Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 2, 2017, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: EsherFlyer
** AA Domestic First on two cabin will earn business TPs and avios for departures on or after 11 January 2017 - see reference posts for more details **

** Note that the practice of AA Domestic 3-class service flights booking into A for 210 TPs when I was no longer available ceased in September 2017. Discussion here. **

Welcome to the thread. This is a continuation of the highly popular 2016 Tier Point thread. We keep track of other prices, as well as useful reference information for those planning tier point runs.

Please read the first few posts in this thread first as it contains lots of information which may answer your question.

This is a community-maintained wiki post. Please add important information to it or correct outdated information by clicking the "Edit" button below!

Current Promotions of Interest
Sale Fares
  • from AMS/RTM to US ILN4T7S6/INX6T7S6 reported in this post and this post, e.g. NYC - €1,461, ORD - €1,492, LAS - €1,460, needs to be booked by 25 September, see linked post for details
  • from PRG to US ILN4T8S6 reported in this post, e.g. IAD - £1,033, MIA - £1,133, ATL - £1,080, needs to be booked by 21 September, see linked post for details

Advanced Promotion Fares
  • from DUB to US ILN8C1S6 reported here, e.g. NYC - €1,472, MIA - €1,578, see linked post for details
  • froM DUB to US ILN8S4C1 reported here, e.g. JFK - €1,427, MIA - €1,532, LAS - €1,667, LAX - €1,795, HNL - €2,095, this is an advanced purchase fare so no book by deadline, see linked post for details
  • from OTP to PHX ILN8R4C1 reported here, e.g. PHX - £1,252, see linked post for details
  • from AMS to BKK INCEU60 reported here, e.g. BKK - £1,216, see linked post for details

See here in post # 8 for a 2017 archive of exEU sale fare, and see here in post # 445 for a 2016 archive of exEU sale fares.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This thread lists attractive tier point (TP) runs under £3 per TP grouped within different (departure) geographies

Please note that current availability is not guaranteed and all prices include taxes. Please use the following convention when adding tier point runs to this wiki post:
Date fare checked Price per Tier Point Total Price Total Tier Points Route Booking Classes Booking Channel Credit Notes (if applicable) Airlines

Please remember to:
  • Convert currencies to GBP, rounding to the nearest pound.
  • Post full routes and full booking classes.
  • Note any restrictions on booking in the Notes section.
  • List in order of price per tier point within the relevant departure area.

Please see the links at the bottom of the wiki for archives of runs from previous years.

From Europe

24APR £0.90/TP £400 440 TLL-BA/AY-HEL-LON-GLA-KOI-ABZ ; TLL-BA/AY-HEL-LON-GLA-SDZ-ABZ (see post #1221)
02NOV £1.33/TP £583 440 LHR-HEL-TLL/TLL-HEL-LHR-NCL//NCL-LHR-HEL-TLL/TLL-HEL-LHR IIIIIIIIII Google Flights armouredant 2 nested tickets, both other a Saturday night. BA ticket, BA & AY metal, AY A350 possible LHR-HEL
08FEB £1.33/TP £346 260 JER-LGW-RAK-LGW-RAK I/I/I/I BA.com ramops
14AUG £1.65/TP £593 360 OSL-HEL-AGP-HEL-OSL I-I-I-I ITA Flythe96flag SH J cabin + possible red-eye (!) AY
26JUL £1.81/TP £72.70 40 MAD-FRA Z lan.com Prospero 787 flat bed LA
1JAN £1.85/TP £444 240 JER-LGW/LHR-HEL J/I/I/J ITA Matrix flatlander Available most weekends first half of 2016, fare IM0R
23NOV £1.89/TP £377 200 DUB-LHR-MAD-SVQ r/t I-I-I-I-I-I ITA Lorcancoyle IM0B IB DUB to SVQ BA and IB flights (I2 for domestic under IB code), random dates in December available, A340 on some dates (helpfully pointed out by Temps that domestic Spain is only 20 TPs)
24NOV £1.91/TP £765.00 400 BUD-DOH-SHJ I/A/I/A QR.com Wozza2404 A320 QR
11AUG £2.10/TP £420 200 AMS-LHR-GLA-LSI-ABZ-LSI-GLA-LHR-AMS I/I/I/I/I/I/I/I ITA Matrix --> Priceline.com MrMutton
13NOV £2.56/TP £410 160 LHR-HEL ? BA.com Lorcancoyle wide open as flight+hotel, can reduce with TCB cash back BA

From North, Central and South America
26Jan £1.50/TP £960 640 LGA-CMH-DCA-PHL-RDU-CLT-ATL-MIA-PTY and return I/I/I/I/I/I/I/I/I/I/I/I/I/I/I/I ITA Matrix--> BookWithMatrix dot com --> AA.com HPN-HRL other routings available; reverse routing is £40 more - see post 388 AA
10MAY £2.50/TP £203 80 ORF-CLT-ORD I/I AA.com
21MAY £2.08/TP £250 120 YYZ-PHL/LGA-CLT-ORF/PHF I/I/I AA.com
22NOV £1.43/TP £172 120 DCA-(LGA/BOS/PHL)-CLT-RDU (one way, reverse works as well) I/I/I ITA->BWM->priceline.com

From Middle East, Asia and Australasia
23Feb £0.99/TP £356 360 TPE-xKUL-PEN(JHB)-xKUL-TPE Z http://www.malaysiaairlines.com ermen two day min stay, promo fare MH
04JAN £1.10/TP £44 40 KUL-PEN D http://www.malaysiaairlines.com/uk/en.html fitch Works in both directions, rtn £80 if you can make the timnings work MH
11Nov £0.85/TP £307 360 TPE-KUL-SIN-KUL-TPE Z http://www.malaysiaairlines.com neofung

From Africa

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Need a year-end TP run (ex-LON) to make / retain status?
Some tips for searching for the year-end TP run for newcomers, the below is indicative only, but hopefully provides a bit of guidance for relatively straightforward runs ex-LON. The guide to using ITA matrix in post #4 (see here) along with these ideas, might come in handy. Feel free to share results, problems or general questions in the thread as these may not always work and there might be better deals out there...

For overnight trips remember to check BA and Iberia for their flights and hotel option as well, can get hotel for almost no extra cost at times

Need 80 TPs or fewer
Club Europe return somewhere close by is best - DUB, AMS and JER usually cheapest. AMS and JER easier than DUB for an immediate turnaround. The BA.com low fare finder can be very useful.

If you need as few as 45 TPs you might consider booking economy flights and hoping for a proactive online upgrade offer - but they're not guaranteed to materialise (so not one if you have no more time left in your TP collection year). Alternatively, booking a return to one of the 40 tier point destinations with one way in CE and the return in ET (or vice versa if cheaper). Bilbao, Jersey and Amsterdam seems the most cost effective for this.

Need 85-120 TPs
Iberia flights via MAD to regional Spanish airports will get you 120 TPs as the domestic Spanish flights are 20 TPs in business. Under £300 including hotel can be available. Check BIO, GRX, VLC, BCN, SVQ etc. Example here

Need 125-160 TPs
Take a look at the shorthaul plus routes earning 80 TPs each way in business listed in the first post (here) MLA, IST, HEL and RAK are usually available. If time sensitive take a look at BA flight and hotel option to HEL, where you can usually get the last BA flight out on a Saturday, airport hotel and first return Sunday for well under £500.

Alternative options include positioning to JER and flying JER-LGW-XXX (AMS usually works well and avoids switching airports)

Need more than 160 TPs
You'll most likely be heading north then - OSL or VNO via HEL will get you 240 TPs, as will JER-LGW/LHR-HEL e.g. LHR-HEL-OSL for £520. Also the BA fare for LHR-HEL-TLL at ~£235 is still available and would get 200 TPs for a return.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Historic information
2016 Archive
2015 Archive (6 months Jul to Dec)
2015 Archive (6 months Jan to Jun)
2014 Archive

Print Wikipost

BA Tier Point Runs | 2017 master thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2017, 7:53 am

Thanks guys, the photo of the flights didnt upload which didnt help, not worried about the miles just the 40 TP needed and 4 x flights. The flights are flying Feb 3rd returning Feb 4th

LHR-HEL BA3062 in V (Operated by Finnair A350) could i upgrade to Biz with miles?
HEL-TLL BA6017 in V (Operated by Nordic for Finnair)
TLL-HEL BA6012 in N (Operated by Nordic for Finnair)
HEL-LHR BA799 in N

So looks like it's all ok, now just need a cheap hotel in Tallin and a list of sights to explore in Helsinki during the day

Last edited by ThomasC3; Jan 18, 2017 at 7:59 am
Old Jan 18, 2017, 7:55 am

I'll let you know how it pans out. The fact that the tickets were bought from BA is part of the problem - some IT glitch because of the cancelled 07:30, there was one other Business traveller with the same issue in LHR, but no one else had the issue boarding the Tallinn flight.

At least I can get an EU flight compo claim in - worth more than the cost of the tickets in this case!!

Plus I need to be back in the UK tonight - so any later flights to Tallinn
wouldn't work.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 7:57 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by UnstableFlyer
I'll let you know how it pans out. The fact that the tickets were bought from BA is part of the problem - some IT glitch because of the cancelled 07:30, there was one other Business traveller with the same issue in LHR, but no one else had the issue boarding the Tallinn flight.

At least I can get an EU flight compo claim in - worth more than the cost of the tickets in this case!!

Plus I need to be back in the UK tonight - so any later flights to Tallinn
wouldn't work.
Hold on, is this nested tickets? Surely must be since the fare requires a Saturday night in Tallinn so if on one booking you wouldn't have been able to book an immediate return. You now basically have two screwed up itineraries?
Old Jan 18, 2017, 8:07 am

Yep. Nested tickets. Cancelled flight etc etc

The woman at the Finnair desk has given me written confirmation I'll be getting a refund for the Tallinn legs - and I have a boarding pass to get back to LHR.

Why they let me fly from LHR when (I'm guessing they knew) I wouldn't be able to get on the Tallinn flight IDK...
Old Jan 18, 2017, 11:48 am

Programs: BA GfL/GGL/CCR, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Why they let me fly from LHR when (I'm guessing they knew) I wouldn't be able to get on the Tallinn flight IDK...
Maybe they wanted you to get your tier points / avios?

Re nested tickets - was it on first b2b or second b2b?
Old Jan 18, 2017, 4:04 pm

Home now.

Last week, 11th - everything was smooth. On time - no problems. So I guess this would be 2nd run (so one outbound & return on 11th, same (in theory) today)

Hmm. If I was flying to go somewhere, it would have been super frustrating and really pissed me off - BUT as a tier point run, I don't care, at least I'm home, that's the main thing.

Arrived at LHR at 05:30. Saw text (sent by Finnair at 2am), 07:30 flight cancelled, great!

Spent a long time in Cathay lounge drinking Moet (after checking in online - at 6am for both HEL & TLL flights). Arrive at gate 40 mins before departure, boarding pass = red light (!) Sent to Elena (only member of staff that knows what the f**k is going on), stand around for 15 minutes, Elena notices I'm business, not economy, has to upgrade me to get me on the flight (and mentions it's a f**k up because of the BA involvement) - only one other business passenger with the same issue.

Fly to HEL - really like the 350, love the onboard cameras, especially for take off and landing.

Try to board the Tallinn flight (I'm the third passenger in line, once the red tape is cleared so super early) - boarding pass = red light. There's one guy boarding passengers, and one lady calling someone (on a mobile!) to sort my journey out. As people pass by, walking down the stairs to catch the bus to the plane, the guy tells me there's plenty of space on the flight and there shouldn't be an issue, which is reassuring, for a while.
Once the bus left, and lots of loud Finnish being spoken on the mobile (!), the lady tells me she 'can't get me on the flight', and it's something to do with it being booked as a BA flight number and the cancelled flight from LHR. Tells me to see Finnair transfers desk.

I go to the desk (BIG queue, some other flight had been delayed or cancelled until the 19th). Lady gives me a boarding pass to get home (priority No1, my partner is pregnant and best not go there...), tells me I'll get a refund for my 'lost' Tallinn leg of my journey. After some chat, I ask her to find out how much of a refund I will get (as it's a super cheap business flight, and I've never had this happen before, and have no idea how they would split the cost) = woman on phone for AGES - even start feeling bad for the people own the queue behind me. She eventually tells me that I will get a 'refund', but as it's BA she can't tell me how much - I ask for written confirmation of this and it's given.

So - now I have time to spare. WHY does Heathrow not have a bar that serves Krug by the glass?????????????????????? Perfect way to kill some time, and another massive + for HEL as a stop off on the way to asia...

Wonder over to the Finnair lounge. Ask the lady if there's any way of checking I'm actually going to be able to board the flight home. She tells me as it's booked as a BA flight (even thought the pass was issued by the Finnair transfers desk) she could not check anything - different databases the culprit.

I eat a Burger King, then got to gate 32A as early as possible (I know what's going to happen) - and surprise, surprise, I get a red light when they scan my fresh (2 hour old), Finnair issued boarding pass. The man tells me it's not a problem (my trust already lost after trying to check into TLL), and I have to wait.......

Luckily, I did get on board, and get home - but I think more luck than anything else.

As my first ever 2nd leg of a tier point run, it's taken some of the shine away from this. I might actually get stranded somewhere, which would be a BIG issue at the moment.

Last edited by UnstableFlyer; Jan 18, 2017 at 4:10 pm
Old Jan 19, 2017, 1:57 am

Programs: BA Gold, Kris Flyer, Skywards, Accor Gold, Radisson Gold
Looking for a last minute milage run next week, saw this

HEL-ARN-DOH-DXB-DOH-CPH-HEL For £980 with a mix of Biz and 1st for the DOH-DXB return legs.

https://www.google.co.uk/flights/#se...x=3;a=ONEWORLD

Can anyone confirm the amount of BA Tier Points this would harvest? I think it's 40+140+60+60+140+40 = 480TP's so approx £2 per TP, not amazing but not bad

Does anyone know if you could use the international 1st class lounges in Doha when connecting to DXB and could you use it on the return when you are coming off the DXB to DOH flight and waiting for the DOH-CPH flight in Biz as its an 8hr+ layover
Old Jan 19, 2017, 2:20 am

Programs: ba gold
Originally Posted by barney2201
Looking for a last minute milage run next week, saw this

HEL-ARN-DOH-DXB-DOH-CPH-HEL For £980 with a mix of Biz and 1st for the DOH-DXB return legs.

https://www.google.co.uk/flights/#se...x=3;a=ONEWORLD

Can anyone confirm the amount of BA Tier Points this would harvest? I think it's 40+140+60+60+140+40 = 480TP's so approx £2 per TP, not amazing but not bad

Does anyone know if you could use the international 1st class lounges in Doha when connecting to DXB and could you use it on the return when you are coming off the DXB to DOH flight and waiting for the DOH-CPH flight in Biz as its an 8hr+ layover
you get to use the al-safwa lounge when you are departing in regional first class not when arriving on regional first so you will have access on the outbound and not on the return
Old Jan 19, 2017, 2:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by barney2201
Yes, looks right to me.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 2:55 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
Home now.

Last week, 11th - everything was smooth. On time - no problems. So I guess this would be 2nd run (so one outbound & return on 11th, same (in theory) today)

Hmm. If I was flying to go somewhere, it would have been super frustrating and really pissed me off - BUT as a tier point run, I don't care, at least I'm home, that's the main thing.

Arrived at LHR at 05:30. Saw text (sent by Finnair at 2am), 07:30 flight cancelled, great!

Spent a long time in Cathay lounge drinking Moet (after checking in online - at 6am for both HEL & TLL flights). Arrive at gate 40 mins before departure, boarding pass = red light (!) Sent to Elena (only member of staff that knows what the f**k is going on), stand around for 15 minutes, Elena notices I'm business, not economy, has to upgrade me to get me on the flight (and mentions it's a f**k up because of the BA involvement) - only one other business passenger with the same issue.

Fly to HEL - really like the 350, love the onboard cameras, especially for take off and landing.

Try to board the Tallinn flight (I'm the third passenger in line, once the red tape is cleared so super early) - boarding pass = red light. There's one guy boarding passengers, and one lady calling someone (on a mobile!) to sort my journey out. As people pass by, walking down the stairs to catch the bus to the plane, the guy tells me there's plenty of space on the flight and there shouldn't be an issue, which is reassuring, for a while.
Once the bus left, and lots of loud Finnish being spoken on the mobile (!), the lady tells me she 'can't get me on the flight', and it's something to do with it being booked as a BA flight number and the cancelled flight from LHR. Tells me to see Finnair transfers desk.

I go to the desk (BIG queue, some other flight had been delayed or cancelled until the 19th). Lady gives me a boarding pass to get home (priority No1, my partner is pregnant and best not go there...), tells me I'll get a refund for my 'lost' Tallinn leg of my journey. After some chat, I ask her to find out how much of a refund I will get (as it's a super cheap business flight, and I've never had this happen before, and have no idea how they would split the cost) = woman on phone for AGES - even start feeling bad for the people own the queue behind me. She eventually tells me that I will get a 'refund', but as it's BA she can't tell me how much - I ask for written confirmation of this and it's given.

So - now I have time to spare. WHY does Heathrow not have a bar that serves Krug by the glass?????????????????????? Perfect way to kill some time, and another massive + for HEL as a stop off on the way to asia...

Wonder over to the Finnair lounge. Ask the lady if there's any way of checking I'm actually going to be able to board the flight home. She tells me as it's booked as a BA flight (even thought the pass was issued by the Finnair transfers desk) she could not check anything - different databases the culprit.

I eat a Burger King, then got to gate 32A as early as possible (I know what's going to happen) - and surprise, surprise, I get a red light when they scan my fresh (2 hour old), Finnair issued boarding pass. The man tells me it's not a problem (my trust already lost after trying to check into TLL), and I have to wait.......

Luckily, I did get on board, and get home - but I think more luck than anything else.

As my first ever 2nd leg of a tier point run, it's taken some of the shine away from this. I might actually get stranded somewhere, which would be a BIG issue at the moment.
You know you might be due IDB as per EC261, and also by sending you home you can request full refund, not just for the TLL legs - they basically did not get you to your final destination and you abandoned journey and returned home. I would post in EC261 thread and enquire about these there!
Old Jan 19, 2017, 3:01 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by nufnuf77
You know you might be due IDB as per EC261, and also by sending you home you can request full refund, not just for the TLL legs - they basically did not get you to your final destination and you abandoned journey and returned home. I would post in EC261 thread and enquire about these there!
... and if that did happen he would very likely lose the TPs and Avios of the flown sectors which kind of defeats the stated object of his trip!
Old Jan 19, 2017, 4:58 am

Sorry last question, is a 45m connection at BIO to risky or more than enough time?

I'm about to call up BA and book the following if it's doable

04/02 LHR-MAD (N) 10:40-14:10
04/02 MAD-BIO (N) 15:35-16:50

04/02 BIO-MAD (N) 17:35-18:40
04/02 MAD-LHR (N) 20:50-22:05

Last edited by ThomasC3; Jan 19, 2017 at 5:16 am Reason: Error
Old Jan 19, 2017, 1:30 pm

I've found a decent looking fare on Google flights and it gives me AA flight numbers, but the fare is only cheaper through AA. But the two TATL flights are operated by BA. Thing is, I want to utilise a GUF, I'm presuming I can't do this through AA?
Old Jan 19, 2017, 1:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by thepowerbook
I've found a decent looking fare on Google flights and it gives me AA flight numbers, but the fare is only cheaper through AA. But the two TATL flights are operated by BA. Thing is, I want to utilise a GUF, I'm presuming I can't do this through AA?
Correct. It would need to be booked on a BA ticket and only BA flights can be upgraded with a GUF.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 3:00 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
... and if that did happen he would very likely lose the TPs and Avios of the flown sectors which kind of defeats the stated object of his trip!
I did not even think about that - well spotted! Anecdotally, I know of at least one person who received and kept all TPs despite abandoning trip very close to actual destination on US west coast.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.