Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA 'Mixed Fleet' cabin crew dispute [agreement reached]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 13, 2016, 11:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NWIFlyer
Routes to/from LGW*/LCY/STN are NOT affected. Only flights to/from LHR* are potentially affected. If you think you may be affected, post 2714 (click here) may be helpful.

*The LGW-JFK flight has seen a lot of cancellations for the current strike period.

Current strike period:
  • None

Next announced strike period:

Previous strike periods:
    • 25th December 2016 from 00:01 for 48 hours. (Strike action was suspended following ACAS discussions and revised offer.)
    • 10th & 11th January 2017
    • 19th January 2017 for 72 hours until 21st January
    • 5th-7th & 9th-11th February 2017
    • 17th-20th February 2017
    • 22nd-25th February 2017
    • 3rd-9th March 2017
    • 16th-19th June 2017 (suspended pending further ACAS talks)
    • 1st-16th July 2017
    • 19th July-1st August 2017
    • 2nd-15th August 2017
    • 16th-30th August 2017

Routes affected:
    As a possible indication, for the fifth strike period BA announced the following cancellations:
    http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27910044-post2131.html as well as flights to and from Doha on all affected days (17 - 20 February).

Mixed fleet routes are listed here, though note that other (non Mixed Fleet) flights from Heathrow are also being cancelled.

Note for context in terms of how many routes might actually be affected: there are about 4000 members of MF (of which ~2,700 are Unite members and therefore eligible to take industrial action) and 15,000 total cabin crew

Background Details from BA:
    Strike 19th July-1st August
    2nd August-16th August

Background Details from Unite:
    http://www.unitetheunion.org/news/br...ty-pay-levels/
    http://www.unitetheunion.org/news/br...refuses-talks/

Latest negotiating position:
    Talks at ACAS in June appear to have failed, with a further two week strike commencing 1st July announced on 16th June.

Key upcoming dates:
    • Latest negotiated position (@ 23rd Oct 2017) between BA & Unite to be balloted. Rumoured that the union is recommending acceptance.

Ballot results for industrial action:
    • First ballot, November 2016: Yes 79.5%, No 20.5%
    • Second ballot, December 2016: Yes 70%, No 30%
    • Third ballot, March 2017: Yes 56%, No 44%, turnout 72%
    Print Wikipost

BA 'Mixed Fleet' cabin crew dispute [agreement reached]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2017, 12:19 pm
    Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
    Originally Posted by simons1
    It's an estimate. It wasn't intended to be a precise figure.

Let's just settle for saying that several hundreds of BA customers will have been inconvenienced. Unless you are saying the planes were empty?
    Its not me making any estimate of passenger numbers so I have no idea why you are trying to ask me whether I am saying the planes are empty - I am not saying anything on passenger numbers.
    Old Jul 10, 2017, 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by KARFA
    Its not me making any estimate of passenger numbers so I have no idea why you are trying to ask me whether I am saying the planes are empty - I am not saying anything on passenger numbers.
    Ah ok. You seemed to be getting quite exercised I didn't have the exact numbers.

Many hundreds inconvenienced. I doubt that is far out.
    Old Jul 10, 2017, 12:50 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
    Originally Posted by Tafflyer
    But BA is not a generous corporation to its staff and they are certainly not doing this out of the kindness of their hearts. I believe it is a deliberate attempt to divide the workforce.
    I think Unite beat them to it by calling the strike
    Old Jul 10, 2017, 12:58 pm

Many hundreds inconvenienced. I doubt that is far out.
    Inconvenienced by how much?

I drive to work every day and get inconvenienced every time I have to stop at a red light. It doesn't ruin my day and I'm not about to sell the car and buy a season ticket for the train.
    Old Jul 10, 2017, 1:33 pm

Originally Posted by Agent69

I drive to work every day and get inconvenienced every time I have to stop at a red light. It doesn't ruin my day and I'm not about to sell the car and buy a season ticket for the train.
    If I'm traveling in my car I expect to encounter red lights. It's part of a normal journey. If I'm flying with BA I don't expect my flight to be cancelled. I'm not sure how they are similar examples.
    Old Jul 10, 2017, 1:53 pm

I don't think we ever expected to bring the operation to a grinding halt. However with every long haul going 2/3 crew down and 5-10 cancellations a day we're certainly causing a headache and I can only see it getting worse as the month goes on.
    Old Jul 10, 2017, 2:01 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
    Apologies if I have missed something, but for those crew or bods in the know, is this just an open ended strike? I see on the wiki there are dates but the duration is getting longer and the "gaps" shorter! I am due to fly over August bank holiday so am interested!
    Old Jul 10, 2017, 2:05 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
    Originally Posted by Can I help you
    BA seemed to have found some MF crew standbys from somewhere, not that I trust them to publish the correct figures.
    Originally Posted by Welcome On Board
    I don't think we ever expected to bring the operation to a grinding halt. However with every long haul going 2/3 crew down and 5-10 cancellations a day we're certainly causing a headache and I can only see it getting worse as the month goes on.
    Well I for one wish you every success. It's about time people stood up for themselves against the way things have been going. Crews go on strike, passengers vote with their wallets, perhaps shareholders can vote with their, well, votes.
    Old Jul 10, 2017, 2:05 pm

So glad this week's travel is on LX (shorthaul) and AY/AA (longhaul).
    Old Jul 10, 2017, 2:22 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club Gold, *G, EK Skywards Silver
    Originally Posted by Welcome On Board
    I want BA to sort this out. As a customer, I'm frankly fed up of both sides behaviour.

But - 2 points. There's only 3 cancellations that I can see tomorrow. 2 are on routes where BA partner with airlines which they have close commercial agreements with and who have multi frequency throughout the day. So limited impact.
    You say you can only see it getting worse as the month goes on but what's changed in terms of impact since this started back in Jan? Very little.
    Old Jul 10, 2017, 2:29 pm

Programs: Meh
    Originally Posted by Agent69

Old Jul 10, 2017, 2:58 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
    Originally Posted by surryson
    I want BA to sort this out. As a customer, I'm frankly fed up of both sides behaviour.

But - 2 points. There's only 3 cancellations that I can see tomorrow. 2 are on routes where BA partner with airlines which they have close commercial agreements with and who have multi frequency throughout the day. So limited impact.
    You say you can only see it getting worse as the month goes on but what's changed in terms of impact since this started back in Jan? Very little.
    Taking Saturday as an example a Miami flight was cancelled. There would be another departure to Miami and 2 x AA flights as well. Both passengers ended up being downgraded to Y one had onward travel on a separate ticket that fortunately AA were able to amend. Just because there are other flights to a destination on a given day it doesn't necessarily mean all will be rebookedthe same class.
    Old Jul 10, 2017, 3:18 pm

Programs: BA Gold
    Originally Posted by Tafflyer
    Well I for one wish you every success. It's about time people stood up for themselves against the way things have been going. Crews go on strike, passengers vote with their wallets, perhaps shareholders can vote with their, well, votes.
    Completely agree ^
    Old Jul 10, 2017, 3:24 pm

If I'm traveling in my car I expect to encounter red lights. It's part of a normal journey. If I'm flying with BA I don't expect my flight to be cancelled. I'm not sure how they are similar examples.
    The point I was making (apparently not very well) is that it is pointless saying thousands have been inconvenienced without quantifying the extent of that inconvenience.

I recently flew from LGW to TFS and the flight was over an hour late departing. I was inconvenienced, but it didn't ruin my holiday, and it won't stop me flying BA again.

With 100,000+ passengers a day it's going to take more than a couple of examples to justify any suggestion that the strike is having a meaningful impact on the traveling public.
    Old Jul 10, 2017, 3:44 pm

Location: Manchester but from Yorkshire better known as Gods country
    Programs: BA Gold, , Sandals plat
    If the figures @ post #2860 are correct then less than 25% of the MF support the strike. Over 50% don't even feel the need to be in Unite. With figures like that why would BA give in. Some costs will be offset by the full utilisation of aircraft by almagmating flights, wages not paid to strikers and the cancellation of staff perks. Any satisfaction gained by the strikers from customers leaving BA is shortsighted as a downturn in revenue would mean job losses and even tighter pay conditions in the future. As I've said before the NUM took on a strike they couldn't win and look how that turned out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.