Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA 'Mixed Fleet' cabin crew dispute [agreement reached]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 13, 2016, 11:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NWIFlyer
Routes to/from LGW*/LCY/STN are NOT affected. Only flights to/from LHR* are potentially affected. If you think you may be affected, post 2714 (click here) may be helpful.

*The LGW-JFK flight has seen a lot of cancellations for the current strike period.

Current strike period:
  • None

Next announced strike period:

Previous strike periods:
    • 25th December 2016 from 00:01 for 48 hours. (Strike action was suspended following ACAS discussions and revised offer.)
    • 10th & 11th January 2017
    • 19th January 2017 for 72 hours until 21st January
    • 5th-7th & 9th-11th February 2017
    • 17th-20th February 2017
    • 22nd-25th February 2017
    • 3rd-9th March 2017
    • 16th-19th June 2017 (suspended pending further ACAS talks)
    • 1st-16th July 2017
    • 19th July-1st August 2017
    • 2nd-15th August 2017
    • 16th-30th August 2017

Routes affected:
    As a possible indication, for the fifth strike period BA announced the following cancellations:
    http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27910044-post2131.html as well as flights to and from Doha on all affected days (17 - 20 February).

Mixed fleet routes are listed here, though note that other (non Mixed Fleet) flights from Heathrow are also being cancelled.

Note for context in terms of how many routes might actually be affected: there are about 4000 members of MF (of which ~2,700 are Unite members and therefore eligible to take industrial action) and 15,000 total cabin crew

Background Details from BA:
    Strike 19th July-1st August
    2nd August-16th August

Background Details from Unite:
    http://www.unitetheunion.org/news/br...ty-pay-levels/
    http://www.unitetheunion.org/news/br...refuses-talks/

Latest negotiating position:
    Talks at ACAS in June appear to have failed, with a further two week strike commencing 1st July announced on 16th June.

Key upcoming dates:
    • Latest negotiated position (@ 23rd Oct 2017) between BA & Unite to be balloted. Rumoured that the union is recommending acceptance.

Ballot results for industrial action:
    • First ballot, November 2016: Yes 79.5%, No 20.5%
    • Second ballot, December 2016: Yes 70%, No 30%
    • Third ballot, March 2017: Yes 56%, No 44%, turnout 72%
    Print Wikipost

BA 'Mixed Fleet' cabin crew dispute [agreement reached]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2017, 2:31 am
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by a mirrer
    Well they applied to the CAA to use the wet leased planes for 2 months so I guess they have the planes for the duration of the strike
    The CAA did not grant them permission for beyond 18 16 July. They said a fresh application would need to be made.

Last edited by Calchas; Jul 18, 2017 at 6:07 am
    Old Jul 18, 2017, 2:39 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
    Originally Posted by Calchas
    The CAA did not grant them permission for beyond 18 July. They said a fresh application would need to be made.
    Really? But the next strike starts tomorrow!
    Old Jul 18, 2017, 3:33 am
    Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
    The CAA did not grant them permission for beyond 18 July. They said a fresh application would need to be made.
    Yes, I remember your post with the linked CAA document https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28521094-post352.html

The recommendation to the Secretary of State was only for the period of 1 July to 16 July 2017. For further periods I guess the section quoted below is relevant, could BA have already applied?

32. We suggest that the Secretary of State considers approval for any subsequent lease period only after (a) BA has specified what further lease period is required and has made a case for such an extension, and (b) the CAA has had the opportunity to provide further advice in the light of comments received.
    Old Jul 18, 2017, 6:06 am
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ahmetdouas
    Really? But the next strike starts tomorrow!
    Originally Posted by KARFA
    Yes, I remember your post with the linked CAA document https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28521094-post352.html

The recommendation to the Secretary of State was only for the period of 1 July to 16 July 2017. For further periods I guess the section quoted below is relevant, could BA have already applied?
    Checking again, BA did ask for permission to extend up to the 1st August.

Presumably permission was granted but it has not been publicly announced. I'll ask the nice man at the CAA if you like
    Old Jul 18, 2017, 6:17 am

Programs: BA (LTG), Miles&More (whatever the lowest level is), Oyster card (zones 1-2)
    Checking again, BA did ask for permission to extend up to the 1st August.

Presumably permission was granted but it has not been publicly announced. I'll ask the nice man at the CAA if you like
    Tomorrow's Zagreb is showing as Qatar Airways.
    Old Jul 18, 2017, 9:45 am
    Suspended

Programs: BAEC
    Originally Posted by denhaagflyer
    Alternative flights are not a problem - as long as we can be put on the 6:20 no worries; if it is a later flight, we will mis-connect and have to wait another day for the next flight from MAD to BOG. That is my concern. I guess by zeroing out the flights on that day, BA is planning for this possibility, so can distribute people accordingly.
    Assuming it's all on one ticket, there are other ways of getting to BOG the same day without having to go via MAD.
    Old Jul 19, 2017, 5:48 am
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ScruttonStreet
    Tomorrow's Zagreb is showing as Qatar Airways.
    At risk of being a cross poster:

After receiving advice from the CAA, the Secretary of State grants permission for BA to use QR aircraft between the 19th July and 1st August.

Permission to use the aircraft on the dates of 17th and 18th was refused. [During which no industrial action took place.]
    Old Jul 19, 2017, 7:36 am

I see that Friday 21st July's BA1324, the 07:05 from London Heathrow to Newcastle, and the return BA1325, the 09:00 from Newcastle back to Heathrow, are slated to be operated by Qatar Airways.

Have any other non Mixed Fleet services such as this used QR aircraft thus far?

I have had a quick scroll through this thread, but couldn't immediately find a report.
    Old Jul 19, 2017, 7:39 am

Programs: BA Executive Club Gold, TK Smiles and Miles, Hilton Honors
    NCE

Originally Posted by continentalclub
    I see that Friday 21st July's BA1324, the 07:05 from London Heathrow to Newcastle, and the return BA1325, the 09:00 from Newcastle back to Heathrow, are slated to be operated by Qatar Airways.

I have had a quick scroll through this thread, but couldn't immediately find a report.
    The BA356/7 rotation to/from NCE was being operated by a QR aircraft at the start of the previous strike period.
    Cheers
    Steve
    Old Jul 19, 2017, 7:41 am

Programs: BA Silver; IHG Spire; Avis P+; Global Entry
    I'm sat in GC now and can see passengers being loaded onto a QR A320 on stand 524
    Old Jul 19, 2017, 7:43 am

Originally Posted by Boyfrombiot
    The BA356/7 rotation to/from NCE was being operated by a QR aircraft at the start of the previous strike period.
    Cheers
    Steve
    Many thanks for that Boyfrombiot ^.
    Old Jul 19, 2017, 8:03 am
    Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
    Originally Posted by continentalclub

It matters not which crew normally operates on a particular route. Cancellations and substitutions may occur at any time, on any route irrespective of which crew usually operates the service. MF fleet crews might operate a flight normally crewed by WW, EF/WW might operate a flight normally crewed by MF - the airline will assign crew, aircraft and carrier according to operational need.
    Old Jul 19, 2017, 9:58 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
    Unite members of BA mixed fleet cabin crew to strike for further 14 days from 2 August after current 14-day walkout ends in dispute over pay
    Old Jul 19, 2017, 10:04 am
    Suspended

Programs: BAEC GGL, HH DIAMOND, AVIS Presidents Club, Karahi Express
    Separate thread here for which flights are QR Operated. .... http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...-strike-6.html
    Old Jul 19, 2017, 10:04 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
    Originally Posted by Fontana
    Unite members of BA mixed fleet cabin crew to strike for further 14 days from 2 August after current 14-day walkout ends in dispute over pay
    lol qatar airways might as well permanently base their planes in t5!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.