Community
Wiki Posts
Search

IAG Capital Markets Day 2016

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2016, 1:33 pm

Programs: Don't even mention it. Grrrrrrr.
Originally Posted by Bluecardholder
I know a large US software company whose travel policy means that its staff can only travel in Y. Anywhere and for any length of journey. So just not the occasional traveller to see Mr Mouse.
This is fine as long as the CEO and Chairman do the same. Do they?
Old Nov 5, 2016, 2:05 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Banana4321
Can I have a guess?
Old Nov 5, 2016, 2:15 pm

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Originally Posted by Banana4321
Of course they only travel in the lowest class available. Often in small jets with single class only, like this one.

Old Nov 5, 2016, 2:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Exec Club, EI Aer Club, LifeMiles
Originally Posted by 1010101
Honestly I don't think the show me the money slide itself is too terrible, but it certainly shows the thinking and immaturity within BA management. They think they're in an investment bank circa 2006.

They have a solid business turning a healthy profit and delivering strong returns but they're obsessed with squeezing every last ounce of short term profit and screwing their customers to do it. No wonder there's so much negative sentiment about them.
Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
As someone who works in an investment bank, I'd agree with this. A lot of IAG's current management thinking is like a pre-financial crisis business to me, blithely unaware of what might be around the corner.
+1 to both of you. I'm loving both these analyses. They make so much sense, in complete contrast with much of BA management's muddled, one track thinking
Old Nov 5, 2016, 2:50 pm

Programs: BA LtG, Flying Blue Plat
I've spoken to AC before about CW, and it's very simple... he will consider any design that keeps the same density as the current layout. Nobody has designed anything feasible yet.

Having tried out the new Skylark seat I can say it is definitely nicer than current CW, but not radical, for the exact reason above. BA need the density to keep capacity! Seats are selling.

It's not all down to Cruz either, I suspect Williams left at the time he did because he knew what was coming...
Old Nov 5, 2016, 3:17 pm

According to my cabin crew contacts, Willie's "Show me the f...money" slide is a carefully crafted hint of the new "down marketing" campaign and will be the catch phrase for the new Buy on Board service. Pure genius!
Old Nov 5, 2016, 4:13 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Bullswood
According to my cabin crew contacts, Willie's "Show me the f...money" slide is a carefully crafted hint of the new "down marketing" campaign and will be the catch phrase for the new Buy on Board service. Pure genius!
Ironic then that you will not be able to purchase anything onboard with real money.
Old Nov 5, 2016, 4:50 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club RIP,BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by dptraveller
it might be a positive BUT the next sentence after they announced this was words to the effect of "this will allow us to significantly reduce staff at rebooking counters at airports, and also numbers of staff at our call centres" so lets wait and see what this looks like in practice...
I suppose self service re booking already exists www.easyjet.com
Old Nov 5, 2016, 5:14 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by ShuttleRunner
I've spoken to AC before about CW, and it's very simple... he will consider any design that keeps the same density as the current layout. Nobody has designed anything feasible yet.

Having tried out the new Skylark seat I can say it is definitely nicer than current CW, but not radical, for the exact reason above. BA need the density to keep capacity! Seats are selling.

It's not all down to Cruz either, I suspect Williams left at the time he did because he knew what was coming...
What is this skylark seat?
Old Nov 5, 2016, 5:28 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by cosmo74
£400m investment in CW: Ambition to create an experience that exceeds that of our key competitors

Transform food & drink - radical improvement in quality and presentation, increase choice through pre-order
Step change in service - premium service training, complete redesign of service routine, performance management
Best night’s sleep - new ambience to maximise sleep, better soft product including bedding, new seat in development
Best ground service - 'First Wing' opening at LHR in 2017, new LGW lounge opens in Jan 2017, new Boston lounge coming soon
I just flew AB ZRH-DUS-JFK --- pre-takeoff drinks and snacks ZRH-DUS plus a choice of 3 hot meals for the 60 minute flight and offer of seconds. Very tasty curry wurst. DUS-JFK very nice inflight meal - drinks with choice of nuts, potato chips or pretzel mix. Really very good fish main. Offer of extra appetizers, cheese and desert. Second meal was a really two cold quail breasts and a rasberry pana cotta, some more cheese. Seats are EY style in J - makes me wonder:

Is BA CW the worst OW TATL J product right now?

Originally Posted by gum
Thanks for sharing that info. With that new low pitch/seat spacing BA is definitely a low cost, no frills carrier.

Even one row more than Air Berlin in it's A321:
https://www.airberlin.com/de/site/se...atTyp=A321_200

and similar to a low cost carrier from Russia. I hope that this is not the new style of BA.....

Will be interesting to see of the customers accept this new low in comfort.
As noted above, AB offers pre-takeoff drinks and snacks in intra-European J -

Originally Posted by sts603
Realities of TATL and other business routes? So not the reality of lower yielding leisure routes? That makes no sense.

UA is moving to the Etihad style seat. AA has moved to the 77W Cirrus and 772 not-sure-what-to-call it seat both of which have more space than CW (the 772 is actually has more space than the 77W - it's just more efficient in terms of cabin placement). AAs 763s are another version entirely but again with space (just like DL's 763s).

Many airlines that went to the herringbone style seat have reversed course (see e.g., DL 777s and AC). Virgin hasn't.

But your point that most J cabins are as tight as CW is inaccurate and the market is certainly moving away from away from that including all three US airlines on the TATL routes.
It will be interesting to see what BA considers improvements -
Old Nov 5, 2016, 6:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by elitetraveler
As noted above, AB offers pre-takeoff drinks and snacks in intra-European J
^ Now that AB is offering intra-Europe J, I shall have to take a look at them again.
Old Nov 5, 2016, 7:03 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Calchas
^ Now that AB is offering intra-Europe J, I shall have to take a look at them again.
It sounded like in J you can have anything from BOB for free - seemingly as much as you wanted. After I finished my curry wurst, the FA asked if I wanted a second serving or something else.

In ZRH they use the Aspire lounge which as pretty grim, but that's the same as BA. In DUS the lounge was very dated, but not a bad selection - several different types of hot sausage, chicken nuggets, vegetable burger, liverwurst, salad components, fruit salad, several types of breads, including pretzels and pretzel bread. A very German buffet. You have to register for free WiFi - a bit of a clunky process.

In terms of TATL, I haven't been on EI's new J, but CW is IMO now behind AA 77W. AB, IB and AY I am sure many would say are either a bit better or worse than CW, but in terms of OW, CW is definitely very middling at this point.
Old Nov 5, 2016, 7:18 pm

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Spire Elite Ambassador, HH Diamond, Avis President’s Club
Originally Posted by Raffles
I have the image and will drop it into the Head for Points article on this tomorrow.
Thanks! I've read all 10 or so pages and I'm honestly confused about what was said/when and why.

Seems very unprofessional but anything can taken out of context. Looking forward to your article ^
Old Nov 5, 2016, 7:26 pm

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Spire Elite Ambassador, HH Diamond, Avis President’s Club
Originally Posted by mikebg
I, for one, am a high paying passenger, who used to fly First on another airline with Cirrus seats, and who moved to BA for a number of reasons, one of which being the far superior BA CW seat to the First Class Cirrus seat I was getting before.

Am I the only one? I don't think so. I have also tried the new Finnair Cirrus offering on their 350 and found it extremely uncomfortable.
I find the finnair a350 and Cathay a350 business seats really uncomfortable.

BA first brings out the worst in me, I overindulge in everything and don't get enough sleep. I'm self employed and decide my travel patterns and it's usually either economy on 777 or club world on a380/787/747

When in Y I eat my dinner in the Concorde room, take a sleeping pill and normally have the emergency exit row window seat. 9 times out of then the seat next to me is empty (no one I guess would pay £75 to sit in the middle seat). I normally get 12+ hour sleep and I'm ready for work when I arrive.

10 across on 777 will certainly make me think twice though
Old Nov 5, 2016, 8:33 pm

Originally Posted by mikebg
I, for one, am a high paying passenger, who used to fly First on another airline with Cirrus seats, and who moved to BA for a number of reasons, one of which being the far superior BA CW seat to the First Class Cirrus seat I was getting before.

Am I the only one? I don't think so. I have also tried the new Finnair Cirrus offering on their 350 and found it extremely uncomfortable.
Who uses the Cirrus seat for First Class?? I can only think of regional airlines.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.