Community
Wiki Posts
Search

777 on MAD route S17

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2019, 2:02 pm

I’m booking two LHR-MAD-LHR trips in November 2019 and January 2020 and it seems that the 777 has been removed from the schedule. It looks like A320/321 only in the winter 19/20 season at this stage.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 3:35 pm

Programs: BA GfL/GGL/CCR, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by kaizenflying
I’m booking two LHR-MAD-LHR trips in November 2019 and January 2020 and it seems that the 777 has been removed from the schedule. It looks like A320/321 only in the winter 19/20 season at this stage.
Other way round - it loaded the default schedule and no one has added the 777 yet as a replacement for one of the flights.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 3:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
It will probably be loaded in a couple months, assuming it's staying on the route.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 4:59 am

Programs: BA, U2+, SK, AF/KL, IHG, Hilton, others gathering dust...
Does anyone know if/when the WTP cabin opens up for selection when booked into ET on the BA 777 flights? I've only done these flights booked in CE previously (which might still happen if a suitable POUG comes along). Was able to book the PE seats on the IB-operated A340 flight, when booked as economy.

Currently WTP is showing as blocked, and presumably due a bug when sold as ET, is showing as 2-3-2 in MMB seat map.

Appreciate any insight.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 5:04 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by Oaxaca
Does anyone know if/when the WTP cabin opens up for selection when booked into ET on the BA 777 flights? I've only done these flights booked in CE previously (which might still happen if a suitable POUG comes along). Was able to book the PE seats on the IB-operated A340 flight, when booked as economy.

Currently WTP is showing as blocked, and presumably due a bug when sold as ET, is showing as 2-3-2 in MMB seat map.

Appreciate any insight.
All I can tell you is that when seat selection opened up for me (BAEC Silver) WTP cabin was open to book a seat, which I did. Seems to be pretty random as to what happens & when with this flight !
Old Feb 18, 2019, 5:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
72 hours before IME. Though be quick, sometimes blocks off entirely at T-48.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 5:25 am

Originally Posted by THEOBCMAN
All I can tell you is that when seat selection opened up for me (BAEC Silver) WTP cabin was open to book a seat, which I did. Seems to be pretty random as to what happens & when with this flight !
Originally Posted by BA6501
72 hours before IME. Though be quick, sometimes blocks off entirely at T-48.
Thanks, looks like an EF seat alert is in order...
Old Feb 18, 2019, 5:57 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Oaxaca
Thanks, looks like an EF seat alert is in order...
The 72 hour transfer to FLY is all you need. The longer story is that if the 777 is filling up then they open the WTP cabin early. If not it opens at T-72 (but as indicated, they have been known to close it down at T-48). Then it's a free for all at T-24. If you are on a 777-300 then it is possible that the last row of WTP is already open to you, I don't think they have spotted that one.

I watched this on some of my MAD services (though that's usually a CE run for me). On my last service I reckoned there were 22 Rubys or above, counting the Theoretical Seating blocks (which is inexact when there are family groups) and at T-72 precisely 2 people, a Gold and a Silver shot off to the front row of WTP and got their TS blocks nicely in place. No-one else moved. At OLCI 11 of the status passengers did move, but in some cases losing their TS blocks. And of course the back of the aircraft was empty with whole empty rows. I reckon there was about 240 passengers on that service, 297 being capacity. Flub wasn't used, and CW was only half full. So if the flight doesn't look full, you may want to go backwards, not forwards.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 6:15 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
The 72 hour transfer to FLY is all you need. The longer story is that if the 777 is filling up then they open the WTP cabin early. If not it opens at T-72 (but as indicated, they have been known to close it down at T-48). Then it's a free for all at T-24. If you are on a 777-300 then it is possible that the last row of WTP is already open to you, I don't think they have spotted that one.

I watched this on some of my MAD services (though that's usually a CE run for me). On my last service I reckoned there were 22 Rubys or above, counting the Theoretical Seating blocks (which is inexact when there are family groups) and at T-72 precisely 2 people, a Gold and a Silver shot off to the front row of WTP and got their TS blocks nicely in place. No-one else moved. At OLCI 11 of the status passengers did move, but in some cases losing their TS blocks. And of course the back of the aircraft was empty with whole empty rows. I reckon there was about 240 passengers on that service, 297 being capacity. Flub wasn't used, and CW was only half full. So if the flight doesn't look full, you may want to go backwards, not forwards.
Thanks, I’ll probably be reminded by the seat alert that it is T-72...I don’t fly as much as you, but enough not to remember the countdown to all of them.

It is a 773 currently, but all of WTP (rows 21-26) currently blocked. Agree that in the absence of a decent POUG, it might be tempting to go back to exit row 37 on a lightly loaded flight. I’d probably still go for WTP if it opens though, especially if I can get TS to kick in as well.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 5:07 pm

777 soon to be replaced by A350. Along with the 747 DXB rotation.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 9:37 am

Not BA but kind of related. Has anyone flown LHR-MAD on the IB 340/350 and booked seats in their PE section ? Can you select at time of booking ? Free or fee ? On the phone ? Would BA or IB issued ticket be better ? Any insite appreciated - cheers.
george77300 likes this.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 9:46 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Not BA but kind of related. Has anyone flown LHR-MAD on the IB 340/350 and booked seats in their PE section ? Can you select at time of booking ? Free or fee ? On the phone ? Would BA or IB issued ticket be better ? Any insite appreciated - cheers.
At time of booking and free for me (paid on Basic fares). The phone agents can book them too. I did on IB issued but I don’t suppose it matters too much.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 9:51 am

Originally Posted by george77300

At time of booking and free for me (paid on Basic fares). The phone agents can book them too. I did on IB issued but I don’t suppose it matters too much.
Cheers. And that was booked on IB website - right ?
george77300 likes this.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 9:53 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Cheers. And that was booked on IB website - right ?
Yes. Dummy booking any expensive Economy fare gives you seats selection. (Note not all A340 have PE so check the layout).

It is known to be buggy at times, however. A phone call to the agents should sort.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 10:03 am

Originally Posted by george77300

Yes. Dummy booking any expensive Economy fare gives you seats selection. (Note not all A340 have PE so check the layout).

It is known to be buggy at times, however. A phone call to the agents should sort.
Thanks. I have just tried a dummy booking for the A350 in May. One way £69 basic fare plus £15.00 for PE seat selection which is still ok I think ! Taking my 10 yo (Apparently he wants to try PE !! So do I.)
george77300 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.