help think that BA are viewing BOB as a way to reduce costs by removing the free catering as opposed to viewing BOB as a way to increase revenue.

But are Heathrow bound journeys just expected to have little on? It would be better if they just served drinks and told their passengers to sort their own food out.

mrow Apr 18, 2017 2:14 pm

Originally Posted by fiona (Post 28197080)
But are Heathrow bound journeys just expected to have little on? It would be better if they just served drinks and told their passengers to sort their own food out.

Perhaps, yes.

I think it was mentioned in this thread that BOB is return catered. If that is the case, if an aircraft leaves LON with little to no BOB stock then there will be no replenishment at the outstation, so the opportunity for sales on both the LON-XXX and XXX-LON sectors will be restricted by the loading of BOB on the LON-XXX sector.

On that basis I struggle to see the thinking here, unless BA aren't looking to increase BOB sales but are just looking at BOB as a way to remove the complimentary catering option.

BA6948 Apr 18, 2017 2:22 pm

From what I can see in Turboprince's photo there was £23.30 worth of stock loaded on that flight.

I could understand this if Turboprince was flying XXX-LHR as there could have been strong sales on the ex-LHR leg, but the sector was LHR-FCO so you'd expect the trolley to be pretty full!

With loadings like that, I can't help think that BA are viewing BOB as a way to reduce costs by removing the free catering as opposed to viewing BOB as a way to increase revenue.

In the last 24 hours there are no less than a dozen angry tweets about food shortage or no food at all on some BA services. A passenger has even reported receiving an SMS from BA 2h35 before the flight advising her to buy food because there was none on the plane. What a joke of an airline this turns to be.

Have flown Air Malta to a Malta this week end and we were offered a sandwich and a bottle of water. On Sunday we got a free hot chocolate because it was Easter. A surprise and great move. Tomorrow it is Air France. Haven't flown BA since January for my first and last BoB and the flying experience with other airlines is just miles ahead of BA.

Raffles Apr 18, 2017 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by seattle29 (Post 28196051)
Flying WAW-LHR yesterday, got a chance to speak to one of the cabin crew whilst there was a short delay disembarking. He said they'd turned down around 12 passengers as they wanted to use cash (some had cards but didn't want to use them, and just passed on the food they would have otherwise bought).

Assuming each would have spent £4, that's almost £50 in lost revenue.

All because BA insists on a clumsy, slow, card-only payment system, and refuses to take cash like nearly every other airline.

You don't get it. As there is no cash now taken (for duty free too) cabin crew are released IIRC 15 minutes earlier as there is no money to be signed off. Saves a lot more than £50.

simons1 Apr 18, 2017 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by bhbloke (Post 28195684)
Very amusing CC announcement on my return from Jersey on Sunday, welcoming us onboard this flying Marks & Spencer :D

Then proceeded to tell us all as we'd landed that the First Officer had just been voted dishiest BA staff member and would be off on a photoshoot to model M&S swimming trunks in the summer. The poor FO was at the door cringing as we disembarked, but the ladies were paying him particular attention.

All sounds a bit Ryanair really.

simons1 Apr 18, 2017 2:43 pm

Originally Posted by Turboprince (Post 28195961)
I did a LHR-FCO on a BA A320 with a load of 130 pax this Easter weekend.
Shortly after departure I went to the back to use the lav and struck up a conversation with the cabin crew in the back.
I casually asked if they had enough M&S sandwiches on board, even though I had no intention to purchase any.

She laughed, opened the only trolley they had... and pulled out her entire stock (excl. water and hot beverages)

"That's what we got today!"

Looks like someone in Waterside forgot their "Let's-think-ahead" cap, before the Easter holidays hit.

Upon disembarking, I looked back and she held up 3 fingers, as in she sold three items. Wow. Well done, Mr. Alex "Wreck-BA" Cruz.

As Captain Alex said to the blogger "I don't recognise what you are saying".

woglet86 Apr 18, 2017 3:06 pm

I flew Barcelona to LHR this week, was in a 9 row CE cabin. Two crew members working in Club, and a third came from ET to help once the economy service was completed. Which maybe bodes well or poorly for the BoB service, I'm not sure how it went.

I had a chat with the CSM who said "there's commission but it's not really worth it", along with her colleague bemoaning the lack of decent training. They both expressed sympathy for their Eurofleet colleagues for having to deal with it on every flight.

srbrenna Apr 19, 2017 1:55 am

I have just experienced my first BoB on this morning's early flight to Geneva. The flight wasn't full at all (I don't see how densification would make a difference in this case) and the service was quick. The chap in front ordered a bacon roll and they ran back to put it in the oven. It arrived about five minutes later. I had a cup of tea with Mrs srbrenna. It was a cup of hot water which I assembled myself. I paid with Avios and noted that my details were added manually.

We we are getting about 3,000 Avios for the flight so the 600 isn't too bad. I have plenty of Avios anyway.

Still, it lacks a bit of class.

seattle29 Apr 19, 2017 2:36 am

Originally Posted by Raffles (Post 28197131)
You don't get it. As there is no cash now taken (for duty free too) cabin crew are released IIRC 15 minutes earlier as there is no money to be signed off. Saves a lot more than £50.

It might save BA money, but it doesn't make customers happy.

mrow Apr 19, 2017 2:59 am

Originally Posted by seattle29 (Post 28199200)
It might save BA money, but it doesn't make customers happy.

Therein lies the rub. It depends what BA's aspirations are for BOB (I mean the real ones, not the marketing blurb).

If BOB is BA's way to increase the overall service expectation of passengers then it seems from many accounts that it isn't delivering this as effectively as it should be.

If, on the other hand, BOB is BA's plan to remove complimentary catering and reduce the overall service expectation from passengers then I'd argue that it is doing this very effectively.

ahmetdouas Apr 19, 2017 3:06 am

Originally Posted by srbrenna (Post 28199127)
I have just experienced my first BoB on this morning's early flight to Geneva. The flight wasn't full at all (I don't see how densification would make a difference in this case) and the service was quick. The chap in front ordered a bacon roll and they ran back to put it in the oven. It arrived about five minutes later. I had a cup of tea with Mrs srbrenna. It was a cup of hot water which I assembled myself. I paid with Avios and noted that my details were added manually.

We we are getting about 3,000 Avios for the flight so the 600 isn't too bad. I have plenty of Avios anyway.

Still, it lacks a bit of class.

Class?
British Airways has become a 'labour party' airline under Alex Cruz!
No class here!

DYKWIA Apr 19, 2017 3:51 am

I assume this particular plane had done LHR-XXX-LHR prior to the LHR-FCO flight. And no extra food was loaded after it returned from XXX.

Do BA generally load more stock at LHR during the day, or is a plane catered for the whole day in the morning?

bwaflyer Apr 19, 2017 4:44 am

Originally Posted by DYKWIA (Post 28199373)
I assume this particular plane had done LHR-XXX-LHR prior to the LHR-FCO flight. And no extra food was loaded after it returned from XXX.

Do BA generally load more stock at LHR during the day, or is a plane catered for the whole day in the morning?

The aircraft are recatered each time they return to London. Apparently today LGW is short of bottled water. Every day we Crew dread coming into work as we don't know what we're going to have to apologise for.

BahrainLad Apr 19, 2017 5:47 am

But..but...what do you mean it's still a clusterfkkk...I thought Alex had told the bloggers it was all OK now, and customers were so delighted they didn't have to choose between chicken or beef anymore?

The man is either incompetent or a liar.

DYKWIA Apr 19, 2017 5:50 am

Originally Posted by bwaflyer (Post 28199479)
The aircraft are recatered each time they return to London. Apparently today LGW is short of bottled water. Every day we Crew dread coming into work as we don't know what we're going to have to apologise for.

Thanks! Doesn't sound like a good place to be at the moment.