Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Buy on board: Experiences and reactions from BA's shorthaul economy service

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 11, 2017, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: KARFA
This thread focuses on experiences and reactions for the implementation of buy on board for shorthaul, mainly led by impressions taken from flying on board British Airways' shorthaul services.

An information thread exists for your questions, particularly if they are on factual matters, here:
Buy on board: Information guide for BA shorthaul economy services

If you have an opinion about the concept of Buy on Board, the right thread is:
Buy on board: Implemented on BA short haul - opinions on the concept

Photos of current BoB menu (September 2018) post #125 in information thread
Print Wikipost

Buy on board: Experiences and reactions from BA's shorthaul economy service

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2017, 12:33 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by Southlondonbonviveur
I get the impression that Germany and Austria are still more cash based, but that the Benelux are more card orientated these days. Indeed, I went to a restaurant/bar in Amsterdam which claimed to only accept card payments, which I have never come across anywhere else.
I work in Eindhoven, and there are quite a few places that don't take cash.

There are also places that only take Dutch debit cards, so no Mastercard / Visa / Amex. I'm actually posting this from one such establishment.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 1:01 pm

Programs: BA Gold, several other less interesting cards...
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
You can also use the BA App to pay by Avios.
Sort of. On both of my efforts the barcode wouldn't scan and they had to input my EC number manually. On the last flight the Avios weren't removed from my account for nearly two months!

Last edited by srbrenna; Aug 11, 2017 at 2:35 pm
Old Aug 11, 2017, 1:03 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Android and Apple Pay work in the usual way on board - along with Contactless, it's by far the quickest way to pay. You can also use the BA App to pay by Avios.
Thanks cws. I'm assuming you can't actually use the app onboard but simply offer your BA Exec Club account number for avios payment.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 1:09 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by smokie36
Thanks cws. I'm assuming you can't actually use the app onboard but simply offer your BA Exec Club account number for avios payment.
So you can load your app but obviously any functionality requiring internet connection won't work. You basically open your "my accounts" tab with the barcode on and pass it to the cc. Alternatively just pass the cc your BAEC card if you are paying with avios.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 5:14 pm

Programs: British Airways, Virgin Atlantic, Emirates, Thai
Originally Posted by Southlondonbonviveur
I get the impression that Germany and Austria are still more cash based, but that the Benelux are more card orientated these days. Indeed, I went to a restaurant/bar in Amsterdam which claimed to only accept card payments, which I have never come across anywhere else.

To my mind BA would sell more products if they allowed cash payments, not least because I imagine buying F&B would be a good way for people to get rid of small amounts of foreign currency they don't want. But I guess that BA deems the costs and complexities of counting/managing such monies to outweigh the benefits of extra revenue. Plus, it's not as if they are doing a very good job of managing BOB at the moment, with some flights not getting any service at all beyond row 6, so increasing demand might cause the whole thing to go into meltdown.
I assume BOB is cashless because BA outsourced the management of it to Tourvest. Card payments go direct to Tourvest and BA don't have to cash up every flight. The cashless thing doesn't bother me, though it does slow up the service.

My first experience of BOB was on a round trip to LED in May. On the way out I was sitting in the middle of Y so was nearly last to get served. For the return trip, with only a Starbucks in the departure lounge, plus a delay, meant many more people wanted food and the service was much slower. They only just finished serving before TOD which, on a three hour flight, is a very long time to serve food. By the time the trolley got to my row they had run out of virtually everything worth eating so I declined their attempts to sell something.

This extended meal service means the crew have no time for duty free sales, just a quick rush through the cabin asking if anyone wants anything. There were no takers. Instead of being a relaxed and pleasant experience it's rushed and the crew are strecthed to the limit.

More recently I did a round trip to EDI. Service was quite rapid because very few people bothered to buy. We just had some wine. On the return there was a two hour delay so we all had a £5 voucher to spend in the terminal. Few people were still hungry when th eplane finally arrived. It was an A319 with one trolley for Y so the FA charged with serving the aft section had to run up and down the aisle to the trolley that was serving from the front. Madness. Lucky for her there weren't many takers.

I think the lack of sales and terrible feedback will kill BOB, at least in it's present form. If you go on the customer services page to complain there is a dedicated link for comments about BOB. As others have said EZY and (shock horror) RYR know how to do low cost professionally. BA are amateur at it. EZY is my first choice for European flights since BOB and "densification" arrived. BA only if I have to.

The old ET food service had become abysmal, but at least everyone got a drink and some kind of snack. Now a few people get some nice food they have to pay for, the rest get nothing.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 5:49 pm

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
Exclamation

Originally Posted by simprove
I assume BOB is cashless because BA outsourced the management of it to Tourvest. Card payments go direct to Tourvest and BA don't have to cash up every flight. The cashless thing doesn't bother me, though it does slow up the service.

My first experience of BOB was on a round trip to LED in May. On the way out I was sitting in the middle of Y so was nearly last to get served. For the return trip, with only a Starbucks in the departure lounge, plus a delay, meant many more people wanted food and the service was much slower. They only just finished serving before TOD which, on a three hour flight, is a very long time to serve food. By the time the trolley got to my row they had run out of virtually everything worth eating so I declined their attempts to sell something.

This extended meal service means the crew have no time for duty free sales, just a quick rush through the cabin asking if anyone wants anything. There were no takers. Instead of being a relaxed and pleasant experience it's rushed and the crew are strecthed to the limit.

More recently I did a round trip to EDI. Service was quite rapid because very few people bothered to buy. We just had some wine. On the return there was a two hour delay so we all had a £5 voucher to spend in the terminal. Few people were still hungry when th eplane finally arrived. It was an A319 with one trolley for Y so the FA charged with serving the aft section had to run up and down the aisle to the trolley that was serving from the front. Madness. Lucky for her there weren't many takers.

I think the lack of sales and terrible feedback will kill BOB, at least in it's present form. If you go on the customer services page to complain there is a dedicated link for comments about BOB. As others have said EZY and (shock horror) RYR know how to do low cost professionally. BA are amateur at it. EZY is my first choice for European flights since BOB and "densification" arrived. BA only if I have to.

The old ET food service had become abysmal, but at least everyone got a drink and some kind of snack. Now a few people get some nice food they have to pay for, the rest get nothing.
Nice first post- hope you're right re BoB. Not sure about the few getting "nice food"- on most medium routes the food is very paltry.
Old Aug 19, 2017, 3:20 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
London Heathrow - Basel tonight (flight time scheduled from 2015-2255 local). A319. ET started at row 4, 94 pax in ET. Sat in Exit row.

Uptake:
Row 7: 1 coke
Row 8: 1 coke
Row 9: 2 cognacs, 1 still water
Row 19: 2 purchases

Not sure about further back... Service was completed before we were above Paris though.

Saw some passengers who brought their own food and drinks.

During descent the CSM (?) came to see us and thanked us for our business and loyality. He then gave us a bottle of Highland Spring as a thank you. Very nice gesture! Has this happened to others before? Is this a sign of more liberty given by BA to their crews regarding status holders treatment?
Old Aug 19, 2017, 4:11 pm

Originally Posted by florens
London Heathrow - Basel tonight (flight time scheduled from 2015-2255 local). A319. ET started at row 4, 94 pax in ET. Sat in Exit row.

Uptake:
Row 7: 1 coke
Row 8: 1 coke
Row 9: 2 cognacs, 1 still water
Row 19: 2 purchases

Not sure about further back... Service was completed before we were above Paris though.

Saw some passengers who brought their own food and drinks.

During descent the CSM (?) came to see us and thanked us for our business and loyality. He then gave us a bottle of Highland Spring as a thank you. Very nice gesture! Has this happened to others before? Is this a sign of more liberty given by BA to their crews regarding status holders treatment?
On short haul, the only small bottles of Highland Spring (other than the ones in the BOB trolleys for sale), are loaded for the crew. Hopefully the CSM gave you bottles from their allocation, otherwise the crew in the morning will be overjoyed that their water has been given away.
florens likes this.
Old Aug 20, 2017, 9:55 am

Originally Posted by chongcao
I guess that is because Europeans in general is still a large 'cash-only' society. British travellers have a higher percentage in card ownership compared to European public.

I expect some day in 3-5 years Iberia will start the road towards electronic payment only too. Just a matter of time.

In another hand, BA eliminated many problems associated with cash including dual currency (do you use £ or € or both? big decision), small changes, cash storage and transportation (from A/C to centralised accounting)...Although BA's card payments system on board does need some fine tuning.
Cash is not faster than an efficient card-terminal. To much hassle with change, currencies etc. Two crews pr. trolley with a terminal each is the solution. And two trolleys on high-touristic-routes. But I am not impressed with the speed at BA, have flown a lot with SAS (SK) and Norwegian (DY), where it is not an issue getting through the cabin. But I think both DY and SK have a limited menu for flights less than 1:30hrs. No hot food, and less snack items to choose.

What takes time, compared to a regular free service, is that everyone have to decide what to buy, items are sold out and they have to check again what to buy etc. etc.
Old Aug 20, 2017, 11:57 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA, BA, Accor, Honors Diamond, IHG Diamond Elite and lots more....
Passed an M&S lorry on the M4. Most lorries have numbers to identify them. Smiled as this lorry was BA 5892
Old Aug 20, 2017, 3:42 pm

Programs: BA Silver, HH Silver, IHG Plat
Another Warm Speckled Hen yesterday on my way back from Berlin. Did ask if the fridge was broke, but don't think he heard me.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 8:21 am

Programs: BA Gold. Flying Blue, Radisson, Accor
Flying club Europe today but one of the cabin crew came from economy to ask for two mixers as they had run out on the economy BOB trolley. Supplied to the cabin crew no questions asked. I assume they must have given the mixers free as the sales wouldn't have reconciled.

Seemed a sensible decision to me but presume this is strictly not allowed so will not say what route or flight.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 8:23 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Originally Posted by martin102
Flying club Europe today but one of the cabin crew came from economy to ask for two mixers as they had run out on the economy BOB trolley. Supplied to the cabin crew no questions asked. I assume they must have given the mixers free as the sales wouldn't have reconciled.

Seemed a sensible decision to me but presume this is strictly not allowed so will not say what route or flight.
Why would it be an issue? Business Class things are not accounted for since they are 'free', no?
Old Aug 30, 2017, 8:26 am

Programs: BA Gold. Flying Blue, Radisson, Accor
Originally Posted by ahmetdouas
Why would it be an issue? Business Class things are not accounted for since they are 'free', no?
not an issue in club Europe but would be in economy if they charged for them.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 9:33 am
V10

Programs: MUCCI Gold
Originally Posted by martin102

Not sure I agree, actually.

There will be less to go around for CE passengers, and it's not fair on those passengers who were asked to pay for their mixers before the BoB stocks ran out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.