Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

The 2017 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The 2017 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2017, 4:20 am

Programs: BA Blue
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Unless BA had been willing to find you an alternative option at the time, I don't see the need to compromise. The guidelines they put in place are purely of BA's making, and while I can see this actually is very sensible (given the number of "what is reasonable" questions we see here and most people are perhaps able to adapt to the circumstances better), it actually has nothing to do with your entitlements under the Regulation. There are no specific limits in the Regulation, moreover BA failed in their Right of Care responsibilities. On top of that, there is a very specific clause in the Regulation that underlines the importance of Right of Care to those with disabilities, which admittedly is non specific, but if it had to be specifically applied then it would be on something like this. Ditto food and transport, incidentally.

If this got to court, I'm 100% sure this would not get past initial pleadings. Which, of course, is why it won't get to court.
I took the liberty of quoting the above in my last response and have received the following:

Thanks for coming back to us about your flight from New York. You’re clearly unhappy with the compensation we’ve offered you and I understand why, but please let me explain our position.
You think our contribution towards your expenses isn’t appropriate for what you went through. When we’re disrupted on such a huge scale, we have to decide what we’ll cover depending on how our customers were affected.
We know we have a responsibility to help you as much as we can. The contribution we’ve made towards your claim is in line with what we can offer and I hope you’ll understand we have to be consistent so we’re fair to all our customers. This means we can’t make an exception this time and I’m so sorry to let you down.
I’m afraid your total claim is more than what we consider to be reasonable costs for hotels. Have you considered making a claim through your travel insurance? If you need any documentation, please reply to this email using the blue link below and I’ll be happy to help where I can.

Clearly they are ignoring anything I say so I presume I now take this to the small claims court or CEDR? Or is there another BA channel?
Old Jun 27, 2017, 4:25 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by chrismk
Clearly they are ignoring anything I say so I presume I now take this to the small claims court or CEDR? Or is there another BA channel?
Ask them for a CEDR deadlock letter "since I'm unable to let the matter rest". I'd actually take it to MCOL, it will probably be faster.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 4:42 am

Programs: BA Blue
Thanks c-w-s.
I've informed them that I'm persuing the claim through MCOL.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 4:42 am

Programs: BAEC back to silver, Flying Blue Silver
Originally Posted by caz312
you would have a total delay of weather+technical+ATC...was the technical part of the delay over 3 hours?
Yes, unless the technical delay - on its own - was over 3 hours long, I can't see this going anywhere. Being upgrade or a redemption ticket makes no difference, they are still entitled to compensation, but only for the non extraordinary bit. The time limit for claiming depends on where you live, see the initial posts, but you have years to claim, not days.
No, the total delay was (well) over 3 hours. first it was weather/ATC, then (while taxying) it was technical and then weather & ATC one more time. All in 4 hours. I have no way of knowing exactly how long it was a technical issue but I would estimate 90 minutes.

No compensation for me then, but I had no real issues other than waste of leisure time, as opposed to others who actually had work to do etc. Those who missed flight connections were very well taken care off.

Last edited by Great_circle; Jun 27, 2017 at 4:52 am
Old Jun 27, 2017, 6:58 am

Programs: BA Gold, BMI, ANA, HH Blue, SPG Gold
Third Party booking problems

I paid for nine seats through Gotogate, a travel agent. The outbound flight was cancelled by BA as a result of their IT problems.

BA tell me that the outbound tickets are eligible for refund, which must be by the third party, who then reclaim from BA.

The third party are not at all helpful and keep trying to pass the 'buck' back to BA and I'm getting nowhere.

I'm desperately seeking advice, as to who to call to escalate this.

Gotogate gave me a number to call, in Sweden, which turned out to be BA, who of course advised me to call Gotogate and so it goes on!

Today, I received an email from another third party agent, with whom I booked a further seat for this ill-fated flight. They are processing the refund to my card, so why can't Gotogate?

Last edited by botham; Jun 27, 2017 at 7:30 am Reason: Addition
Old Jun 27, 2017, 7:58 am

Originally Posted by botham
so why can't Gotogate?
Gotogate don't have the best reputation
In reality this should be simple
flight cancelled, airline refund due to passenger > passenger requests refund from their agent > agent requests refund from airline > airline refunds agent > agent refunds passenger (less their 'service' fee) the whole process can take some weeks
Until Gotogate request the refund from BA this will go nowhere
Old Jun 27, 2017, 8:16 am

Originally Posted by caz312
Gotogate don't have the best reputation
In reality this should be simple
flight cancelled, airline refund due to passenger > passenger requests refund from their agent > agent requests refund from airline > airline refunds agent > agent refunds passenger (less their 'service' fee) the whole process can take some weeks
Until Gotogate request the refund from BA this will go nowhere
I don't think they ever will, so I am seeking what, if anything, I can do to expedite this mess.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 10:17 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I don't think they ever will, so I am seeking what, if anything, I can do to expedite this mess.
Did you pay via a UK issued credit card? If so it may be eligible for a Section 75 refund if the travel agency doesn't help further. Alternatively travel insurance. If all else fails, MCOL (via the EU wide scheme). It doesn't surprise me that the OTA is unhelpful, they aren't set up to handle this situation, I think people need to be aware of these pitfalls before going down this route.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 10:31 am

Did you pay via a UK issued credit card? If so it may be eligible for a Section 75 refund if the travel agency doesn't help further. Alternatively travel insurance. If all else fails, MCOL (via the EU wide scheme). It doesn't surprise me that the OTA is unhelpful, they aren't set up to handle this situation, I think people need to be aware of these pitfalls before going down this route.
I usually book direct with BA or through Trailfinders. Goodness knows why I veered off the straight and narrow this time!

Good point about Section 75, which I put in motion earlier.

Travel insurance doesn't cover me, as I merely paid for the tickets.

I didn't realise the MCOL route operated in EU as well.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 10:40 am
Original Poster

I didn't realise the MCOL route operated in EU as well.
It's not strictly MCOL, I used too much shorthand there, but there is a small claims mechanism that can be served from the UK via other EU courts, and that include Swedish companies. g2g is actually owned by a respectable Swedish holding company, I would hope it would not come to that.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 2:47 pm

It's not strictly MCOL, I used too much shorthand there, but there is a small claims mechanism that can be served from the UK via other EU courts, and that include Swedish companies. g2g is actually owned by a respectable Swedish holding company, I would hope it would not come to that.
Thank you, You're a mine of info.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 2:20 am

Gotogate aka Supersaver travel, Sweden have just told me that is in their t&c not to process refunds. Only the airline can deal with this, which is of course, exactly the opposite of what BA say.

Could be an expensive mistake, but I am getting very tired investigating this debacle.

Supersaver travel have just given me a number to call to sort out this mess. Guess what.... it is an automated information line.

Last edited by botham; Jun 28, 2017 at 2:23 am Reason: Addition
Old Jun 28, 2017, 2:36 am

Programs: BA Gold
Is this the right thread to discuss Dove vs Iberia? Interested to hear cws' and others' views.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 3:20 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by P.henrik
Is this the right thread to discuss Dove vs Iberia? Interested to hear cws' and others' views.
This was a District Judge ruling where Iberia had to refund the return leg of a flight which was auto cancelled due to the passenger missing the outbound. It's not directly EC261, and knowing Iberia's approach to legal issues, not at all binding on other cases. It's importance has been considerably overstated by The Independent -this was nowhere near appellate status, though that could still happen.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 8:04 am

I'm pleasantly surprised that BA have agreed to my claim of 600 Euros - I mean, it would be nice if it hadn't taken a month but I'm not going to push my luck

So, in summary, due to BA0048 (SEA - LHR) being cancelled and then I was involuntarily rerouted on Virgin Atlantic (no big deal tbh) and then stuck in LHR until arriving in EDI 5 hours late results in 600 - I think this is actually to the letter of the rules and it's the cancellation of the SEA - LHR leg that made the difference rather than "just being late".

I'm happy (and got my status extension to 2020 as well). I know we say bad things about BA but I actually think they've handled the fallout from this reasonably well albeit slowly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.