Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA 'Mixed Fleet' cabin crew dispute [agreement reached]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 13, 2016, 11:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NWIFlyer
Routes to/from LGW*/LCY/STN are NOT affected. Only flights to/from LHR* are potentially affected. If you think you may be affected, post 2714 (click here) may be helpful.

*The LGW-JFK flight has seen a lot of cancellations for the current strike period.

Current strike period:
  • None

Next announced strike period:

Previous strike periods:
    • 25th December 2016 from 00:01 for 48 hours. (Strike action was suspended following ACAS discussions and revised offer.)
    • 10th & 11th January 2017
    • 19th January 2017 for 72 hours until 21st January
    • 5th-7th & 9th-11th February 2017
    • 17th-20th February 2017
    • 22nd-25th February 2017
    • 3rd-9th March 2017
    • 16th-19th June 2017 (suspended pending further ACAS talks)
    • 1st-16th July 2017
    • 19th July-1st August 2017
    • 2nd-15th August 2017
    • 16th-30th August 2017

Routes affected:
    As a possible indication, for the fifth strike period BA announced the following cancellations:
    http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27910044-post2131.html as well as flights to and from Doha on all affected days (17 - 20 February).

Mixed fleet routes are listed here, though note that other (non Mixed Fleet) flights from Heathrow are also being cancelled.

Note for context in terms of how many routes might actually be affected: there are about 4000 members of MF (of which ~2,700 are Unite members and therefore eligible to take industrial action) and 15,000 total cabin crew

Background Details from BA:
    Strike 19th July-1st August
    2nd August-16th August

Background Details from Unite:
    http://www.unitetheunion.org/news/br...ty-pay-levels/
    http://www.unitetheunion.org/news/br...refuses-talks/

Latest negotiating position:
    Talks at ACAS in June appear to have failed, with a further two week strike commencing 1st July announced on 16th June.

Key upcoming dates:
    • Latest negotiated position (@ 23rd Oct 2017) between BA & Unite to be balloted. Rumoured that the union is recommending acceptance.

Ballot results for industrial action:
    • First ballot, November 2016: Yes 79.5%, No 20.5%
    • Second ballot, December 2016: Yes 70%, No 30%
    • Third ballot, March 2017: Yes 56%, No 44%, turnout 72%
    Print Wikipost

BA 'Mixed Fleet' cabin crew dispute [agreement reached]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2016, 5:10 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
    Is the strike potentially greater than the announced two days? It seems odd that it would be isolated to only two days - is the possibility of future dates being announced looming out there? I'm good on my 12/22 outbound, but have a 1/1 return from VIE through LHR, which is on the list of affected routes.
    Old Dec 16, 2016, 5:35 pm

Originally Posted by OskiBear
    Is the strike potentially greater than the announced two days?

In a simple word, Yes.

The ballot gives the union a legal right to strike but there are a lot of 'i's to be dotted and 't's to be crossed to keep it legal. Strikes must be called in a certain amount time and a certain amount of notice must be given. I can't remember the exact parameters so don't know when your 1/1 flight will be 'safe'.

I would hold a lot of support for the cabin crew involved in this. Good luck to you all.
    Old Dec 16, 2016, 5:51 pm
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
    Originally Posted by paul78
    In a simple word, Yes.

The ballot gives the union a legal right to strike but there are a lot of 'i's to be dotted and 't's to be crossed to keep it legal. Strikes must be called in a certain amount time and a certain amount of notice must be given. I can't remember the exact parameters so don't know when your 1/1 flight will be 'safe'.

I would hold a lot of support for the cabin crew involved in this. Good luck to you all.
    The union must give the employer 7 days notice of a strike. So yes the Xmas strikes are possibly not the end of it. It all depends on the results of negotiations.

BTW I am also on a flight on the 1st but BA had said long haul is safe.
    Old Dec 16, 2016, 5:53 pm

If the staff aren't happy, they should just quit.

Life doesn't revolve about them, there are other jobs they can get (or for most of them, based on the BA requirement for an EU passport), I'm sure benefits are available for them.

Why become a pawn in the UK wide union struggle for power right now from the unions?
    Old Dec 16, 2016, 5:56 pm
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
    Originally Posted by Aus_Mal
    If the staff aren't happy, they should just quit.

Life doesn't revolve about them, there are other jobs they can get (or for most of them, based on the BA requirement for an EU passport), I'm sure benefits are available for them.

Why become a pawn in the UK wide union struggle for power right now from the unions?
    The strike is happening because the members voted for it. They are not puppets.

And as for your 'just quit' comment I'd like to see BA manage if 2,000 crew did just resign en masse.
    Old Dec 16, 2016, 6:06 pm
    sxc
    FlyerTalk Evangelist
    Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
    Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
    The strike is happening because the members voted for it. They are not puppets.

And as for your 'just quit' comment I'd like to see BA manage if 2,000 crew did just resign en masse.
    And unlike previous cabin crew strikes, these MF crew have nothing to lose. At these low salaries, they could be earning the same in other service industry jobs. Previously BA had some power because highly paid WW crew didn't have anywhere to go except retire. This crew can just throw in the towel.
    Old Dec 16, 2016, 6:18 pm
    Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
    Originally Posted by MarkFlies
    They could be affected if BA decide to cancel some routes and move crew to others.

To suggest some routes are safe from disruption is naive.
    Why is it naive? Your flights are outside the strike dates, moreover BA has said it will operate its long haul services to schedule with only MF short haul routes under threat of disruption. Now calm down dear.
    Old Dec 16, 2016, 6:23 pm

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
    Originally Posted by sxc
    And unlike previous cabin crew strikes, these MF crew have nothing to lose. At these low salaries, they could be earning the same in other service industry jobs. Previously BA had some power because highly paid WW crew didn't have anywhere to go except retire. This crew can just throw in the towel.
    Very good point. Although I should have just retired a few years ago the business my partner and myself have run for 35 years has seen us lose our long term full time employees through a combination of our automotive industry customers squeezing us to the bone, onerous government regulations and natural attrition and having to rely on a high percentage of temporary workers. If they decided to all walk on one day like MF we really are toast for at least a couple of weeks just like BA would be here if they just all just left.
    Old Dec 16, 2016, 6:28 pm

Programs: MyWaitrose, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond & BAEC Gold
    The BA Twitter team are having a bit of a hard time tonight. Not many people seem to agree with them.
    E.g.
    Old Dec 16, 2016, 6:40 pm

Originally Posted by chistery
    The BA Twitter team are having a bit of a hard time tonight. Not many people seem to agree with them.
    E.g.
    https://twitter.com/matt_aylmer/stat...94089592291328
    I just don't get why anyone would ever think that is appropriate for any formal presentation or document.
    Old Dec 16, 2016, 8:02 pm
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chistery
    E.g.
    https://twitter.com/matt_aylmer/stat...94089592291328
    Has WW ever had long hair? He might look quite handsome with a Bono-style. I'm not a fan of that short cut. Add a pair of red or green lenses sun specs it would be quite the look.
    Old Dec 16, 2016, 9:47 pm

Swiss port strike won't affect BA long haul's from lhr right
    Old Dec 16, 2016, 11:30 pm

Programs: LOTS
    Originally Posted by sxc

If the pay & conditions are so awful, why did these poor, naive people apply for these appalling jobs in the first place? The T&Cs haven't been downgraded since MF was introduced.

The worst thing about it is having the TV news screens full of the odious Len McClunky for the next few weeks until the Unite members capitulate, just as they did last time.
    Old Dec 16, 2016, 11:31 pm

As with most strikes, the unknown is indirect striking and staff support through sickness. BA cannot afford any other unknown on the day, either, including weather and technical issues but these will also be factored into their risk and contingency plans. Low load flights, including long haul, will probably be cancelled and merged with other services over the next week. I was flying to JFK during the last strike and got there but not on the flight I had initially booked.

I fully support the crew but this is likely to be another drawn out issue which will impact on bookings.
    Old Dec 17, 2016, 12:02 am
    Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
    A lot of this pre-supposes that WW will cover the MF flights. I would think that no flight is safe as safer everyone has been called off reserve, there is nothing left to cover the usual gaps for sickness.

I would take anything that BA say as posturing and make your own contingency plans.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.