Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA 'Mixed Fleet' cabin crew dispute [agreement reached]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 13, 2016, 11:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NWIFlyer
Routes to/from LGW*/LCY/STN are NOT affected. Only flights to/from LHR* are potentially affected. If you think you may be affected, post 2714 (click here) may be helpful.

*The LGW-JFK flight has seen a lot of cancellations for the current strike period.

Current strike period:
  • None

Next announced strike period:

Previous strike periods:
    • 25th December 2016 from 00:01 for 48 hours. (Strike action was suspended following ACAS discussions and revised offer.)
    • 10th & 11th January 2017
    • 19th January 2017 for 72 hours until 21st January
    • 5th-7th & 9th-11th February 2017
    • 17th-20th February 2017
    • 22nd-25th February 2017
    • 3rd-9th March 2017
    • 16th-19th June 2017 (suspended pending further ACAS talks)
    • 1st-16th July 2017
    • 19th July-1st August 2017
    • 2nd-15th August 2017
    • 16th-30th August 2017

Routes affected:
    As a possible indication, for the fifth strike period BA announced the following cancellations:
    http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27910044-post2131.html as well as flights to and from Doha on all affected days (17 - 20 February).

Mixed fleet routes are listed here, though note that other (non Mixed Fleet) flights from Heathrow are also being cancelled.

Note for context in terms of how many routes might actually be affected: there are about 4000 members of MF (of which ~2,700 are Unite members and therefore eligible to take industrial action) and 15,000 total cabin crew

Background Details from BA:
    Strike 19th July-1st August
    2nd August-16th August

Background Details from Unite:
    http://www.unitetheunion.org/news/br...ty-pay-levels/
    http://www.unitetheunion.org/news/br...refuses-talks/

Latest negotiating position:
    Talks at ACAS in June appear to have failed, with a further two week strike commencing 1st July announced on 16th June.

Key upcoming dates:
    • Latest negotiated position (@ 23rd Oct 2017) between BA & Unite to be balloted. Rumoured that the union is recommending acceptance.

Ballot results for industrial action:
    • First ballot, November 2016: Yes 79.5%, No 20.5%
    • Second ballot, December 2016: Yes 70%, No 30%
    • Third ballot, March 2017: Yes 56%, No 44%, turnout 72%
    Print Wikipost

BA 'Mixed Fleet' cabin crew dispute [agreement reached]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2017, 4:48 pm
    Suspended

Can I ask, what do the crew get in terms of food allowance etc when at the destination? Do they get a hotel room each or do they share? I get they get paid £14k but is that just it?
    Old Jan 8, 2017, 5:31 pm

Programs: British Airways Executive Club
    Originally Posted by SgtRyan
    Can I ask, what do the crew get in terms of food allowance etc when at the destination? Do they get a hotel room each or do they share? I get they get paid £14k but is that just it?
    They get £3 an hour from check in until landing back in the UK. 40% of that £3 an hour is taxed at a more preferential rate, as it has been demonstrated to the HMRC that it is used downroute. Crew get a hotel room but no sustenance downroute. So the £3 an hour is for everything from breakfast to a cup of coffee.
    Old Jan 9, 2017, 12:46 am

Programs: BA Exec Club Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
    Originally Posted by Lite
    They get £3 an hour from check in until landing back in the UK. 40% of that £3 an hour is taxed at a more preferential rate, as it has been demonstrated to the HMRC that it is used downroute. Crew get a hotel room but no sustenance downroute. So the £3 an hour is for everything from breakfast to a cup of coffee.
    Should Unite not point out very publicly that BA don't even provide food for MF staff when staying away on duty ?

I am shocked by that ...
    Old Jan 9, 2017, 5:14 am

Location: Miami Beach FL, Philadelphia PA, and Oxfordshire UK
    Programs: BA Gold, AA Executive Platinum, PriorityPass, Global Entry, Marriott Platinum
    Just received this email from BA regarding the strike and my flight to PHL on the 12th in First this week.... quite surprised by that TBH. Wasn't aware there were going to be issues like this on board operating LH flights.
    I'm not a big fan of on board catering in general - I tend to just eat something for something to do.

Dear Mr Jet Ranger,

The trade union, Unite, which represents some of our cabin crew, is taking industrial action on 10th and 11th January and we would like to reassure you that we are planning to operate your flight as normal.

We are planning to offer the vast majority of our onboard experience in our First class cabins and all of our ground services such as dedicated check-in, Fast Track Security and lounge access will also be available as normal.

Unfortunately due to Unite’s actions, we have been unable to plan with any certainty how many cabin crew will be available on each flight to undertake every aspect of our normal onboard service routines.

For this reason we have taken the precautionary decision to offer First customers on all affected routes the same choice of meals as we offer in Club World.

Regrettably this affects your flight and we are sorry that on this occasion we are not able to deliver our usual level of meal service.

If you had pre-ordered your First meal and now wish to choose in advance from our Club World menu please do so on ba.com. This is available up to 24 hours before your departure.

As a gesture of goodwill we would like to offer you a credit of 10,000 Avios.
    This will be added to your account in the days following your flight.

Given the complexity of our global catering and cabin crew operations, there may continue to be some changes to our meal service routines in the 48 hours following the end of the planned industrial action.

Thank you for your understanding and we look forward to welcoming you on board.
    Old Jan 9, 2017, 5:21 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
    In effect a downgrade then.
    Old Jan 9, 2017, 5:36 am
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

Why can't they deliver F food during the strike?
    Old Jan 9, 2017, 5:40 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
    Originally Posted by Calchas
    Probably using the strike as an excuse to save more money.

I'd be extremely disappointed if I'd paid for First but got served the same as the CW cabin. It would take more than 10,000 Avios to buy me off.
    Old Jan 9, 2017, 5:40 am

Programs: BA Silver
    Economy customers got a similar email, but it stated that they could not guarantee a seat cushion. No Avios compensation though.
    Old Jan 9, 2017, 5:41 am
    Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
    Originally Posted by Calchas
    I struggled with that for a minute or two. But I would guess the answer is that they anticipate not having sufficient First trained staff - or staffing levels - available. The First meals need to be plated in a particular way, they have a chart to work off, it takes time if you haven't done it very often in the past (and hence the delay in service often reported here). So as a precaution they are providing CW food in First to make it easier to roster crews for the flight, rather than for flight and cabin. Just my guess, I've not been told anything here.
    Old Jan 9, 2017, 5:42 am
    ZBD

Programs: BA Gold
    I just received the same email for BA209 to Miami on Wednesday. Tried to log on to select my Club Grub but not surprisingly the link is not working. Does anyone by chance have the CW menu for BA209 this week?
    Suggestions as to how I can donate my 10K Avios compensation to MF to assist with commuting costs would be appreciated.
    Old Jan 9, 2017, 5:43 am

Programs: KE MC Premium, BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, AZ FA+, Melia Gold
    Wouldn't be surprised if this is intentional by BA, get high value customers slightly inconvenienced by the strike, they're (theoretically) less likely to have sympathy for the strikers.

Pretty ridiculous game to play, unless someone can verify that crew uncertainty would affect the meals. Also assume this only applies to MF flights?
    Old Jan 9, 2017, 5:44 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
    So, if you have a broken seat, no IFE, no food at all etc. in F, you get 4500 Avios yet having to have eat something not too dissimilar, it gets you 10000?

Seat cushion? Is that a pillow as I thought the seat cushions (or just AA?) were removable and could be used as flotation devices?
    Old Jan 9, 2017, 5:47 am
    Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
    Originally Posted by Paralytic
    Economy customers got a similar email, but it stated that they could not guarantee a seat cushion. No Avios compensation though.
    I just laughed so loudly I woke up the chap across the aisle from me!

M
    Old Jan 9, 2017, 5:52 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
    So I suppose we have a right to refund these F flights then?
    Old Jan 9, 2017, 5:57 am
    V10

Programs: MUCCI Gold
    Originally Posted by Paralytic
    I'm currently pondering the possibility that the seat cushion is in fact proving to be a tastier and more substantial proposition than the infamous Y ambient snack basket, and maybe even the pasta when that's the only main meal left.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.