Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 2, 2017, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: EsherFlyer
** AA Domestic First on two cabin will earn business TPs and avios for departures on or after 11 January 2017 - see reference posts for more details **

** Note that the practice of AA Domestic 3-class service flights booking into A for 210 TPs when I was no longer available ceased in September 2017. Discussion here. **

Welcome to the thread. This is a continuation of the highly popular 2016 Tier Point thread. We keep track of other prices, as well as useful reference information for those planning tier point runs.

Please read the first few posts in this thread first as it contains lots of information which may answer your question.

This is a community-maintained wiki post. Please add important information to it or correct outdated information by clicking the "Edit" button below!

Current Promotions of Interest
Sale Fares
  • from AMS/RTM to US ILN4T7S6/INX6T7S6 reported in this post and this post, e.g. NYC - €1,461, ORD - €1,492, LAS - €1,460, needs to be booked by 25 September, see linked post for details
  • from PRG to US ILN4T8S6 reported in this post, e.g. IAD - £1,033, MIA - £1,133, ATL - £1,080, needs to be booked by 21 September, see linked post for details

Advanced Promotion Fares
  • from DUB to US ILN8C1S6 reported here, e.g. NYC - €1,472, MIA - €1,578, see linked post for details
  • froM DUB to US ILN8S4C1 reported here, e.g. JFK - €1,427, MIA - €1,532, LAS - €1,667, LAX - €1,795, HNL - €2,095, this is an advanced purchase fare so no book by deadline, see linked post for details
  • from OTP to PHX ILN8R4C1 reported here, e.g. PHX - £1,252, see linked post for details
  • from AMS to BKK INCEU60 reported here, e.g. BKK - £1,216, see linked post for details

See here in post # 8 for a 2017 archive of exEU sale fare, and see here in post # 445 for a 2016 archive of exEU sale fares.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This thread lists attractive tier point (TP) runs under £3 per TP grouped within different (departure) geographies

Please note that current availability is not guaranteed and all prices include taxes. Please use the following convention when adding tier point runs to this wiki post:
Date fare checked Price per Tier Point Total Price Total Tier Points Route Booking Classes Booking Channel Credit Notes (if applicable) Airlines

Please remember to:
  • Convert currencies to GBP, rounding to the nearest pound.
  • Post full routes and full booking classes.
  • Note any restrictions on booking in the Notes section.
  • List in order of price per tier point within the relevant departure area.

Please see the links at the bottom of the wiki for archives of runs from previous years.

From Europe

24APR £0.90/TP £400 440 TLL-BA/AY-HEL-LON-GLA-KOI-ABZ ; TLL-BA/AY-HEL-LON-GLA-SDZ-ABZ (see post #1221)
02NOV £1.33/TP £583 440 LHR-HEL-TLL/TLL-HEL-LHR-NCL//NCL-LHR-HEL-TLL/TLL-HEL-LHR IIIIIIIIII Google Flights armouredant 2 nested tickets, both other a Saturday night. BA ticket, BA & AY metal, AY A350 possible LHR-HEL
08FEB £1.33/TP £346 260 JER-LGW-RAK-LGW-RAK I/I/I/I BA.com ramops
14AUG £1.65/TP £593 360 OSL-HEL-AGP-HEL-OSL I-I-I-I ITA Flythe96flag SH J cabin + possible red-eye (!) AY
26JUL £1.81/TP £72.70 40 MAD-FRA Z lan.com Prospero 787 flat bed LA
1JAN £1.85/TP £444 240 JER-LGW/LHR-HEL J/I/I/J ITA Matrix flatlander Available most weekends first half of 2016, fare IM0R
23NOV £1.89/TP £377 200 DUB-LHR-MAD-SVQ r/t I-I-I-I-I-I ITA Lorcancoyle IM0B IB DUB to SVQ BA and IB flights (I2 for domestic under IB code), random dates in December available, A340 on some dates (helpfully pointed out by Temps that domestic Spain is only 20 TPs)
24NOV £1.91/TP £765.00 400 BUD-DOH-SHJ I/A/I/A QR.com Wozza2404 A320 QR
11AUG £2.10/TP £420 200 AMS-LHR-GLA-LSI-ABZ-LSI-GLA-LHR-AMS I/I/I/I/I/I/I/I ITA Matrix --> Priceline.com MrMutton
13NOV £2.56/TP £410 160 LHR-HEL ? BA.com Lorcancoyle wide open as flight+hotel, can reduce with TCB cash back BA

From North, Central and South America
26Jan £1.50/TP £960 640 LGA-CMH-DCA-PHL-RDU-CLT-ATL-MIA-PTY and return I/I/I/I/I/I/I/I/I/I/I/I/I/I/I/I ITA Matrix--> BookWithMatrix dot com --> AA.com HPN-HRL other routings available; reverse routing is £40 more - see post 388 AA
10MAY £2.50/TP £203 80 ORF-CLT-ORD I/I AA.com
21MAY £2.08/TP £250 120 YYZ-PHL/LGA-CLT-ORF/PHF I/I/I AA.com
22NOV £1.43/TP £172 120 DCA-(LGA/BOS/PHL)-CLT-RDU (one way, reverse works as well) I/I/I ITA->BWM->priceline.com

From Middle East, Asia and Australasia
23Feb £0.99/TP £356 360 TPE-xKUL-PEN(JHB)-xKUL-TPE Z http://www.malaysiaairlines.com ermen two day min stay, promo fare MH
04JAN £1.10/TP £44 40 KUL-PEN D http://www.malaysiaairlines.com/uk/en.html fitch Works in both directions, rtn £80 if you can make the timnings work MH
11Nov £0.85/TP £307 360 TPE-KUL-SIN-KUL-TPE Z http://www.malaysiaairlines.com neofung

From Africa

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Need a year-end TP run (ex-LON) to make / retain status?
Some tips for searching for the year-end TP run for newcomers, the below is indicative only, but hopefully provides a bit of guidance for relatively straightforward runs ex-LON. The guide to using ITA matrix in post #4 (see here) along with these ideas, might come in handy. Feel free to share results, problems or general questions in the thread as these may not always work and there might be better deals out there...

For overnight trips remember to check BA and Iberia for their flights and hotel option as well, can get hotel for almost no extra cost at times

Need 80 TPs or fewer
Club Europe return somewhere close by is best - DUB, AMS and JER usually cheapest. AMS and JER easier than DUB for an immediate turnaround. The BA.com low fare finder can be very useful.

If you need as few as 45 TPs you might consider booking economy flights and hoping for a proactive online upgrade offer - but they're not guaranteed to materialise (so not one if you have no more time left in your TP collection year). Alternatively, booking a return to one of the 40 tier point destinations with one way in CE and the return in ET (or vice versa if cheaper). Bilbao, Jersey and Amsterdam seems the most cost effective for this.

Need 85-120 TPs
Iberia flights via MAD to regional Spanish airports will get you 120 TPs as the domestic Spanish flights are 20 TPs in business. Under £300 including hotel can be available. Check BIO, GRX, VLC, BCN, SVQ etc. Example here

Need 125-160 TPs
Take a look at the shorthaul plus routes earning 80 TPs each way in business listed in the first post (here) MLA, IST, HEL and RAK are usually available. If time sensitive take a look at BA flight and hotel option to HEL, where you can usually get the last BA flight out on a Saturday, airport hotel and first return Sunday for well under £500.

Alternative options include positioning to JER and flying JER-LGW-XXX (AMS usually works well and avoids switching airports)

Need more than 160 TPs
You'll most likely be heading north then - OSL or VNO via HEL will get you 240 TPs, as will JER-LGW/LHR-HEL e.g. LHR-HEL-OSL for £520. Also the BA fare for LHR-HEL-TLL at ~£235 is still available and would get 200 TPs for a return.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Historic information
2016 Archive
2015 Archive (6 months Jul to Dec)
2015 Archive (6 months Jan to Jun)
2014 Archive

Print Wikipost

BA Tier Point Runs | 2017 master thread

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2017, 7:44 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
Originally Posted by rrrrrich
ok thanks, that's a really helpful datapoint. looking online, seems they are 120 TP in F between many of these. Looks like I can squeeze in a run to Istanbul and with the PE flights and another US internal, should just scrape it!
I think you'll get 80TP each way rather than 120, see notes on US domestic first at the top of the thread.
Old Dec 4, 2017, 7:48 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by bisonrav
I think you'll get 80TP each way rather than 120, see notes on US domestic first at the top of the thread.
Yes. All AA two cabin domestic flights are now only 40 TP per flight when sat up front rather than 60. So a BOS-JFK-DCA return would now be 4x40=160.
Old Dec 4, 2017, 7:55 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Shl
I had posted a question in the general BA forum.
But perhaps it fits better here in the TP run thread as it is concerning a TP run.

I have booked a ticket on AA stock with BA flight numbers.
Yesterday, AA has sent me an email, informing me of a ticket-exchange.
Also - weirdly - BA MMB is now showing just 980 instead of 1020 TP. But I can not find a reason for this.

Here is the itinerary (original and new):

Outbound:
BA 6078 J OSL - HEL
BA 6031 J HEL - LHR
AA 101 (before BA 1516) I LHR - JFK
AA 23 (before BA 4331) A JFK - LAX
AA 1173 (before AA 2463) I LAX - LAS

Inbound:
AA 2428 I LAS - LAX
AA 172 (before BA 2378) A LAX - JFK
BA 172 I JFK - LHR
BA 6032 J LHR - HEL
BA 6069 J HEL - OSL
My first thought was that MMB can't see one of the AA LAS-LAX or LAX-LAS legs as they are not BA operated, BA numbered, or adjacent to a BA numbered/operated flight. But if that were the case then it should apply to both of them.
Old Dec 4, 2017, 10:11 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Accor Plat, Pucci Fan Club
Originally Posted by Cymro
My first thought was that MMB can't see one of the AA LAS-LAX or LAX-LAS legs as they are not BA operated, BA numbered, or adjacent to a BA numbered/operated flight. But if that were the case then it should apply to both of them.
Don't be so sure! My flights on a similar routing to LAS last week dropped just one of the LAX-LAS sectors in BA MMB. So on the outbound BA MMB showed all sectors correctly including the LAX-LAS. On the inbound BA didn't pick up the LAS-LAX sector. However all sectors did post correctly (miles and TPs).

So I would also suggest the OP checks that BA MMB has all of the sectors in the itinery and if it doesn't, don't worry about it as the TPs will post anyway.
Cymro and Boeingbumper like this.
Old Dec 4, 2017, 11:18 am
Shl

Programs: BA Gold/ Star Alliance Gold
Thanks for the feedback oxtailsoup and Cymro

My main concern is about the Avios.
Clearly, with AA flight numbers I would earn less.
However, can AA just change this so easily?
Shouldn't the Avios also be part of the contract - and with this shouldn't they be credited as per original booking?
Old Dec 5, 2017, 1:56 am

Programs: BA Silver, hh Diamond, IHG spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by bisonrav
For an extra £200 on that you can go WT+ to DOH, and I think an extra 100 TP. I didn't work out the full TP for the run because there are enough to get to 600, but it doesn't seem a bad yield as a TP run and I might do it myself at some point next year.

Been reading this thread for a while and this looks interesting.
is it possible to upgrade these tickets using avios?
Old Dec 5, 2017, 1:59 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
Originally Posted by Yuff
Been reading this thread for a while and this looks interesting.
is it possible to upgrade these tickets using avios?
Do you mean upgrade WTP to CW using avios? This is possible, yes. All WTP fares are upgradable.

Your guide to spending Avios | 2017 edition
Old Dec 5, 2017, 2:17 am

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by Shl
Thanks for the feedback oxtailsoup and Cymro

My main concern is about the Avios.
Clearly, with AA flight numbers I would earn less.
However, can AA just change this so easily?
Shouldn't the Avios also be part of the contract - and with this shouldn't they be credited as per original booking?
When flights change, affecting MCT, or are cancelled, the system will automatically rebook you, which is why you've ended up on AA flight numbers. Just call AA and ask to be moved back to BA flight numbers, then you'll get full Avios credit again.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 2:42 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
I worked out a WT+ itinerary from AMS to DOH using LGW on the final leg, and it came out on google flights at £550 or so, based on the dates the guy who was looking for was doing. I didn't investigate practicalities but as I recall looked OK on the face of things. I'd be interested to know what anyone comes up with if they try this for real.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 5:04 am
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: Lowly BAEC Bronze, VS, IHG Platinum, HHonors Gold, Hotels.com Gold
Not quite TP run territory, but there's a fantastic J fare from LGW - OAK flagged up in the Premium Fare board.

Ba: J lgw oak £993 gbp rt
florens likes this.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 6:37 am

Programs: BA GGL, A3*G, Mucci de l'expertise des Apps
Originally Posted by rhivolution
Not quite TP run territory, but there's a fantastic J fare from LGW - OAK flagged up in the Premium Fare board.

Ba: J lgw oak £993 gbp rt
As it's not TP run material due to only allowing the direct BA flight, it is being discussed in the Premium Fares thread already:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/show...postcount=1513
Old Dec 5, 2017, 8:52 am

Programs: BAEC GOLD
DELETED - my mistake
Old Dec 5, 2017, 3:27 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Nandos
Hi all,

Having never done a TP Run before (I joined FT to do one, hence the name ) I had some fantastic help and advice with the below plan from an FT'er.

I'm about to book the following via AA. Is anyone doing a TP Run at the same time and want to join along?
Could be fun! August Bank Hol in the UK.

My TP Run
LCSinTexas likes this.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 3:34 pm

Programs: GGL/CCR
Originally Posted by TPRun
Hi all,

Having never done a TP Run before (I joined FT to do one, hence the name ) I had some fantastic help and advice with the below plan from an FT'er.

I'm about to book the following via AA. Is anyone doing a TP Run at the same time and want to join along?
Could be fun! August Bank Hol in the UK.

My TP Run
Change your return TATL to AA106 and you'll bump into a few of us the whole way mate
Old Dec 6, 2017, 1:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by KARFA
Thats not true. I did a similar one to KUL earlier this year, passed through BKK on the way back for 2hrs to pick up the fare. Furthest point is irrelevant, routing via KUL/SIN is allowed on the fare.

As I noted, the issue was lack of I class on LHR-SIN.
If its connecting only then the BKK fare would be fine. OP was stopping over and that triggered the SIN fare.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.