Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

The 2017 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The 2017 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2017, 12:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by gutt3d
Hi All,

I'm a new member here, having sought you out after taking a case to CEDR, doing it incorrectly, getting a "partial success", but now not knowing whether to accept CEDR decision.

Lots more info in THIS THREAD, but I think I posted in wrong place and perhaps better to re-post here. I'll try and summarise the problem, why I went to CEDR, what I did wrong with CEDR, and where I'm at now. This might be lengthy - I apologise in advance if this is too much detail.

The problem:
I was perhaps a bit naive (and would hesitate to do so again in future) but I booked travel with Expedia on 16th April.
My travel on was on a BA flight from LHR to PHX (non-stop) flying out on Sunday 7th May, returning (again on BA) on Friday 26th May.
I paid with standard BA AMEX (not Platinum). Expedia sold me an outbound ticket on Iberia paper - my AMEX bill said that payment went to Iberia (I called AMEX - they can't help me with this)
I booked Premium Ecomony in both directions - total cost was: £2108.00 flight (RT), plus taxes & airline fees of £470.57, plus £20 airline card fee (total paid £2578.57)
I paid to choose my seat in Premium outbound.
Online check-in wasn't available, so I had to check in on the day - at desk I was told I'd be travelling in Economy rather than Premium.
At the gate I was offered (but initially declined) £75 that I was told was an "ex gratis" payment - I thought accepting it would jepoardise any claim I may have against BA.
Even at the gate I considered a claim because the flight manager (I think?) told me I'd be entitled to "75% of the difference in fare price between Economy and Premium"
I realised at the time that 75% of the difference meant that I'd effectively be charged 25% of the difference for privilege of being downgraded.
I filled in a form on the plane to raise a complaint about the downgrade, and contacted my OLTA (Expedia) when I arrived at my destination.

Why I went to CEDR (and what I think did wrong with CEDR):
Aside from raising a complaint on the flight itself, the first contact I had was with Expedia - who advised me to file a web complaint with BA.
Web complaint raised on 7th May.
It became a bit of a circus - BA web team soon stopped responding when I asked how to escalate.
When web team stopped responding, I spoke to someone at BAEC on 18th or 19th May (from here on in I have names, dates, and times whenever I spoke to someone on the phone), who explained the £75 (or £150 in vouchers) wouldn't jeopardise any claim - but ultimately told me I needed to deal with Expedia to process this.
This went round for some months - Expedia, Iberia, BA, etc.
I contacted Which? and they said it's easy - send formal complaint, wait 8 weeks, then go to CEDR. They said divide ticket cost by 2, and then claim 75%.
Formal letter sent on 4th August.
Deadlock reached on 22nd, and CEDR case raised shortly after.
I did it wrong - I claimed for 75% of half of £2578.57 (I didn't take off taxes or fees before claiming).

The CEDR outcome
BA said that I needed to deal with Expedia. They said that outbound leg cost £615.00 so I'd need to claim £461.25 from Iberia via Expedia.
Adjudicator decision came in on 14th Oct - CEDR says BA need to pay me directly (not Expedia or Iberia), but CEDR agreed with BA that I am owed £461.25 (not the amount I claimed).

Where I'm at now
I know it's not personal, but after the runaround I've been given I'm not quick to trust BA. I don't know whether the LHR-PHX sector price of £615 is accurate - to me it seems a little low, given the overall flight price of £2108.
Perhaps it really was £615 - that's what I need help with, as I don't know how to find out.
I contacted Expedia to try and get a breadkdown. They declined to provide one - here's their response:
"We are unable to provide the breakdown of prices and taxes separately as the price you have booked at are consolidated prices and are discounted rates (Expedia Special rate).

Please find the attached invoice displaying Traveller Summary, Flight Summary, Cost Summary and Payment Information.

We appreciate your understanding in this matter."
(the info they provided is that which I already have - see top of this very long post).

I checked everything I've gathered on this, and found the following for the outbound:
"Iberia 4673 operated by BRITISH AIRWAYS
Premium Economy (T) | Seat 15E | Confirm or change seats with the airline*
"
Here's the inbound:
"British Airways 288
Premium Ecomony (W) | Seat 15A | Confirm of change seats with the airline*
"

The outbound flight in question has been removed from my BAEC page, and it doesn't show up on my statement anymore. It got removed quite early in this saga - I just assumed it was BA trying to make things difficult - now I see that they did quite a good job, as I don't know how much the flight cost.

What am I looking for
It's been quite a while now, and even though this (to me) is an awful lot of money - I've almost got to the point now where the money is a secondary concern.
I'm not looking for free first class flights as compensation, nor thousands of Avios, or some big wedge of cash. What I do want it to know that BA aren't stitching me up with their offer.
Is their offer of £461.25 accurate? If so, then I stop stressing and put it all behind me.
If the offer is unfair, then what would be a fair offer?
My thinking is: if their offer is unfair, then I need to find a way to establishing enough evidence to send a letter before action and then going the MCOL route (after first rejecting CEDR).
If a fair offer is e.g. £500 (and they offered me £461.25) then it's not worth continuing the fight and I accept CEDR decision.
If, howevr, a fair offer would be e.g. £700 then I'd most certainly consider MCOL.

I also don't know if I'm entitled to a refund of any taxes since I flew Economy on the outbound. If so, do I raise this with directly with Expedia?

Thanks for reading. I've tried to give as much info as possible - sorry this makes for such a long post.

Any help you can give would be most gratefully received. I'd like to reiterate my thanks for the help already given in THIS THREAD
As you have been advised in the cross-posted thread, time and again, you need to contact Expedia for the fare breakdown. It is impossible to answer your question without the fare details.

As several have pointed out, there are a number of fare combinations where the CEDR calculation is entirely correct and others where it is entirely wrong. Your claim was incorrect and that may have led to your confusion because you claimed 75% of the entire return ticket.

This is a purely arithmetic matter and has nothing to do with fairness or anything else. You are due 75% of the base fare, exclusive of taxes, for the downgraded segment under EC 261/2004. In addition, you are due a tax refund of 50% of the APD (because the downgrade takes you from WT+ to WT).

Hopefully the Mods will merge these at some point, but in the meantime, the sole question is to ask you for the fare breakdown which Expedia can easily supply.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 12:53 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Often1
As you have been advised in the cross-posted thread, time and again, you need to contact Expedia for the fare breakdown. It is impossible to answer your question without the fare details.

As several have pointed out, there are a number of fare combinations where the CEDR calculation is entirely correct and others where it is entirely wrong. Your claim was incorrect and that may have led to your confusion because you claimed 75% of the entire return ticket.

This is a purely arithmetic matter and has nothing to do with fairness or anything else. You are due 75% of the base fare, exclusive of taxes, for the downgraded segment under EC 261/2004. In addition, you are due a tax refund of 50% of the APD (because the downgrade takes you from WT+ to WT).

Hopefully the Mods will merge these at some point, but in the meantime, the sole question is to ask you for the fare breakdown which Expedia can easily supply.
On the advice gained here (in the other thread) I did contact Expedia, asking for a fare breakdown. As above, they declined to provide that info - here's their response (also included in my thread above):

"We are unable to provide the breakdown of prices and taxes separately as the price you have booked at are consolidated prices and are discounted rates (Expedia Special rate).

Please find the attached invoice displaying Traveller Summary, Flight Summary, Cost Summary and Payment Information.

We appreciate your understanding in this matter.
"

The only additional info I have is that outbound was (T) - this is something I didn't notice until this evening, but that's all I've got and it seems Expedia won't help me.

Does this mean I've reached end of the road, or can anything further be done? I appreciate that I don't have all the info, which makes things difficult (and perhaps in light of this I can't take things further).
Old Oct 17, 2017, 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by Globaliser
Combining the two bolded fares gives you (£1,230 + £2,986) * 50% = £2,108.

So BA's claim that the fare for the outbound half was £615 is plausible.

However, as mentioned in your other thread, that doesn't take into account the argument that you should also be paid 75% of the YQ surcharge for that sector, plus the difference in APD between the amount you paid for WT+ (£150) and the amount due for travel in economy (£75).
This is awesome stuff - thank you, and in particular thanks for giving me an opinion I trust regards £615 on the outbound sector.

I'm not sure what to make of the YQ surcharge - I'll do some searching on this forum and see if I can find out what that might be.

Regards the difference in APD - is this same as the £75 that BA paid me? If so, then all I'm missing is 75% of the YQ surcharge. Is that about right?
Old Oct 17, 2017, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
I'm not sure what to make of the YQ surcharge - I'll do some searching on this forum and see if I can find out what that might be.
It's what used to be called the fuel surcharge. The change of name causes endless argument here, which I will avoid.

If you were to buy a ticket today, the YQ would be £114.50 each way (the same is charged by IB and BA. So if the argument that you should get 75% of the YQ as well is a good one, then it would seem that BA owes you another £85.88 for the downgrade.

But given the confirmation that you were on a T class fare outbound and the coincidence of published fares with what you paid, my suspicion is that (other than the APD), that may well be your lot. The 261/2004 experts here will probably be able to give a more reliable view, though.
Regards the difference in APD - is this same as the £75 that BA paid me?
Again, those with more experience will be able to chime in. But it sounds like the £75 may have been given to you ex gratia, not intending to affect your legal rights. If that was the basis on which it was given, then your right (or not) to claim the £75 APD difference would be unaffected.

Leaving aside that payment, it would be natural to expect to get a refund of the difference in APD. But the experts here will be able to help more on that one.
gutt3d likes this.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by Globaliser
Leaving aside that payment, it would be natural to expect to get a refund of the difference in APD. But the experts here will be able to help more on that one.
Yes the poster should get the difference between the standard and reduced rate of ADP back so basically 1/2 the amount paid.

The calculation is separate from that under the % of the sector fare reimbursement for downgrade.
gutt3d likes this.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 4:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The APD refund is simply a tax refund. It would be no different if the passenger held a fully flexible WT+ ticket and changed it voluntarily to WT. He should receive the tax refund having nothing to do with either EC 261/2004 or BA's COC.

As to the YQ, it is worth making a claim for 75% of it. I don't know that pursuing MCOL over it is worth doing unless the passenger is prepared to follow through to a contested resolution. This is not about the small sum, but about lines in the sand BA is likely to draw.

For what it is worth, the entire YQ concept should have been abolished long ago and the fare equal to the amount required to be paid in order to board the flight (+ taxes).

Expedia did a disservice to OP. I fully appreciate that this was a consolidator ticket and thus the segment fare is not 50% of the ticket price. Rather the ticket is simply the ticket. But, the fees & taxes are applied to all tickets and those could easily have been broken down for OP.
gutt3d likes this.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 5:31 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Any help you can give would be most gratefully received. I'd like to reiterate my thanks for the help already given in THIS THREAD
Thanks for the further update, and I think you have put this in the right thread since it will help others in the future.

I think you have two possible approaches, and with MCOL you can try both.

The first approach, and I think it is the safest, is to claim for the missing amount of carrier fee/surcharge. I see no logic in excluding this from the 75% reclaim since it is a fee purely of the airline's own manufacture and is not necessarily incurred by transporting you to PHX. Moreover BA would keep bumping up that element so as to further inhibit proper downgrade reimbursement. So basically I agree with Globaliser on that point. However I don't think you can count the £75 as purely ex gratia, on top of any award, since at MCOL level you more or less have to say "I got £x when I should have got £y" and you can't meaningfully exclude components from either side of the equation. Moreover if you received the standard card and standard text at the gate (which you declined) it does pretty much say that, namely £75 is a prepayment of your eventual claim.

The second approach - well I was about to say it's riskier, but I don't think it is really: If you look at the threads above regarding Mennens v Emirates, there is in paragraph 30 of that ruling a clear method outlined as to how to calculate the downgrade reimbursement. It essentially said you can't use the whole ticket price, if it was a return ticket, instead you have to apply a quotient of the whole ticket price, based on distance. If this was LHR-PHX-LHR then the quotient can only be 50%. My argument would be that 50% can only be applied to the whole ticket price, not 100% of a particular fare basis entirely of BA's choosing. If that was supposed to be true then the Mennens judgement would have been written very differently.

In which case your start point is £2587,
then minus the APD for WT going out £75
minus £20 credit card (actually this is arguable, but let's give IB/Expedia this)
minus £41 departure fee
minus £3, £5, £4, £13, £13, £4, £3 in smaller taxes
Total deductions: £182 rounded up.
Fare only £2405 resultant (£2587-182)
Divide by 50% assuming a LHR-PHX-LHR ticket
£1203 x 0.75 = £902
Subtract £75 first awarded
Subtract CEDR (if BA have paid) £461

Total amount of new claim £365 (rounded down). This figure has to be adjusted upwards if BA have not paid you CEDR, and upwards if the £20 was excluded from £2587.

You should also claim your seat refund fee if you have not done so already, via the online form for this - this would be totally separate from EC261.

Basis of the claim: (a) CEDR did not apply Mennens v Emirates and (b) BA do not know the fare basis and have made assumptions that you, the customer, are unable to test or check (admittedly thanks to Expedia). They have therefore elected the lowest possible refund, contrary to the letter and spirit of the opening words to EC261 "Action by the Community in the field of air transport should aim, among other things, at ensuring a high level
of protection for passengers".

One way you can handle this is to submit MCOL primarily on the basis of Mennens, but add the rider at the end of the claim, "if the above argument does not find the favour of the Court, the second basis of this claim is for the refund of 75% of the air carrier surcharge since this is merely an element of the air ticket cost, entirely at the airline's choosing, and therefore subject to the same remedies as the core ticket price.

I should point out that I am not a lawyer.

If you go this MCOL route then you can't do it half heartedly, you have to do the homework, drill down in the details, and be prepared to turn up in court, even though on the face of it, it could not be economic for BA to turn up in court for £365.

Final point, though it's obvious. This does illustrate the vulnerability of downgrades on OTA tickets: the OTA is responsible for the fare difference refund (e.g. if EC261 did not apply at all), which in the case Expedia would claim from Iberia, who in turn would look to BA to do the calculation. The combination of Expedia, IB and BA is almost unbeatable in terms of being kicked into the long grass.
serfty and gutt3d like this.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 5:55 am

Programs: BA GGL, British Midland Lifetime* Loser
Originally Posted by ajamieson
BA has sent me a third and final refusal for payment relating to an LHR-IST flight delayed 3.5 hours because of a lack of flight crew. (Cabin crew, aircraft and passengers were all ready and waiting at the gate, but no pilots...)

BA says the delay was due to other flights being delayed due to weather, which a) isn't considered a valid extraordinary circumstance and b) is false. Our eventual captain was quite clear the delay was caused by lack of flight crew; he told us he was called in from standby.

Is it worth going through CEDR or should I just go straight to MCOL?
An update; I filed a MCOL and BA initially said it would defend the claim but a few days later offered to pay up. ^ to Flyertalk, to BA
Old Oct 18, 2017, 6:00 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by ajamieson
An update; I filed a MCOL and BA initially said it would defend the claim but a few days later offered to pay up. ^ to Flyertalk, to BA
I wouldn't read too much into BA saying they will defend the claim. In line with common practice with many large organisations, BA find it very hard to get specific information lined up and presented to a para-legal or solicitor in time for the deadlines So BA nearly automatically states they will defend, given there is no direct extra cost and it buys the airline just enough time to find out more and write a defence.

Nevertheless, well done and thanks for reporting back.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
The second approach - well I was about to say it's riskier, but I don't think it is really: If you look at the threads above regarding Mennens v Emirates, there is in paragraph 30 of that ruling a clear method outlined as to how to calculate the downgrade reimbursement. It essentially said you can't use the whole ticket price, if it was a return ticket, instead you have to apply a quotient of the whole ticket price, based on distance. If this was LHR-PHX-LHR then the quotient can only be 50%. My argument would be that 50% can only be applied to the whole ticket price, not 100% of a particular fare basis entirely of BA's choosing. If that was supposed to be true then the Mennens judgement would have been written very differently.

In which case your start point is £2587,
then minus the APD for WT going out £75
minus £20 credit card (actually this is arguable, but let's give IB/Expedia this)
minus £41 departure fee
minus £3, £5, £4, £13, £13, £4, £3 in smaller taxes
Total deductions: £182 rounded up.
Fare only £2405 resultant (£2587-182)
Divide by 50% assuming a LHR-PHX-LHR ticket
£1203 x 0.75 = £902
Subtract £75 first awarded
Subtract CEDR (if BA have paid) £461

Total amount of new claim £365 (rounded down). This figure has to be adjusted upwards if BA have not paid you CEDR, and upwards if the £20 was excluded from £2587.

You should also claim your seat refund fee if you have not done so already, via the online form for this - this would be totally separate from EC261.

Basis of the claim: (a) CEDR did not apply Mennens v Emirates and (b) BA do not know the fare basis and have made assumptions that you, the customer, are unable to test or check (admittedly thanks to Expedia). They have therefore elected the lowest possible refund, contrary to the letter and spirit of the opening words to EC261 "Action by the Community in the field of air transport should aim, among other things, at ensuring a high level
of protection for passengers".

One way you can handle this is to submit MCOL primarily on the basis of Mennens, but add the rider at the end of the claim, "if the above argument does not find the favour of the Court, the second basis of this claim is for the refund of 75% of the air carrier surcharge since this is merely an element of the air ticket cost, entirely at the airline's choosing, and therefore subject to the same remedies as the core ticket price.

I should point out that I am not a lawyer.

If you go this MCOL route then you can't do it half heartedly, you have to do the homework, drill down in the details, and be prepared to turn up in court, even though on the face of it, it could not be economic for BA to turn up in court for £365.

Final point, though it's obvious. This does illustrate the vulnerability of downgrades on OTA tickets: the OTA is responsible for the fare difference refund (e.g. if EC261 did not apply at all), which in the case Expedia would claim from Iberia, who in turn would look to BA to do the calculation. The combination of Expedia, IB and BA is almost unbeatable in terms of being kicked into the long grass.
All absorbed and digested - and hopefully all understood, too. Regards the seat selection refund: BA sorted this quite early-on.

I'm interested in going the MCOL route - to legitimately claim an extra £365 is worthwhile for me.

I have a couple of questions - hopefully ok to post in this thread, but please let me know if I should now be taking this discussion out of the thread and I'll sort it.

Q1. I have not yet responded to CEDR. Is there a recommendation to accept or reject at this stage? Acceptance would in theory mean BA would be obliged to pay £461 - would acceptance be "bad" in terms of MCOL, or in fact would it be beneficial (as the additional claim of £365 might be too low for BA to bother with)?

Q2. In terms of homework etc. this is something I can do - but not certain of the things I'd need to read up on. So - I can read up on Mennens, and will find out what I can about the values of the taxes you've outlined (because I don't know what they represent). If you can suggest further reading that might be useful, I'll go for it. Or - rather - did you mean that if/when BA defend then I need to be prepared to spend some hours/evenings/days researching their defence so that I can then counter?

I don't want to wear out the good will of FTers - if I should bow out now, and do what I can with MCOL (and report back) then that's what I shall do. If there is further advice to be sought here regards preparing MCOL, however, I'd be most keen!

Once again I'd like to say thanks. It's been a very frustrating few months, and it's been very difficult not to take it personally some times. It's very cool to know that places like this exist to help out naive travellers like me.

And indeed - I would be extremely hesitant to use Expedia again, and will favour booking direct with airlines next time. Sadly the whole BA thing has left a bit of a bitter taste, and I think it fair to say that where practical I'll avoid them in future
Old Oct 19, 2017, 11:31 am

Programs: IHG Spire Elite / Hilton Gold
Hey all,

I was recently flying from San Fran – Dublin on BA (one ticket). The SFO-LON was delayed by 6.5 hours (we were on the plane the entire time) and so we arrived 5.5 hours late to London. BA cancelled my original connecting flight from LON-DUB and placed me on a later one, and I arrived roughly 6 hours late to Dublin.

My question is (if anyone knows), would I be entitled to compensation for the entire delay (600 euro) or for both the first delay to London and the second cancellation and rebooking (600 + 250 euro)?

On top of this, thanks to staff working rules, we were only served one meal the entire time we were on the plane (over 17 hours) and my baggage was delayed by two days.

Sorry if this has already been asked!
Old Oct 19, 2017, 12:01 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by jaffaq
Hey all,

I was recently flying from San Fran – Dublin on BA (one ticket). The SFO-LON was delayed by 6.5 hours (we were on the plane the entire time) and so we arrived 5.5 hours late to London. BA cancelled my original connecting flight from LON-DUB and placed me on a later one, and I arrived roughly 6 hours late to Dublin.

My question is (if anyone knows), would I be entitled to compensation for the entire delay (600 euro) or for both the first delay to London and the second cancellation and rebooking (600 + 250 euro)?

On top of this, thanks to staff working rules, we were only served one meal the entire time we were on the plane (over 17 hours) and my baggage was delayed by two days.

Do you know what the reason was for the delay?
Old Oct 19, 2017, 12:06 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold (GGL/CCR), HHonors Diamond
Hey all,

If the reason for delay is covered under 261, it will be 600 Euros for the total delay.
Old Oct 19, 2017, 5:26 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Elite / Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by golfmad
Do you know what the reason was for the delay?
A hole in the plane apparently.

The team in SFO had to send photos of the damage to structural engineers in London. After some time the pilot said the hole was deemed too large to safely fly with without repair and that they called the head structural engineer in. After some more time, they devised a quick temporary solution (super strength duct tape?) which the engineers applied in SFO.

Bit of a weird one! Some people left the plane during this time too, so we had to wait until their bags were retrieved. A flight hostess mentioned that we were about 10 minutes away from the entire flight being cancelled due to how long the pilots were in the cockpit for.
Old Oct 19, 2017, 9:33 pm
Original Poster

A hole in the plane apparently.

The team in SFO had to send photos of the damage to structural engineers in London. After some time the pilot said the hole was deemed too large to safely fly with without repair and that they called the head structural engineer in. After some more time, they devised a quick temporary solution (super strength duct tape?) which the engineers applied in SFO.
That's a new one on me, makes a change from the usual dents. Normally technical faults are not extraordinary and therefore compensation is payable (and yes it would be for the end to end time here, looking at SFO to DUB, one compensation payment of 600€). The bar is set quite high, from the airline's perspective, nevertheless if the hole was caused by (e.g.) an asteroid then BA may have some wriggle room to deny the claim.

I would claim 600€. They may pay automatically, they may claim it was caused by an unspecified external agency. In the latter case you should still pursue all the way until the present proof that it was an asteroid / bird strike or whatever.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.